latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Jake the duck? 1997/1998?

Oh dang, trying to figure out how to post pics. I’m new to eBay sorry 

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

@meno-6644 

It's a Beanie Baby.  Probably not worth your effort.

The Beanie craze withered away about 20 years ago, and most Beanies have diminished in "value" to only about 50 cents each.  You can find huge bins of these items at nearly every Goodwill and Salvation Army Store, plus many flea markets and antique malls.

The prices which you may find on the internet are highly inflated:  Most of these are "dream" prices, but with no basis in reality.  What counts is the actual SALE price, but ONLY for sales which are actually confirmed and consummated -- that is, actually shipped to a buyer, without any returns.

Most of these items were mass produced in the 1990s to satisfy the temporary hunger of Beanie fans -- but far too many Beanies became available, and the marketplace became flooded with excess and unwanted inventory.

Beanies were not a wise investment item for speculation purposes at the time of their manufacture; and their current "value" has depreciated severely during the last ten or so years.

Beanies are not inverted Jenny stamps -- just far too many available to satisfy a very limited hunger.

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

The best way to find out the value of something on eBay is to check out the "sold" listings.

For what  it's worth, my local church run thrift store sells Beanies for about 50 cents and, sooner or later, just about every one of them shows up there.  

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

You've mentioned that you are new to eBay.  Welcome.

If you ever have a reason to post a question here again, better details are important for experienced eBayers to offer you help or advice.  

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I have jake the duck in mint condition. Selling for $500. The value is much higher but i dont think that’s fair.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

@micwo-7337 

@meno-6644 

There are currently over 1900 "Jake the Duck" Beanie Babies on eBay -- so that item is not "rare."

Furthermore, the price range on eBay is from a low of $5.00, to a high of $24,995.00.

The real value is probably less than $1.00.

Nearly every Beanie Baby was deliberately over-hyped by an unscrupulous manufacturer as an "instant collectible."

They weren't -- and they aren't.

Anything that was initially promoted as an "instant collectible," and then manufactured in the tens of thousands (and probably more) in poor, third-world countries, and then sold to an unwary and deliberately gullible audience, is not a sound investment.

You need to understand the laws of supply and demand:  the huge supply of available Beanie Babies is counterbalanced by a very limited demand by contemporary buyers.

Not only has that ship sailed -- but it also sank.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thank you for being so kind!!!

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

@micwo-7337 

"Thank you for being so kind!!!"

Kind. . .no.

Bluntly honest. . .yes.

Message 9 of 9