cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help identifying these old beads.

Can anyone identify the larger beads in this necklace? They are not plastic. I am assuming the smaller one with the lines encircling them are glass. There are 2 different colors in the larger beads, a cloudy yellow and a kind of butterscotch color. Thanks in advance.IMG_0021.JPGIMG_0022.JPG

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi there,

I'm definetely no expert,but they look like an agate to me. I remember you saying that the one's in between are glass,but don't know if you said the big one's are glass.

The little one's look like crystal lined with gold maybe. Look for a bead and gemstone seller,with seed beads. ( They're smaller ).The higher the number in the description is,the smaller the bead. Like- an 11. seed beads' tiny,and a 6 is much larger.Don't know why it's like that. Go figure.

I'm sure a smarter more experienced person will be along shortly. It's the 1st. that came to mind. Agate.

Lacie 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

I think agate.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

These are some type of natural stone or agate and those difference in color is just a naturally occurring variation that is more obvious in those particular beads and perhaps the maker meant to showcase the contrasting color tones. I think i have some beads and will see if mine are labeled for sure. Just so you know, I was just shopping on beads of gemstone... Jade, for example (agate too I think) is dyed every color under the sun and chemical treatments to get certain effects I was amazed that such things exist. Anyway, if I can find your answer, I will return.... Those beads are pretty!
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Are they real cold to the touch? Stone is much colder than glass.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I have seen Jade those colors.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The streaky small rounds are Glass. I think that the larger ones are, also. They look like made in Japan circa 1950s..

Message 7 of 7
latest reply