cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usabata Ikebana Vase

20210209_124720.jpg

With this sort of paper work on my vase, where do I go to have it appraised?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Usabata Ikebana Vase

Ah yes, life happens.  😀

It would be interesting to see the Usabata.  In fact, there isn't too much more I can tell you about it - if anything - without seeing what it looks like and details.  As for marks, not too many have a signature, but it is usually on the bottom of the pan.  Any design has to be seen to determine 'quality' of the work.  And so on.  It might be easier to find a shop in your area that could help you out, however, I will be glad to tell you what I can from whatever information/photos you might care to post.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Usabata Ikebana Vase

Can you post a photo of the usabata?  At today's rate, the 45,000 Yen is about $420.00, however, it would depend on the quality of the piece(s).  Is it inlaid?  How is the patina?  Is it actually an antique or a tourist piece?  Is it a signed piece?

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Usabata Ikebana Vase

Thank you for the reply and sorry for the long response time. The Vase in exquisite condition, mild inlay, clean with a beautiful dark patina. The metal content is clearly high bronze with very little iron, and as of age, as the paperwork I posted shows, it was over 100 years old when purchased in 1980. Are there markings I should be looking for to tell the maker or era? If you are willing to help me with this I will happily acquire pictures. Again I apologize for the long response time as the forum is a bit foreign to me

Thanks

M

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Usabata Ikebana Vase

Also, thank you for converting the Yen for me as if the Vase was $400+ in 1980, purchased in China, I'm happy that there would be general financial growth. 

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Usabata Ikebana Vase

Ah yes, life happens.  😀

It would be interesting to see the Usabata.  In fact, there isn't too much more I can tell you about it - if anything - without seeing what it looks like and details.  As for marks, not too many have a signature, but it is usually on the bottom of the pan.  Any design has to be seen to determine 'quality' of the work.  And so on.  It might be easier to find a shop in your area that could help you out, however, I will be glad to tell you what I can from whatever information/photos you might care to post.

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Usabata Ikebana Vase

Thank you. You have provided more insight than I had in the past. It was my late mothers and very special to her as a Florist, I want to make sure I have all the information on it I can get. I'm in NYC and a lot of the shops buy as well as "appraise" and we know how that can turn out. Really, just converting the yen on the original receipt for me gave me a good idea of it's probable worth. Also, I did some digging and I can actually have it looked at by the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens for free. If you would like to see it for your own curiosity I would happily send along some shots. 

M

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Usabata Ikebana Vase

The Botanical Gardens should be an excellent place to garner an opinion and information.  I appreciate the offer of a photo, but I have a feeling that you have better things to do, but thank you.  You mention that your mother was a florist, then I would suspect that it is one of better quality, as well as in better condition that many I have seen.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply