cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with eBay search

Has anyone noticed the problem of unwanted items or tricky sales tactics in search results? a simple search for thermal tops has been a nightmare of frustration and wasted time. I made sure to use "thermal" tops with the lowest price first to get exact results. The first results have been several kinds of compression or yoga belts. They show men in either one and a sliding price scale, such as 4.49 to 17.81, but the title is what was searched. If you click on it, a shirt is being sold but the belt is the low price and the shirt the highest.

It doesn't stop there though, scrolling pass the trick items a picture of thermals finally appears with a sliding price starting very low. Which could be reasonable  because they show a set, top and bottom. Possibly the highest is the whole set and one could buy just the top. Oh no, there it is, a yoga belt at the cheapest price.

This is happening all over eBay, they're glutting the lowest price search results with misleading sells practices. I've run into the same tactics buying everything from pantyhose to small office items. It's unfair to the average seller who is not really a high volume business. I've been around eBay for a long time and use it often, but lately it's getting too much to wade through pages of unwanted items to find what I'm need.

The search function itself is also causing problems . I use advance search but often need to adjust when I see the results. You used to be able to correct it right there and continue. Now it will often reset the location of the items to the worldwide default setting when you change part and click search. More time is wasted to reset it back to the US. It doesn't change all of your search perimeters, often it's just the location.

It has another glitch.  A search such as, Avatar the high ground came back with zero results but below it said results using fewer words showing item title after item title using the exact same words. At time it has also claimed few to no results with something I was looking for here in the US, but listed international results which were filled with results from right here in the US. I'm not going to go into searching for women's clothing items specifically under  "women" in the clothing section and having baby and little girls items matching the search term sometime filling the result pages.

I want to support eBay, it has many wonderful sellers and items, but more and more I give up and go elsewhere for common items because it's too time consuming to frustrating to deal with search. Search has went from an easy experience with the only problem being seeing too much of what you want to a pushy bear determined drag or chase you everywhere but where you want to go. And yes I've already sent feedback via the links but nothing changes. My concern is the sellers will lose money because others like me will eventually just go to another online store and buy whatever they need because they can't find it here buried under a ton of tricks and wrong search results. Eventually we'll all lose because there will be nothing left but high volume slick sellers who will only be competing with each other.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hi @wild2 

I feel your pain ... but I have the same problems with Search on just about every selling venue I use.  [Companies seem to feel that the more items they show us ... the more likely we are to buy something.]

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I hope regular sellers aren't being crowded out.  Over the years I've interacted with wonderful people and would rather spend money to support home and smaller businesses if possible.  The problem can be I don't have the time or energy ( health issue)  to spend scrolling through hundreds of pages to get pass all the bait and switch ploys that often fill  "lowest  price first" searches....and I've now developed a serious dislike for yoga belts....😞

Message 3 of 3
latest reply