cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud, scammed

I was trying to buy a RV, they gave me information, so I give them my numbers off giftcard. They sent me emails that were from ebay, got scammed oit of $1000.00

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Fraud, scammed

@temal_1698 

Unfortunately, there is no chance of recovering your money.

Still, you should report the fraud to eBay and the FTC using the links on this page - 

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/paying-items/protecting-gift-card-scams?id=5156&st=3&pos=7&query=Pr...

And report it to the FBI at www.ic3.gov

wooden_flower Volunteer Community Mentor.
eBay member since 2001.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Fraud, scammed

They sent me emails that were from ebay

Those emails were not from eBay, they were from the scammer.

Beware scammers who advertise on other sites and tell you that the transaction will be handled through eBay.

That is not how eBay works. eBay does not rely on users finding ads on Facebook or other sites and sending contact information to a seller. Likely the seller will send a phony "invoice" that appears to be from eBay but is not, asking you to pay with gift cards to have the vehicle shipped to you for a free evaluation period.

eBay has no warehouse and does not ship vehicles. eBay does not handle such transactions or provide "vehicle protection orders". Scammers often promise those things, though. Any phone number you may receive on such an "invoice" does not connect to eBay, but to the scammer.

Anyone that asks you to purchase gift cards or to send card codes to them to complete a transaction is trying to take advantage of you. Anyone asking for a gift card is looking for a gift at your expense. Once anyone else knows the code, your money will be gone and you will have no recourse.

See here for some info about avoiding such scams (US links):

https://pages.motors.ebay.com/buy/security/index.html

https://www.fbi.gov/scams-and-safety/common-fraud-schemes/online-vehicle-sale-fraud

The only way to purchase a vehicle on eBay is to sign in to eBay, find the vehicle on eBay and complete the checkout process on eBay, so that the item appears in your Purchase History. Then you typically meet the seller to inspect the vehicle, pay the seller, and collect the keys, title and vehicle.

If you encountered an ad on another site, contact that site to have the ad removed. eBay is not involved with any ads listed on sites other than eBay itself.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Fraud, scammed

At least you “only” lost the original amount.  We have people come here all

the time who first paid that first amount, then were told they need to pay another $1000 for shipping insurance (and they pay that), then they get hit up for another $500 - $1000 ( the scammers are going to try to get as much as they can out of someone), then after having lost at least the first two payments, maybe more, and come then to ask if it’s a scam.

GloryBells  • 
eBay Mentor Since 2008

Message 4 of 4
latest reply