cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vintage Taxco Mexico Sterling Silver 925 Black Onyx Bracelet Carved Aztec Panel. Not Sterling silver

Vintage Taxco Mexico Sterling Silver 925 Black Onyx Bracelet Carved Aztec Panel. They are all marked sterling silver, 925,  but are not! These bracelets from Taxco and Mexico are not real silver. They have sold so many of them ripping people off. I have been a jeweler for over 40 years and have not seen a real sterling silver one ever. I just want people to know. There are so many for sale!!!IMG_5455.JPGIMG_5456.JPGIMG_5457.JPGIMG_5458.JPG

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Vintage Taxco Mexico Sterling Silver 925 Black Onyx Bracelet Carved Aztec Panel. Not Sterling silver

Thank you for letting everyone know. I have seen both sterling and 14k marks on Mexican jewelry that are not precious metal. So, it is always a good idea to be careful and test for accurate purity.

Thank you also for providing clear photos.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

We actually have something similar but no stamp on clasp insert and also has a round stamp on back of one of cuff parts..

1000012943.jpg

1000012945.jpg

IMG_20240411_192929.jpg

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Just want to chime in that yes, I have found fake pieces like these before, and ones that look like these below. Yes I stole these pics off of live listings, no I don't feel bad about it. They are selling probably counterfeit silver.

s-l1600 (2).jpgs-l1600.jpg

However, I also want to say that I have found real silver pieces using those faces in green stone, and black as well. They looked a bit different than that one, but the faces are not a giveaway for fake silver. It just means you really have to do your diligence to test every piece. The one I had like the above wasn't even silver plated, so you don't have to file into to test properly, it failed a simple scratch test. I can't remember if it was magnetic at all. 

One of the giveaways on the bracelet I had is that it tarnished very yellow instead of black, so look out for that.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Thank you for sharing! I hope this help some people. There are so many on Ebay

Message 5 of 5
latest reply