cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer threatening court

I sold a DVD set to my buyer (pics & details show it’s a burned set) She accused me of selling a bootleg copy, which honestly it could be, I don’t know as I purchased from another site and resold. If I’m wrong for that I take responsibility. She requested a return/refund which I happily obliged & sent her a prepaid return label. Then all of a sudden she said she turned my DVD’s into the police & still wants a refund. Said if I make her go back & get proof from police she will take me to court & turn me into FBI. I called eBay & they said not to send her any $ until I receive the item, but didn’t have any legal advice as in if she could take me to court. Just wondering if I should be worried. I’m not out selling 1000s of copies of bootleg films or trying to scam anyone.  She apparently went to police before even contacting me or eBay which is weird since I don’t even know if it is bootleg. Do you think I’m being scammed or could I get in trouble? She said I would be responsible for all court & lawyer fees so I’m nervous but didn’t do anything purposely & was upfront about what was being sold. 

View Entire Topic

Buyer has no reason to take you to court since she is authorized to get her money back. She didn't turn in the DVD because the comment about "if you make me go back and get proof from the police" the police are not going to give her back an illegal copy. All the buyer can do is take you to small claims for her purchase price, she can't prosecute you with her lawyers. 

You can't sell burned CD's that's what bootlegs are and you could get in trouble even if you bought them from a different site for reselling it.  She willingly bought burned DVD's (Bootlegs) is what it sounds like you are saying and if your pics and description show and say burned DVD's you would be right. 

Lets put this in perspective, she opens a return for item not authentic, you have to pay for the return postage and a complete refund. Between losing more money then you actually made, being in the wrong with an illegal item sale, possibly actually having the buyer report you, you could call her bluff and make her ship the set back for a refund OR...refund her now and call it a day as a lesson learned.