cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining two orders for the same buyer into one

If a buyer makes 2 separate payments for 2 items, my understanding always was that I needed to have 2 separate packages shipped with 2 separate tracking numbers to protect myself.

Under Bulk Shipping, it says:  

"I have more than one order from the same buyer. Can I combine them to ship them with just one label?"

"Yes! After all your orders load, a "Combine orders" banner will appear at the top of the page if there are at least two orders from the same buyer. Click on the button to combine these. The combined orders will have a grey icon next to all the Sales Record Numbers that have been combined for this order."

Is this something new that will protect me if the buyer opens an "Item not received" on one if I package together?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @ang103craftsandstuff 

No, this is not new. You can combine purchases using bulk shipping or you can purchase a label for one order, then copy and paste it to the other orders that are included in the same package.

Just be aware that you can only do this when the buyer ID is the same (which is usually the case). Sometimes buyers use guest checkout. When they do, each purchase has a unique (though usually VERY similar) buyer ID assigned to it. In that case, even though the orders are going to the same address, you will not be able to add the same tracking # to orders from different buyer IDs.

Inceptions
Volunteer Community Mentor, buying and selling on eBay since 2004

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Thank you for the response! 

So if I add the same tracking number to the second order and ship them together, even though the buyer made 2 payments, I am still protected if they open an item not received for one? 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Can someone from ebay verify this answer for me, please? USPS is just making more money on separate shipments when the buyer makes 2 separate payments for 2 items.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Hi @ang103craftsandstuff 

The answer to your new question is that a buyer can lie whether you pack two items that were paid for together into one box or two items that were paid for separately into one box. The separate payments have no impact. If the buyer says the item wasn't received, but you have the tracking #, you'll win. If the buyer says the item was not as described (because what the package they received didn't include the item, you'll lose).

No one from eBay is here - this is the Community Mentor board. You can contact eBay if you like, but you've already read in eBay Help about how you can accommodate your buyer and I've already confirmed it.

I always use Bulk shipping, but alternatively, you can click Purchase a label next to one order, adjust the size and weight of the package, complete the purchase, and upload the tracking to the other transaction.

I've been shipping multiple purchases together for buyers for 19 years and haven't had one open a case claiming something was missing yet, but that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Inceptions

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thank you.

Just seems that someone that purposely makes 2 separate payments will make the claim that only one was received. 

I appreciate your help.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Not necessarily...

Many buyers don't understand how the shopping cart works. Some buyers make a purchase, then decide to keep shopping and find more to buy. Some may decide as a afterthought that they want two instead of one so they can give one as a gift. Some make mistakes and realized they forgot to change the quantity. I could go on and on...

Out of close to 74,000 items shipped over 19 years, combining separate purchases all week long if not daily, I can assure you that it's only the few dishonest buyers who will do this (and I haven't encountered one yet). A dishonest buyer will find a way to cheat you regardless. He doesn't have to waste time making two transactions and hoping you'll combine them in order to do it. He can easily do it with one purchase.

Inceptions

Message 7 of 7
latest reply