Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An ArtLESSON

I invite you to add from your theoretical knowledge
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

An ArtLESSON

Islamic art: encompasses the arts produced from the 7th century onwards by people (not necessarily Muslim) who lived within the territory that was inhabited by culturally Islamic populations. It includes fields as varied as architecture, calligraphy, painting, and ceramics, among others. Islamic art is perhaps the most accessible manifestation of a complex civilization that often seems enigmatic to outsiders. Through its brilliant use of color and its superb balance between design and form, Islamic art creates an immediate visual impact. Its strong aesthetic appeal transcends distances in time and space, as well as differences in language, culture, and creed. Islamic art not only invites a closer look but also beckons the viewer to learn more. Islamic art presents a certain stylistic unity, owing to the mobility of artists, merchants, rulers, and the works themselves. The use of a common Arabic script throughout the Islamic world, and the particular value placed upon calligraphy, assisted in reinforcing this unity of style. Nevertheless, the great differences in form and ornament between countries and eras has led many to speak of the “arts of Islam” rather than the more singular form of the phrase, “Islamic art.”
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

No first hand knowledge of the subject. Some of the stores at the bottom have nice pieces: http://shop.ebay.com/islamic-art_W0QQ_nkwZislamicQ20artQQ_catZ550
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

The kid is not for sell...:8}
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

ICONOGRAPHY In various traditions, a principal vegetal pattern is analogous to a sacred tree symbolizing eternal life, growth, renewal and fertility. Certain forms of cypress, vines and palm trees often appear as Visual metaphors for "the tree of life".
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

An Uzbek Suzani The meaning of the word suzani is a "needle work". Its origin is from Uzbekistan, and the suzani is mainly produced in the following cities: Tashkent, Buchara and Smarkand. 150 years ago, women didn’t go to school. As a result, their main employment was to weave. This occupation was taught by a mother to her daughter and so on. The fabric itself was woven in a loom and its width was between 20 cm-50cm. After the suzani was woven, the strips were attached together. The embroidery threads were woven from silk worm and they were painted by natural colors.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

ABOUT THE HAMMAM The hammam (Arabic) ḥammām حمّام, Turkish hamam, or Turkish bath is the Middle Eastern variant of a steam bath, which can be categorized as a wet relative of the sauna. They have played an important role in cultures of the Middle-East, serving as places of social gathering, ritual cleansing, and as architectural structures, institutions, and (later) elements with special customs attached to them. Europeans learned about the Hammam via contacts with the Ottomans, hence the "Turkish" part of the name.
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

Interesting items.........
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

Hookah A Hindustani: हुक़्क़ा / حقّہ (huqqa) is a single or multi-stemmed (often glass-based) water pipe device for smoking; originating in India, that has gained popularity, especially in the Arab World. A hookah operates by water-filtration and indirect heat. It can be used for smoking many substances, such as herbal fruits and tobacc.. Depending on locality, hookahs may be referred to by many other names (often of Arab, Indian, Turkish, Uzbek, or Persian origin). Arghile or Narghile is the name most commonly used in Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Jordan, Turkey, Albania,Greece, Israel, Bulgaria and Romania, though the initial "n" is often dropped in Arabic. "Narghile" is from the Persian word "nārgil" or "coconut". In Sanskrit nārikela (नारीकेल), as the original, primitive hookahs were made out of coconut shells. Shisha (شيشة) is from the Persian word shishe (شیشه, literally translated as glass and not bottle), and is primarily used for water pipes in Egypt and the Arab countries of the Gulf (such as Kuwait, Bahrain, Qatar, UAE, and Saudi Arabia) as well as Morocco, Tunisia, Somalia and Yemen. In Iran it is called ghalyoun or ghalyan (قليان) and in India and Pakistan it is referred to as huqqa (हुक़्क़ा). حقّہ).
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

Passover is the 8 day observance commemorating the freedom and exodus of the Israelites (Jewish slaves) from Egypt during the reign of the Pharaoh Ramses II. A time of family gatherings and lavish meals called Seders, the story of Passover is retold through the reading of the Haggadah. With its special foods, songs, and customs, the Seder is the focal point of the Passover celebration. Passover begins on the 15th day of the Jewish month of Nissan.
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

star of david The Shield of David or Magen David in Hebrew, מָגֵן דָּוִד with nikkud or מגן דוד without, academically transcribed Māḡēn Dāwīḏ by Biblical Hebrew linguists, pronounced (in the International Phonetic Alphabet) in Modern Hebrew and Mogein Dovid or Mogen Dovid in Ashkenazi Hebrew and Yiddish is a generally recognized symbol of Jewish Community and Judaism. It is named after King David of ancient Israel; and its usage began in the Middle Ages, alongside the more ancient symbol of the menorah. Geometrically it is the hexagram. With the establishment of the State of Israel in 1948 the Star of David on the Flag of Israel has also become a symbol of Israel
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

HANUKKAH (‎ also spelled Chanukah), also known as the Festival of Lights, is an eight-day Jewish holiday beginning on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may fall anytime from late November to late December. It celebrates the re-kindling of the Temple menorah at the time of the Maccabee rebellion. The festival is observed in Jewish homes by the kindling of lights on each night of the holiday: one on the first night, two on the second, and so on..
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

Interesting History,thanks for posting
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

If you have a jewish friends, it will nice to bless them in 4.12.07-12.12.07
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

An ArtLESSON

I have a plate that i am unsure of i dont know what the writing is on it i thought maybe hebrew or greek maybe you can help me with it. but right now i am ignoring myself so i will have to do something about this..im off to see the wizard this is aweful. lol.
Message 15 of 17
latest reply