cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone no anything about this Barret ?

My sister has this barret and I would love to find out anything I can about it including possible value if possible. It does not have any markings anywhere on it.  Thank you in advance for any help.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It is antique, but that's all I can tell you. You can take off the green junk with lemon juice.
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

I believe it's a hair barrette. The bottom part - the clasp - was threaded through the hair to anchor it in place, and hair from above the barrette was threaded through the top ornamental barrel section. Early barrette designs were made with this kind of two-tine hinged fork. The ends were typically blunt like yours, rather than pointed.

As for age - ornamental die stamping of metal started during the late 19th century - by the 1860s - according to my timeline notes, but I believe barrettes became popular a few decades later probably by the 1920s - 1940s. I hope this helps.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Sorry. I see you already know it's a barrette. I misread your post and saw BARRET AS BARREL. For an idea of price, try eBay's advanceed search of completed listings of similar vintage barrettes.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply