cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Seller increased shipping cost then blamed me for cancelling

I wanted an item that didn't show a shipping cost to my address so asked the seller if they were willing to ship to me and, if so, what they would charge.   The seller quoted an amount for shipping,  I made an offer, they counteroffered, and I accepted.  I requested an invoice with the agreed shipping costs but when the seller sent the invoice they decided to charge more for shipping (a 45% increase).

I noticed the higher than agreed shipping cost and asked for an invoice with the correct amount. The seller said they didnt think I would get "upset" and wanted more as they packed it in a different box and decided to get insurance. 

I asked a couple more times for the correct invoice and the seller first said they couldn't change it and that I should pay the higher amount and get a refund later, which I wasnt comfortable would happen, then said they would send the correct one but never did. 

I gave it some more thought overnight and then sent the seller a message saying that I wasnt willing to pay more than agreed but didnt want them to be unhappy either  (e.g., if they estimated the shipping etc. costs wrong and would be getting a bit less than they expected )  so I'd be ok if they chose to cancel. 

So then the seller did cancel, but decided to lie about the reason and blame the cancellation on me (said there was something wrong with my address).

I was trying to be nice by being willing to agree to the cancellation / not complain even though they first sent me an invoice with an increased shipping cost, then wouldn't send the correct one. 

Not sure if I should report them or leave non-positive feedback. I've almost never done that in almost 15 years on ebay but feel they should have honoured their original shipping quote (especially as the original, lower shipping cost was fair based on several similar items I've bought and was only a small portion of what I was paying them in total anyways as the item was small and expensive).  And when I agreed to cancel despite the above for the seller's benefit - even though I really wanted the item - I dont know why they would choose to say I did something wrong as the reason.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Seller increased shipping cost then blamed me for cancelling

@bethel2405 ,

You will need to contact eBay to get help with this. Ask the rep to read the buyer's messages to you.

To contact eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/help/contact_us?id=4822&st=10

You can ask them to call you. eBay opens at 5 AM PT.

I am not an eBay employee. I'm a US eBay Community Mentor.
Sunny

Message 2 of 2
latest reply