cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lockets

Hi again!  If you are wondering I have a bag of jewelry to go thru for a friend so I'll probably keep asking questions..hope nobody minds, and they are really nice pieces!  Anyway...

These two lockets are what I'm working on now..and I can't find anything like them.. I may not know where to look.  I can't find a mark of any kind on the etched round one..and the smaller one with the stones on the front has a small hallmark inside but I can't seem to find it.  Any info would help! 

The first one os etched with a letter, and the back is etched 1909.  It still has a photo inside.

I will post pics of the secone one as a reply...

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Lockets

This is the second ne, has a mark insode, but I can't seem to find it..may be searching in the wrong place or something.  It is beautiful!  I'm tempted to buy it from the lady, clean and wear it because I like it so much, but I want to know the history..and such.  It is REALLY a pain to open, very tightly together that we didn't know it was a locket at first, thought it was a pendant.  Anyway, any assistance would be helpful!

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Lockets

I love lockets!  They always sell fast whenever I've listed them!

Typically, I've found hallmarks on lockets on the inside centers, like in your smaller locket, and also around the inside frame and edges.  I wouldn't be surprised a hallmark could be under that photo, too.

Here's the maker for the smaller locket.

c&c-co.jpg

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Lockets

Yes!  I found the mark, W&H co.. so its a Wrightman & Hough Company locket.  Although needing some cleaning...  That is so great of you for the info!  I really had no idea where to look!

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Lockets

Glad I could help out!  sunglasses

In my opinion, I wouldn't clean them.  Unless you really know how to do it, I would leave it up to someone with more experience or a professional jeweler.  It's also a huge debate with collectors whether to clean vintage and antique jewelry.  Once the patina and the verdigris is removed, it can never be replaced except for the same amount of years it originally took to develop.  Especially with having the original photo in that one locket, it all has a lot of unique charm and character as it is.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Lockets

I would not clean them either.I haven'dealt muh with jewelry,but my husband collected ins over 50 ýeas nd he never cĺeanedhìs cis.Noony stan

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Lockets

I really goofed òn that reply.Sorry about that.. .but I wouldn't clean them either. Cleaning an antique locket or anything of value like that is a NO NO among collectors.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Lockets

I didn't say I was going to clean it..just said it needed cleaning.. I had corrosion and dirt fall out on me when I removed the photo to find the hallmark..so I still plan to wipe it off so it doesn't drop dirt on anyone else...  just a dry paper towel..  won't harm it a bit.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply