cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Antique Victorian Pink Glass Filigree Pendant Necklace?

Greetings my knowledgeable Friends!  I'm back with a lovely Filigree pendant that  has a pretty Faceted Pink Glass Stone. I was told it was glass by a jeweler; but am more interested in it's Age? Looks Victorian? And the "saw-tooth" prong setting is so fine! Please what is this called? Also the finely made chain looks hand-forged; each edge appears to be etched? The metal is wearing off a bit; so it looks like Brass? But passes my 10kt gold test, so am unsure what the metal is. I think it's Gorgeous! Would love to know more as I do intend on listing it.
Especially age, style, metal, and if the chain is hand-made. 🙂 Thanks SO much for your help!!IMG_5159.jpgIMG_5151.jpgIMG_5152.jpgIMG_5156.jpg

Curious Minds want to Know
Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Great, thanks

- It's hard to talk about metal content just by pictures. Anyone tells you otherwise, they're just guessing

-  By just looking at pictures, the piece looks casting and not Die-Struck. That fact makes the piece dated after 1935 because that's the time period when casting became popular

-Since the style is Art Deco and stones are synthetic and the surge of Art Deco reproduction in Silver was 1980s, piece could be more resent than it looks.

The side stones are Old Cut and center stone bezel set is very healthy and intricate. The chances of the metal to be Silver is very high  

- With all said, on the other hand, any jewelry maker going through all this painstakingly intricate work and not stamp the metal content if the piece is Silver is almost unseen. The Spring Lock has Steel inside, so, that's why it failed the test, but again, if it was Silver, manufacturer would have stamped it. 

All and all, this beautiful piece looks like to be Costume Jewelry and an Art Deco reproduction.  Unless the piece is tested to be Silver. Metal content is the key issue in this case

Good Luck,

Kia

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Hi,

Have you tested the metal for Silver?

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Hi! I just used the 18kt Gold Acid to test for silver and it failed. Plus I can find no marks. Any suggestions? I know that 18k is used to test for Silver, so that's all I had. Maybe it's silver plated?  And it also passes the "magnet" test, including the chain. Thanks for your help!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Hmm, what's the color you see on 18K test? 

Buy Silver Acid please. 

Do the magnet test and let's see, Pussycat!? 

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Is it casting or die-strike? 

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Oh,

and did the jeweler tested the stone under a Microscope? What did the jeweler said about the metal?

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Hi! I have no idea! Was hoping you could tell me😉It is just intricate and beautiful. Thx!

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

My jeweler used a loupe and immediately said it’s Glass. Never thought to ask him about the metal. 

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

I guess I should buy silver acid. Thx. And it passed the Magnet test. All except for the clasp. The Mystery continues! But do you have any idea how old it is? Thanks again!

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Great, thanks

- It's hard to talk about metal content just by pictures. Anyone tells you otherwise, they're just guessing

-  By just looking at pictures, the piece looks casting and not Die-Struck. That fact makes the piece dated after 1935 because that's the time period when casting became popular

-Since the style is Art Deco and stones are synthetic and the surge of Art Deco reproduction in Silver was 1980s, piece could be more resent than it looks.

The side stones are Old Cut and center stone bezel set is very healthy and intricate. The chances of the metal to be Silver is very high  

- With all said, on the other hand, any jewelry maker going through all this painstakingly intricate work and not stamp the metal content if the piece is Silver is almost unseen. The Spring Lock has Steel inside, so, that's why it failed the test, but again, if it was Silver, manufacturer would have stamped it. 

All and all, this beautiful piece looks like to be Costume Jewelry and an Art Deco reproduction.  Unless the piece is tested to be Silver. Metal content is the key issue in this case

Good Luck,

Kia

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

919872CB-B57F-49B0-BC2D-352ECE9E5A26.jpeg

 Here’s the color the metal leaves. But retested and even the 10k wears away. So guessing it’s plated Brass?

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Don't guess. Sample on stone doesn't mean much. Stainless Steel with certain ferrous composition passes the Acid Test.

This picture is showing me the metal is not Titanium or has any Titanium contents. Magnet test is telling me metal might be  Aluminum, Copper, Lead, Tin, Titanium( doesn't rub on stone) ,  Zinc, Gold, Silver, and alloys such as Brass and Bronze

Lots of variables and unknowns 

For the Silver Acid test, Acid needs to be applied on the metal. You need one! 

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Your necklace looks similar to pieces made by Sadie Green. Just one of the companies that use old parts...

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Liz Palacios also makes similar using vintage parts.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Hi and thanks for your input. Never heard of her; but wouldn’t it be signed? This is getting more confusing than ever🤔

Message 15 of 16
latest reply