cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can I do about a lost package when it's the post office fault?

Hi, I have a question. I bought an item from the seller and he told me that he had trouble with the post office losing an item he sent to someone else. He told me to let him know if it didn't come today, so I did. I looked at tracking, and my package hasn't moved since the day I ordered it. I'm not mad at the seller. I sent him a message and am waiting for a response. But if the post office is losing his stuff all the time, shouldn't someone tell them? Should I call them tomorrow with the tracking number? Or should the seller do it? He said he had another item lost. He offered to send me another item, but what if that one gets lost? The post office shouldn't be getting away with stuff like this.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @denita3515 

It's the sellers responsibility to deal with their post office.  If it loses packages on a regular basis ... then maybe the seller needs to drop off his packages at a different post office.  [Many sellers do that.]

You have eBay's Money Back Guarantee if you don't receive the package.  I would wait maybe a week or two after the estimated delivery date before filing an 'item not received' dispute.  That will give the package time to arrive ... and give you time to be refunded.

Should you ever receive a package after receiving a refund (because of late delivery) ... I hope you will repay the seller so that they aren't out both their money and the item.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It is up to the seller to deal with USPS and file a claim.  What you need to do is file an ITEM NOT RECEIVED dispute on ebay here:

http://resolutioncenter.ebay.com/

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Hi @denita3515 

It's the sellers responsibility to deal with their post office.  If it loses packages on a regular basis ... then maybe the seller needs to drop off his packages at a different post office.  [Many sellers do that.]

You have eBay's Money Back Guarantee if you don't receive the package.  I would wait maybe a week or two after the estimated delivery date before filing an 'item not received' dispute.  That will give the package time to arrive ... and give you time to be refunded.

Should you ever receive a package after receiving a refund (because of late delivery) ... I hope you will repay the seller so that they aren't out both their money and the item.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

The seller should talk to his post master if he has multiple lost packages.  There may be an issue at the processing hub near him. Or there could be an issue with how he is attaching his labels to his packages. There are many possibilities. 

The post office handles some like 140 billion pieces of mail each year.  A few are going to get off track, but almost all are eventually delivered.

If the seller can send a replacement, that is great, but if you have not received something within 30 days of the estimated delivery date on your purchase, you should open a not received claim so you can get a refund.

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Well I don't want a refund. The seller offered to send another item, but even if that item is lost too, it wouldn't be right for me to get a refund. 

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I'm waiting for the seller's reply. He told me to message him if the item didn't come today. 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Thanks. Sorry I'm late replying. The seller is sending a replacement and says he'll contact me again.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply