cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is a set break meaning in trading cards?

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@870earl wrote:

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. When I look at a card for sale or auction and the description says set break, duuhh !!

Lets say a seller has a box of cards, not knowing exactly what is in the box and they do auctions for a break (or whatever they call it).

They have 1 auction for Tom Brady cards from the package, the winner gets all the Tom Brady cards in the package, if there is any. If there isn't any, I think the buyer is out of luck.

Have a great day

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

@870earl 

From what I understand, you pay for a certain player or team from a package and you get what is in that package.

You might get 1 or 2 cards or none.

Have a great day
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. When I look at a card for sale or auction and the description says set break, duuhh !!

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Thanks for trying to help my dumb ass !!

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

@870earl wrote:

Lets say a seller has a box of cards, not knowing exactly what is in the box and they do auctions for a break (or whatever they call it).

They have 1 auction for Tom Brady cards from the package, the winner gets all the Tom Brady cards in the package, if there is any. If there isn't any, I think the buyer is out of luck.

Have a great day
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

@870earl 

Yes, the process is a bit bizarre, but now common in the trading card world. Here are three random listings that explain, within the description, how the process works, when a selection of boxes will be opened on video.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134266730663

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295257823826

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265922552858

There may be some listings where the word "break" is used to indicate the card was taken from a set and is sold as a single. So check the description if clarification is needed. But generally, a true "break" is listed in the "trading card box and case breaks" category. A single card would be listed in the "trading card singles" category.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

If that post has a number, for example # 47, does that mean he is gambling on getting a # 47 in that case break ?  Does the pic show the # 47 I suppose?

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Thank you that also helped.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Thanks Ken !!

Message 9 of 9
latest reply