Guide
There are quite a few books that don't look like anything special. Here's one:

Security Analysis

Message 1 of 1,978
latest reply
1,977 REPLIES 1,977

A book that looks like nothing.

Dennis -

You are worth your weight in ____________(insert valuable commodity of choice here)!

Personally I choose GOLD - even at today's rate of $1044.90 per ounce http://www.goldprice.org/!

Your persistence and reliability is invaluable and I certainly appreciate these regular updates!

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you for maintaining this valuable resource!
Message 1756 of 1,978
latest reply

I once found a copy of A Vanishing Race on the giveaway pile at a used book store (an antiques mall for used book sellers). It was a second edition not a first, the front cover was detached, the spine cover was also detached although inside the book and the book was missing 3 of the 80 or so photogravures of Native Amercans that the book was supposed to contain. I thought that I could break out the photos and sell them for $1 each when I set up at an antiques market. I took the book home and researched it. I found out that if it had been in good condition it would have been worth $1500 or so. I also found online art dealers selling the photos for $25-$50 each. So I put the book on eBay as is. It sold for over $500. (2 online art sellers bid against each other).
Message 1757 of 1,978
latest reply

http://cgi.ebay.com/To-Drop-a-Dime-Paul-Hoffman-Ira-Pecznick_W0QQitemZ130343198668QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Nonfiction_Book?hash=item1e590f5fcc

Sold for $500.
Hardcover edition of To Drop a Dime, by Paul Hoffman and Ira Pecznick. It's a mafia book from the mid 1970s. Checking over at Amazon shows that the mass market paperback edition is highly valuable too.
Message 1758 of 1,978
latest reply

You're right about To Drop A Dime.

Our local library was discarding their copy, so I sold it for them. It was in pretty poor condition with all the usual ex library problems, and it still went for $265.
Message 1759 of 1,978
latest reply

A pair of books:

The Pigeon, by Wendell M. Levi
The Encyclopedia of Pigeon Breeds, by Wendell M. Levi

In Fine condition, each of these books can be in the $100 price range. A few listed on ebay have the author's signature as well. Mine weren't quite so fine, but I bundled them for $125 and sold them.

That ain't just pigeon-feed.

Pat
Message 1760 of 1,978
latest reply

susank2010
Enthusiast
I am brand new to ebay. I have a signed book, by J. Paul Getty titled "My Life and Fortunes." 2nd printing, Oct. 1963, no dust jacket. I have tried researching the value and come up with nothing. Can you help me? FYI, I worked as an executive secretary for 8 years at Getty Oil and I was close friends with J. Paul's secretary so I know this was signed by him.
Message 1761 of 1,978
latest reply

Go to abebooks, advanced search, and enter "j paul getty" as author, no title and check the "Signed" box. The results are interesting...
Message 1762 of 1,978
latest reply

Hello susank2010,

I am unable to find any book signed by Getty. You might check other sites to see if you can find what his signature sells for. For example, there is a cancelled check of his being offered on ABEBOOKS.com for $150. I see his signature on cancelled checks going for $40 on other sites.

I'm sure his signature would enhance the value of the book, but the book isn't very valuable--a 1st edition with DJ goes for $17.50 on ABEBOOKS. I would guess that your book might sell for $10-$40

You should post your question on the following Bookseller Board thread: "Ask any question about any book Part II." Someone with more experience will show up to provide assistance.

Good luck.
Message 1763 of 1,978
latest reply

susank2010 -

This book? http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=1286821487&searchurl=an%3Dgetty%26bi%3D0%26bx%3Doff%26ds%3D30%26recentlyadded%3Dall%26sortby%3D17%26sts%3Dt%26tn%3DMy%2Blife%26x%3D81%26y%3D15

It looks like items with Getty's signature have a decent collector's price just looking at a few listings from Abe: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=j.+paul+getty&bi=0&bx=off&ds=30&recentlyadded=all&sgnd=on&sortby=17&sts=t&x=78&y=10 . Ignore the first couple of listings.

Since it doesn't have a jacket and isn't a first edition, you might also consider talking to folks at the Getty Trust: http://www.getty.edu/about/

and see if you can offer it as a donation, (be sure to get a receipt).

Good luck!
Message 1764 of 1,978
latest reply

Someone with more experience has already shown up! Keithweise is correct; there is a book signed by Getty on ABEBOOKS--an expensive one at that.

I would still be surprised if your book would be very valuable.
Message 1765 of 1,978
latest reply

I would still be surprised if your book would be very valuable.

Your $10-$40 estimate is where I would put it.
Message 1766 of 1,978
latest reply

susank2010
Enthusiast
Thank you for your help
Message 1767 of 1,978
latest reply

dependabledennis
Enthusiast
Damien Hirst first editions sell for much bucks!

Yes... but they look like something!

Some may say they look like something the cat drug in that the dog didn't want (re: skeletons on the cover).

On this thread we are looking for books that look like nothing... 8>[)
Message 1769 of 1,978
latest reply

I was cleaning out an old filing cabinet a friend has use for when I came across a piece of junk, pitched it into the circular file, had second thoughts, pulled it out, searched a bit, and found this:

Alphabet of Animals - Arroyo Seco Books (Pasadena, CA, U.S.A.) Mcloughlin Bros., New York, 1885. Paper / Linen. Book Condition: Fair. First Edition. 10 1/2" x 8 1/8". Scarce linen ABC for very young children. Covers are covered with paper illustrated in color, with about 40% of paper now perished, linen remaining. Interior pages each have 4 letters in red per page, with 4-7 lines of accompanying text in black (last page has six letters), with correspionding animal alphabet illustration in color on facing page, with another two facing pages of detailed drawings in black of 13 animals. We are not aware of any other copy offerred for sale for at least five years.

with a price of $147.50.

Describes my copy perfectly.

Ya gotta love those second thoughts.

Message 1770 of 1,978
latest reply