cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

losing my SSDI benefits if i sell on Ebay?

I sold stuff on Ebay last year from my comic book collection. My City is Making me Get a Business License & a zoning permit to continue to sell on Ebay .. otherwise they will fine me $5,000.00. Now, I'm afraid I will lose my SSDI & insurance? I only get $900 and I cannot live off of that. I suffer from Severe Depression and Aniexty and cannot work. I have been disabled for over 20 years. This is completely Not right! Does anybody know what I can do so I don't lose my benefits? I don't get food stamps, and food prices have gone way up. Nobody can live off of $900 a month. My Rent is $750, Car Insurance $95, Cell phone $85, Internet $65. Not much left over for food, toilet paper, gas.... Please Help!

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @actionstuff 

You DO NOT lose your Social Security payments if you earn extra income.  You are allowed to make up to a certain amount without any adjustments.  If you make over that amount ... your SS will be reduced somewhat for that calendar year.

Talk to a tax accountant.  It should ease your mind.  Many people have incorrect ideas on this subject.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Talk to a tax accountant.

If you are selling items for more than you paid then you are a business and all income from those sales are counted as income. I hope you already knew that since you have been over 35k in feedback as a seller.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hi @actionstuff 

You DO NOT lose your Social Security payments if you earn extra income.  You are allowed to make up to a certain amount without any adjustments.  If you make over that amount ... your SS will be reduced somewhat for that calendar year.

Talk to a tax accountant.  It should ease your mind.  Many people have incorrect ideas on this subject.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

I have been on ebay since 1998, and I my Income situations have changed over those many years. At One time, I did have a business where I did gain a lot Feedback. I also have bought a lot on Ebay and received feedback for that as well. I was set up as a business then, but what I do now is not even a fraction of what i was selling in the 1990s. I just sell off books from my comic collection to get extra money to pay my Vet bills for my 2 cats, food, and gas. Ebay is not the same for everybody. I am in no way making a huge profit on stuff I paid more for many years ago. I know that some people do make a living wage on Ebay, but that's not me. I am just trying to keep myself from being out on the street. I am severely Depressed, and Ebay is kinda my Therapy, or Hobby. If I did not have Ebay, than I don't think I would even be alive right now.  I am a single 55 yr old woman that has nothing else to live for, but my 2 Cats. I have been battling Mental Illness for over 30 yrs. Please have an open mind that not all people on Ebay are having a Wonderfull Life behind the Laptop! 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Well then since you stated small profit you should be fine.. It still needs to be reported though.

Laws do not care about open minds. YOU asked for advice.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I did have a business at one time, many years ago, to get the high feedback. I have been on Ebay since 1996. Since 2016, I am selling my items at a loss, Not a profit. I am a collector of toys, comics, music memborbilia, & Books since age 5. I am in Garage-Sale Mode on Ebay. I have talked to several tax accountants, and they all say something different. Please keep in Mind - Every Situation is different. In many Circumstances, You should not have to have a Business License and Auctioneer License to sell items on Ebay. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

We are just fellow buyers and sellers here.  We have no authority and we are not eBay.  Consult a tax professional.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 7
latest reply