cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Odd repeated behavior by buyers - make offer, offer accepted, then cancel transaction

I wonder if anyone else is seeing something similar to my experience. I've put an item (camera plus accessories) up for sale (or Best Offer). Someone makes an offer, I accept it, then they start messaging me (on eBay) asking about shutter count, condition, etc., all in poor English,  and then they cancel the purchase. This has happened three times now with the same item, all (supposedly) different buyers, offering the same $ amount, and the exact same behavior. This is very annoying and frustrating. Anybody else know what might be going on?

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

Odd repeated behavior by buyers - make offer, offer accepted, then cancel transaction

There may be an innocent explanation, but the repetition suggests an intentional strategy.

Possibly it is part of some scam, particularly if the "buyer" wants or insists on communicating outside of eBay. Many scammers seek outside contact information from new sellers so that a phony payment message can be sent to trick the seller into sending the item without receiving actual payment. If the seller refuses to violate policy and provide contact info, the scammer simply moves on to the next potential victim.

New sellers tend to attract more scam offers than actual offers.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply