cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Antique salt and pepper shakers...

I found these while cleaning out my dads utility room. Antique salt and pepper shakers, unsigned. Quite corroded, as you can see. Not sure how old they are, what metal they may be made of. Any ideas out there? Thank you!2018-08-10 19.18.34.jpg2018-08-10 19.18.53.jpg2018-08-10 19.19.20.jpg

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Anonymous
Not applicable

How old are your parents? Possibly take their age when married and research that decade. These could be from the 60's. How much do they weigh? That will give you another clue as to the metal.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Looks early twentieth century stylistically, my guess is the material is pewter, though I suppose it could be silver plated copper but looking at it I just really doubt it. Either way it’s a molded piece, not the highest quality of manufacture for the time. Not worth much as is imo.

It does look as if there may be markings to base tho, There’s a mold number, probably related to size, and something faint in hand written type, looks like ‘Ol’ and the rest is indiscernible from the photo. I would shine it under bright light at an angle or maybe take more contrasted photos and invert the colors to get a better chance of reading it. Good luck 👍🏻
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

A friend of the folks, into antiques, thought the shakers might be made of lead?

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

The folks are in their late 80's

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lead would be very heavy! My brother and dad used to make lead soldiers (yikes) in the basement back in the 60's! I guess we didn't know how dangerous that was back then. If they are light then pewter. By their ages I would suspect these were bought in the 1950's. Pewter seems like a good guess. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply