cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can ANYONE tell me what this Wood Antique BOX might be? WINDER? for String Yarn Textile Lace Tatting

Dimensions are 9 1/2" in overall height. 6" deep and 6" wide. There are four removable pins and a small drawer. The drawer has decorative cuttings on either side. The backing is wood from an old cigar box. The box has dovetailed construction. I have owned it for more than 30 years and never looked into what it might possibly have been used for. The eBay community has never let me down. I hope someone can shed some light on this mystery box. winderbox - 1 (1).jpegwinderbox - 1 (1).jpegwinderbox - 1 (2).jpegwinderbox - 1 (3).jpegwinderbox - 1 (5).jpegwinderbox - 1 (6).jpeg

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Can ANYONE tell me what this Wood Antique BOX might be? WINDER? for String Yarn Textile Lace Tatting

@rogersrr wrote:

Actually to me I see a jewelry box that once had carousel horses on the wires but the horses left the stable. Just my opinion.

Now, that sounds like a good possibility!

Also you made me think of another possibility. The wires could have been used to hold spools of thread, or sewing machine bobbins. You could put 2 or 3 spools, or a few more bobbins onto each pin.

Here's a similar one, not exactly the same. They both look like they were probably made at home, probably as a gift for a wife, mother, or daughter.

image.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It doesn't look like the reel would turn, with the metal pins in place. And I can't think how it could be used to wind something onto it without the pins, or without turning.

It's not a tool that I recognize for spinning, lacemaking, knitting or weaving.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

@saintsantiques wrote:

Could it be a type of Lazy Kate?

https://www.etsy.com/listing/889209246/antique-lazy-kate-yarn-spinner-hytte

No, not really. I considered that but this really wouldn't work.

A Lazy Kate is used to ply singles into a multi-ply yarn, so they have to be able to hold at least two bobbins, usually 2 or 3, and the bobbins are the same kind that are used on a spinning wheel. You spin about the same amount of a single yarn onto 2 or more bobbins on your spinning wheel, and then you put all the bobbins onto the Lazy Kate so that you can ply the singles together onto another bobbin on your spinning wheel. All the bobbins on the Lazy Kate have to be able to spin freely.

This only has a single reel (or bobbin if you want to call it that) and it wouldn't work on a spinning wheel, so you couldn't spin the single yarn onto it to begin with.

I also considered whether it might part of a squirrel cage swift, the reel looks kind of similar to that. But again, the reel would need to spin freely, and there needs to be two of them to act as a swift. You stretch a skein of yarn around the two reels so that you can wind the yarn off the swift to make a ball. It's more efficient than getting your hubby (or a child) to hold the skein on their hands. But this doesn't look like it would work as part of a swift, either.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

sorry, certainly dripping with patina, tramp art at best. 

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Actually to me I see a jewelry box that once had carousel horses on the wires but the horses left the stable. Just my opinion.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

What about for lace making? I know you need several skeins? spools? going at the same time and the metal skewer things look like they would hold several in place. 

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Based on the dimensions and description you provided, it's difficult to determine the exact purpose or use of the mystery box without visual reference or additional information. However, I can offer some general insights based on the details provided.

The dimensions of the box, with its height of 9 1/2", depth of 6", and width of 6", suggest that it is a relatively compact and small item. The presence of four removable pins and a small drawer, along with decorative cuttings on the sides of the drawer, indicates that it may have been designed for storing or organizing smaller items.

The fact that the backing is made from wood sourced from an old cigar box suggests that the box may have been repurposed or crafted using recycled materials. The dovetailed construction indicates a level of craftsmanship and attention to detail.

To identify the specific purpose or use of the box, it may be helpful to provide additional details or photographs. This could include close-ups of the decorative cuttings, the drawer, and any other unique features of the box. Sharing these images and details with the eBay community or experts in antiques and collectibles could potentially provide more insights and help shed light on the mystery.

Remember that the eBay community can be a valuable resource for identifying and learning about various items. Sharing your description and images on appropriate eBay forums or seeking the advice of collectors and enthusiasts may increase your chances of finding information about the purpose and history of the box.

Please note that I am an AI language model and do not have the ability to physically see or examine the box. The information provided here is based solely on the details you provided.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@saintsantiques wrote:

What about for lace making? I know you need several skeins? spools? going at the same time and the metal skewer things look like they would hold several in place. 

Sorry, no. Bobbin lacemaking requires more than several bobbins, and they look like this while they are in use. A narrower piece of lace would need fewer bobbins, but most often there are at least a dozen.

Needlelace making uses a needle and thread, one at a time, so not that either.

image.png

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@rogersrr wrote:

Now, that sounds like a good possibility!

Also you made me think of another possibility. The wires could have been used to hold spools of thread, or sewing machine bobbins. You could put 2 or 3 spools, or a few more bobbins onto each pin.

Here's a similar one, not exactly the same. They both look like they were probably made at home, probably as a gift for a wife, mother, or daughter.

image.png

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

WOW!!! Had  no idea! Well, I'm certainly learning a lot from you on this thread. Thanks for the photos and all the details you provide.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

I think you have identified it!

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Definitely sewing storage. My mom had one similar to this decades ago. The removable wires are for spools of thread, and the drawer did misc buttons, etc. My mom’s had a removable cushion top for pins and needles. 

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Thanks to everyone for reaching out with ideas of what this wonderful old box might be. After reading each and every comment I believe that Lacemaker3's  picture and comment really put a name to this wonderful old box. Like someone said, probably handmade by a Husband or Father for his wife or daughter. Thanks again to each and everyone one of you. I have learned sooooooo much from your comments. Have a great weekend.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply