cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring and restyline ponytail on #3 and #4 ponytail doll....Help!

I want to restore the original ponytails to my #3 and #4 ponytail barbies.   When I got them, their hair was a mess.  I have successully smoothed out their hair and wahsed it - it looks great - smooth and shiny.  I've got their hair into a nice-looking  ponytail,  with the top band fastened.  But I have two hurdles now that I can't seem to get over. 

First hurdle:  I want to wrap the top of the ponytail with a strand of hair, the way I've seen it on the vintage dolls.  I'm able to wrap it and it looks great, but how do I fasten the end of the strand of hair (the wrapping strand) so that it doesn't come loose?   Has anyone done this?  If so, can you tell me how you did it?

Sedond hurdle:  I want make a curl at the bottom end of the ponytail .  I've read that there is a way to do that to make it last.  Has anyone done that, and if so, how did you do that?

The dolls' hair would look wonderful if I could just do those two last things!  If anyone knows about it, let me know!   Thanks!!  🙂

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Take the longer strand that should be on the doll's right side, behind the ear, wrap it around the pony tail. Then, using a toothpick or something like that, lift a bit of the rubber band and tuck the end in. It's tricky.

For the curl, I believe people use a human setting gel, a small piece of tissue, and a very thin permanent curling rod. Wrap it up in the tissue (those found in human perm kits work, but even a piece cut from some white gift wrapping paper will do), after applying some gel, roll around the perm rod, and let set. When dry (probably a day or so), carefully unwrap, remove tissue, and comb into place if necessary.

Oh, forgot to say, you'd put another small band just above where the curl will start before all this. Then, you can tie a ribbon bow to finish.

I believe this is how it used to be shown on Krista's doll repair site, but I think she's removed her tutorials.

Sheila
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

That is so very helpful! Thanks!   I just now saw your reply.  I'm grateful!  I will try to follow that.  It sounds like something I can do, with some patience!  This is something that very few people know how to do.  Secret club!  🙂

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

You're welcome. This Flickr album post shows a picture, if you want to see how it looks:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/foxybelle/6972239800

Loads of folks know how to do this, it's just that many are providing as a service. 🙂

Sheila
Message 4 of 4
latest reply