cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OTC medicines removed because ebay says they're prescription? Support was 0 help

Hi all,

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I just had my account restricted for three days because ebay thinks that I listed a prescription medicine. I did not do that, the medicine I listed is over the counter. The medication is called pataday which is some OTC eyedrops. I figured since this was a small error, I could have a phone call and get it cleared up quickly.

I called in, got transferred to the listing department. The lady I spoke with told me that ebay had identified it as a prescription. I explained to her that it is not a prescription and their identification was incorrect. She simply repeated herself and told me something about the FDA. I once again repeated that it was OTC. She repeated herself and told me I needed to check the ebay policy page on this.

Now the ebay policy page does not list which medications they consider to be prescription. I asked her how could I know what I could list and couldn't list when what is considered prescription by ebay is different  from what the FDA considered to be a prescription. I asked her if there was a list of medications. I'll give her that she did at least look for that for me. But her answer was that there wasn't a publicly available list and to check with the FDA - I'm sure you can see a frustrating pattern here.

Basically the conversation went in circles a while longer with her ultimately not helping me. I'll be the first to admit that this is more of a rant post than anything, but I was hoping someone could help me with these questions:

1. Is there a list somewhere of what ebay considers "prescription"?

2. Is there a way to clear up when ebay gets something like this completely wrong? 

3. Is there any ebay employees in this forum that could possibly get me some help? I would call again but I just wasted 30 minutes of my life to have someone give me incorrect information and not assist me in getting my account working again. And I'd rather not do that all over again.

Ok that's the end. Thanks for anyone who can offer assistance or at least commiseration. 

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

OTC medicines removed because ebay says they're prescription? Support was 0 help

3. We are not eBay employees - we are members like you.

2. No - once the system has made a determination, nothing will get it changed quickly.

1. No - there is no known definitive list -  since it would need constant updating, eBay does not publish a list.

A google search says this is prescription, but I did find some links from last year saying it was being moved to OTC. So it would seem many databases are behind on this reclassification.

You could try customer service via social media - explain that the drug was reclassified OTC as of x/x/xx -  do the research and find the date - and ask how to get the appropriate department to review their classification.

Do this by posting a private message on twitter or facebook. The reps there can take the time needed to see if it is possible to request review,  or will tell you right away that it is not possible.

www.facebook.com/ebay www.twitter.com/ebay

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@hollon21   There is not a list of OTC banned meds.  

The problem might be because their website calls it prescription strength.

https://pataday.myalcon.com/eye-care/pataday/family-of-products/?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=Cj0KCQiAy4eNBhC...

When eBay removes a listing never try to relist it or you can be suspended.   

There is no way to clear things up when eBay removes an item.  Even if an agent says it's okay to relist the bots are usually not reset and the item is removed again.  

Comics-scifi_collectibles Is a Volunteer Community Mentor.
I have been a seller since 2003

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

@hollon21 

< ebay had identified it as a prescription >     

For what it's worth, I can personally verify that Pataday eye drops are over the counter.  I saw them on the shelf in Walgreens just today.  I ended up buying Clear Eyes brand, but Pataday was right there on the shelf, along with Clear Eyes, Visine, and what seemed like a hundred other brands but was probably more like ten or twelve.  

I googled for Pataday, and found their website.  It says now OTC, which means it wasn't always.  eBay's data base obviously is out of date and still showing Pataday as prescription. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Ok thanks, I thought maybe some ebay employees might frequent these forums to find out what needs fixing. As for pataday, there is a referenced sentence on the wiki about it being made OTC by the FDA in Feb of 2020. Thanks for your advice of contacting them via social media, I didn't really think of that.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Yeah that's exactly what I tried explaining to the support staff but she just more or less told me I was the one that was wrong... I purchased it over the counter so I think I would know. Oh well.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply