cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fake buyers making overpriced offers to pull scams

Scammers are creating accounts and making offers on items the same day. These offers are over the asking price to get the seller to accept and then is asked to send the item to a different address out-of-country(i.e. Nigeria). Easy to spot because the offers don't make sense and the age of the account is easily seen. Where do I go to report buyers immediately. ronaldchri-0 just offered me a cent higher than my asking price instead of just buying my item. The account was created today so I know it's fake. eBay really needs to require more to create an account and start making offers. This is a serious security issue!

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

@tygermyk1

You're a new seller selling expensive items, which makes you a scammer magnet. Listing with Best Offer doesn't help. You might consider listing as fixed price, for the price you want, and with the Immediate Payment required box checked in the listing form.

You can cut down on contact from scammers by going to your My eBay > Account tab > Site Preferences > Selling Preferences > Buyer requirements and block buyers who:

- Don't have a PayPal account
- Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 12 Month(s)
- Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)
- Have a feedback score of -1 or lower

Check the box at the bottom to prevent blocked buyers from contacting you.

These scammers don't have PayPal accounts, so they will not be able to contact you once your preferences are set.

Remember to always confirm buyer paid by viewing paid transaction after logging into your PayPal account before shipping.

When I read your remark about wanting a buyer to have been active for a few months, I interpreted it as meaning that it's okay for the rest of us to take a chance with newbies, but not you.