cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pricing: why do 2 EXACT SAME Beanies get ending prices of either $8.50 or TWO THOUSAND (2k) scam?

I have been researching this awhile, because I thought I had a collection worth TONS of money after checking the prices on ebay.  I feverishly looked up nuances & errors, took crisp detailed pictures of the supposed rare ones (the red pig (i am an amateur if you can't tell), the princess bear, curly etc etc etc (you know the ones that get WAYYY too much in auction)...  Then, I noticed something.

EVERY SINGLE AUCTION that ended with a high price only had one bidder, and that 1 bidder usually only had 1 feedback.  There are no complaints/returns on the auctions, everything seems normal.  Then, when you click "show original auction', it will say 'the buyer relisted the item, if you want to see current, click here".

There is some scam going on with overpricing Beanies (maybe inflate the market?  Maybe buy yourself and use a a tax deduction you sell vintage items??? I don't know!!!)

But what I do know is these Beanie Babies are worth less than 10% of what these super high (1k-10k)  auctions are showing... Something is off.  Not ONE of my big auctions sold and I purposely put them at much lower (but high-priced for my opinion, maybe $500 for ones selling for 5k), ZERO INTEREST.  Not one question, not one offer.  There is some kind of scam going on in the Beanie community, I just cant put my finger on it yet... yet!!! (by the way I am a very-versed IT Consultant and I WILL get to the bottom of this after wasting so much time trying to sell them!)

If you have ANY info or insight to this, please let us all know!  I have a picture of what I mean, but I cannot post it:  just search for princess beanie baby, choose 'sold items' on the left, then on the top right area, choose "price highest to lowest + shipping" and you'll see exactly what I mean?  WHAT IS GOING ON!??  I wish my princess was worth that much, I got really excited to think I could pay for my health care issues until I realized this was all a big hoax   😞

Message 1 of 42
latest reply
41 REPLIES 41

Pricing: why do 2 EXACT SAME Beanies get ending prices of either $8.50 or TWO THOUSAND (2k) scam?

Money Laundering?

Message 31 of 42
latest reply

@powell-memorabilia wrote:

Nobody uses eBay to launder money.  13 percent and you have to give up your personal info.  Max I pay is 5%.  

I think if you pay a professional Money Launderer you pay more like 50% to 75%, at least that is according to the movies.

Message 32 of 42
latest reply

@thebangletiger wrote:

Money Laundering?

Top 5 Unconventional Ways to Launder Money

https://www.trulioo.com/blog/kyc/unconventional-ways-launder-money

Message 33 of 42
latest reply

I feel your pain— I am in the process of downsizing and have health issues. Would have been nice to be able to see the few that I have for SOME payout— anything would help. But with prices all over the place I too found myself devoting WAY too much time re-inspecting my bears for defects, or other anomalies that increased their value. 

I think the donation bin is the best place now— wasted too much time already. 😑

Message 34 of 42
latest reply

Same stuff with me - I have one that said $10,000 - but found one for $10 that had the same started tag, etc. the whole thing is a scam and the media that covers the reselling of them needs to do their research!

Message 35 of 42
latest reply

I remember seeing a story about a mother who spent her childs college savings because she was convinced they were gonna be worth huge money in the future and she says she was duped. Mother in law said the same, " I have the rare ones and they are worth some big money" , sadly they have no value. 

Message 36 of 42
latest reply

ZOMBIE THREAD FROM 2021

Message 37 of 42
latest reply

Pyrex too.

Message 38 of 42
latest reply

You hit the nail right on the head....today was my rude awakening...we both pretty much did the same thing...such a waste and personal embarrassment. 

Message 39 of 42
latest reply

Old thread but here is the grift . Person A  has the item at super high price . Person B (Person A's friend ) Buys the item but doesn't pay for it . The item shows as a completed sale . Person A lists the item on FB or CL  for $500 and says look this just sold on Ebay for X $1200  so $500 is a good deal.

Message 40 of 42
latest reply

Seems like people thinking BB will sell but dosent and ebay racks up a fee to auto relist it and now owe ebay but it never sells 

Message 41 of 42
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 42 of 42
latest reply