cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beads of Courage

Hi! If you haven't heard about it, there is a tremendous (registered charity) program for kids fighting cancer (and their families) that is totally wonderful and completely about beads. You can be a part of it quite easily, and if you read about it, I think you will want to do so. Please do a search on the this thread name and find out all about this program of hope. If you search on "Honolulu Star Beads of Courage" you will find an article showing what this program means to the sick kids, their families and those who work to save their lives. This is a program created by beadmakers. All kinds of beads are used, so beadmakers of all types and skills can participate. Kids love wonky beads as well as perfect ones, sometimes more. The beads need to be cleaned, have no sharp edges, and be nickle-dime-pea size range, except for the "special" beads - which are about the size of a quarter. Happily, there is ALWAYS a huge need for "Purple Hearts" - given upon completion of treatment, and (sadly) there is a smaller, but steady need for Butterflys - which are given to the parents to complete the bead chain when a child cannot be saved. This is an awesome program which is only just starting to reach out to the many hospitals helping children. Please consider helping them in their mission. Our local group of beadmakers has a box being redied for shipment, and we are thinking about helping this program in other ways. I try to make a couple of purple hearts every time I get to the torch. If I can help connect you to an information source for this program, feel free to email me. Thanks for checking this out! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Beads of Courage

Milyn thank you for sharing this with us.. I read the article and it sxeems like a fantastic charity you are associated with Elise
elise
~a controlled pyromaniac ~

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass..
It's about learning to dance in the rain"
Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Beads of Courage

Hi Elise! Actually, I am not associated with it - except at the minimal level of participation, that of making beads and putting a box together to send off to the people who are doing the real work. I have thought about trying to get more involved, perhaps contacting hospitals in my area to see if they would like to be involved and then becoming a satelite assistant to the main organisation, but I haven't done anything about that as of yet... Time and previous commitments, you know? I do think it is a great idea though, and it really seems to help those who need help! Have a great day Elise - and all! Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Message 3 of 3
latest reply