cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sales tax charged on buyers non-taxable items

My buyer lives in Texas and was charged sales tax on numismatic coins/bullion which are tax free in Texas.

Coins were properly listed in the  Collectibles & Art >Coins  category. It seems to me that coins should not be a sub-category of Collectibles and Art, but it's own category with it's own sub-categories. Anybody have an answer or solution to this problem?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Hi @beazley6462  Didn't coins used to be their own category?  Apparently not anymore.  According to the current list of eBay categories, as you pointed out, coins are a subcategory of Collectibles & Art.  There is no answer except to say it's challenging to figure eBay's logic sometimes.  Good luck! 

tenbigdogs_0-1713583619337.png

List of eBay categories: 

https://www.ebay.com/n/all-categories#collectibles-and-art

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

To ebay Collectable &Art is a taxable category. 

The non taxable category is Currency &Coins.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you. I know that normally that is the way things are. I spot checked several listings from other sellers as well as my own and unfortunately,  Currency and Coins have been placed as a sub-category to Collectibles and Art by Ebay. They don't seem too anxious to do anything about it either. One buyer had to wait around 3 weeks to get reimbursed for taxes that never should have been charged..

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Currency & Coins is its own category .

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

@beazley6462 

< Coins were properly listed in the Collectibles & Art >Coins category >     

Maybe that's the wrong subcategory.  I figure that JMBullion and Apmex should know what they're doing so I checked their listings.  Each one I checked was in the subcategory Collectibles & Art > ••• > Bullion > Gold > Coins.  

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi @beazley6462  Didn't coins used to be their own category?  Apparently not anymore.  According to the current list of eBay categories, as you pointed out, coins are a subcategory of Collectibles & Art.  There is no answer except to say it's challenging to figure eBay's logic sometimes.  Good luck! 

tenbigdogs_0-1713583619337.png

List of eBay categories: 

https://www.ebay.com/n/all-categories#collectibles-and-art

Message 6 of 6
latest reply