cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alright, once and for all...

After many many estate sales, church sales and lot boxes, I have accumulated more than a few clearly vintage, boxed and marked IVORY pieces of jewelry. 40,s and 50's..Yes, I am fully aware of the awful and wretched ways these pieces are "born" of, and do not condone or encourage the tactics in which this material was acquired. Despicable. I myself am all about animal rights and adoption/support of all regulations regarding hunting and exploitation. That being said, I continually see listings of ivory pieces,( that are allowed to list here on EBAY)  where as I have chosen to keep these off my listings, am I being too conservative?I too have a very large mortgage, children, bills... I had resigned myself to keeping these things until the end of time, but the devils advocate in the form of my daughter  has pointed out the date of the construction of these pieces pre date the contemporary regulations by decades.  Input please, I call on all of our collective boards from time to time, and please...before you respond read my entire post .

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

You do what you have to do.Those pieces have been around probably longer then you have, and you cant just throw them away. Remember not all Ivory is Elephant ,You didnt kill any animals and you are soft hearted. Do what you have to do.

Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I really appreciate your reply. I was waiting for a scolding I think, do you think I will alienate future buyers? If I list it as Ivory I wonder if the mods will take down...( I had actually contacted a seller that has the identical necklace, which I knew to be real ivory, mailed her and asked if it was, not criticizing or judgey, just saying that I have the identical one.. and soon after the listing changed to faux ivory) ...if they do,( take my listings down)  do you know if I get a ding on my selling record? I am at 100% as power seller, and I am listing a large amount of jewelry for January, Ivory being less than 1% of it, though I know it will bring a premium.,  my store is mainly collectibles at this point but I am doubling it's capacity in January...

Message 3 of 9
latest reply

Better safe than sorry with eBay. It is against policy to sell ivory and other restricted endangered items on eBay. You may wanted to check out other vintage sites to see what their policies are regarding this type of sale. Just my opinion.....

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

I've sold a number of antique ivory pieces. I have also sold a number of new pieces that are made by artists that only use antique ivory or walrus tusk.  I don't say it's ivory and if no one cmplains they don't remove it. I have had items removed when I listed them as ivory but no ding on my account. I only have antique pieces and I have the original recepts for the department store where I bought the jewelry.

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

How do you word it? Do people just buy assuming its ivory? Do you loose money then as you should be getting a good amount, particularly for antique ivory? As I said the necklace that was listed was @ 125.00, but reading "faux" makes it look like they are out of their mind for asking that kind of $ for that particular piece.. no dings, that good news.  Sales, better news. Thank You for taking the time to reply. Jewelry is new for my store, but I really just have so much of it, 90% vintage coolness.....

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

I listed it with a detailed description and I just left out the word ivory. I listed my pieces as antique Chinese because that is where it came from. I put the age, silver and the color without the word ivory. My bracelet sold for $350.00 so I didn't sell it cheap, it was a buy it now. It sold within 3 hours of my listing it. I think the person that bought it knew what it was.

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

Unless you can prove real Ivory and what kind,its best to do what the other lister's do. Most of them have Ivory color (faux what ever) in the title. Or did, when I listed one a few weeks back. Collectors know what they are looking for, good close ups will help if there are any patterns (lightly colored patterns) on any pieces.Sometimes they go by how its made. Listing as faux, well that looks like a "benefit" cant say they werent warned.Serously tho, you probably will never hear any negative feed back.

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Excellent, thank you. Yes it is real ivory, all have some type of paper, most are in original boxes. Thank You for the replies all! I just might test the water with a single piece and see how it goes.

Message 9 of 9
latest reply