cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with a question about MOHAIR...

Help! I have a potential bidder who wants to know if my vintage elephant pull toy has mohair.... His hair is short & worn in spots, plus it's old & I imagine a bit dirty. On Teddy bears with nice long hair, Mohair is shiny & thick. How do you tell on a vintage stuffed toy like Mr. Elephant? Accepting ALL advice on this...! Thanks, Kathleen
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Hi Kathleen, I sold a teddy bear with Mohair once. I looked up sites on google regarding Mohair and there is a lot of people that raise the goats to make it. A lot of them have websites or email to contact them. Try some of them to see if they can help. I wish I had more to offer. Good luck and by the way I looked at your auction and its a NICE one!!!! Have a NICE Thanksgiving! God Bless, Donna -- Donna
Photobucket
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Hi....Their are a lot of books written on this,had a similar bear up for auction last year,thought it was mohair,but ,turned out to be a maker by Great American with similar style-design,not much help,theirs lots of help on bears,someone will come along soon
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Thank you to our member April, (jojobearauburn)for sending me this link. Hope it helps someone else, so I'm posting it here... http://reviews.ebay.com/Identifying-Mohair-vs-Synthetic-plush-teddy-bear-amp-toys_W0QQugidZ100000000...
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I tried the recommended test on both Elephant & Teddy Bear...NEITHER were mohair! THANK YOU SO MUCH! You saved me from making a BIG mistake on that teddy bear listing! (I changed Teddy's listing & I never thought elephant was mohair, but a buyer had asked...) Kathleen
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

morefondmemories
Enthusiast
Kathleen, he is absolutely adorable! Design on blanket looks Russian to me & he is a growler. It's hard to tell for sure, but the material I see underneath near the eye wear looks like the type used for mohair. What is the body stuffed with? Straw or cotton? Straw will be very firm & feel a little crunchy from age. Cotton is much softer easier to sqeeze LOL! Are the eyes glass=I can't remember I was so busy looking at your super photos. I am so tempted to bid on him. I just need to find a space big enough in the next few days. I also checked out your humped back teddy. He's Very cute with all his curls. Your photos are outstanding! But, he looks newer to me. Something I see or don't see in the hand & foot pads & the face=should be more wear or are the curls covering it? Happy Thanksgiving. slenda
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

morefondmemories
Enthusiast
I never did find any space for ollie=the elephant, which is good seeing that I could NOT have kept up with the bidders. Congrats Kathleen!
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Thank You! I about fell off of my chair when that auction ended! I was so excited that I accidentally yelled REALLY loud (in front of my children) "Holy S***!" LOL! She has already paid & he was shipped today. Some days I really LOVE eBay! 😉
Message 8 of 8
latest reply