cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Postal Regulatory Commission—the agency that oversees USPS shipping rate changes—is currently reviewing a proposal that could result in a significant increase to current rates in order to help cover institutional costs not related to package delivery.

We firmly believe this proposal would not only have a detrimental effect on eBay sellers, but all ecommerce sellers. And we invite you to join us in calling on the Postal Regulatory Commission to eliminate requirements that could force USPS to increase its prices for package delivery.

Sign our online petition before March 1 to make sure your name is included—and your voice is heard—when it’s presented to the Postal Regulatory Commission. To learn more, tune in to a special eBay Radio segment this Thursday, February 23, at 11:15am PT, as eBay government relations and shipping team members discuss the proposal in more detail.

We want you to know we’ll continue to advocate on your behalf on this and other issues that directly affect our community. As always, thanks for selling on eBay.

194 Comments

Another increase? How ridiculous, I mean, we're already paying more than 14x the rate that China does for our own **bleep** postage cost. They just need to cut that **bleep** deal and USPS would be floating in billions of extra and boo hoo to the handful of people that have to pay $3 instead of $1 for that junk item that they probably don't need and even if they did, it was going to break after a month anyways.

How about instead of us signing anything ebay steps up and negotiates a deal FOR US? You collect 9% of what we charge for shipping for doing absolutely nothing.

Can anyone explain why I am getting charged postage costs on my monthly bill?  And they want to increase?  I don't understand the concept of getting a discount on. postage and then having to turn around and pay a monthly fee for postage.  I don't ship international so where does the additional postage costs originate?

No to any increase.  Give us a break like you do those who sell out of country.  

Truth be told. Ebay really should negociate for us for real. NEVER A LIE THERE

Oh great, just in time for eBay to announce its new plan to require (if you want TRS) "FREE" returns (where seller pays for return shipping on all returns!). Is someone TRYING to kill the small businesses on eBay. Because this is how you do it.  

The USPS postal service may have to raise their rates;  if ebay continues to allow  buyers to claim false SNAD's and ding the seller we will have no recourse but to report the buyer and the ebay sale to the US Postal Inspection Service and claim insurance for fraudualent activity.  

Maybe they are getting wise to the possiblilty of an increase do to ebay's policy of:  "you have no proof"   "Proof that the seller sent said item or proof that they buyer returned the wrong item"  Screwy business procedure that ebay is allowing and harming sellers.  Ebay's responses to LIAR BUYERS are: 

Call customer service and this is what they will tell you.  

NO PROOF!
"Raise your rates to cover fraud in the future"  I say eliminate your charge  on our shipping to help with this fraud, but since you charge, you should be able to reimburse the seller from a   fraudlent Liar Buyer in your shipping slush fund.  Why do you charge us for printing a shipping label.   Seems fair and reasonable that you could insure that the sellers are protected by fraudlent SNAD's and the repercussions when using this method.  

Can anyone explain why I am getting charged postage costs on my monthly bill?  And they want to increase?  I don't understand the concept of getting a discount on. postage and then having to turn around and pay a monthly fee for postage.  I don't ship international so where does the additional postage costs originate?

No to any increase.  Give us a break like you do those who sell out of country.  

Addys-Corner, eBay charges on shipping due to people in the past selling items at $.99 but charging $100 or whatever they wanted for the actual item.  The governmet gave the Chinese the deal on shipping prices not eBay. eBayis only following the law.

My how you forget those of us who were loyal in the early days when listing lot numbers were 9 digits or less. I sold for 15 years without a single return but you forced me to accept returns for up to 60 days and threw PayPal at me with its additional fees! In order to main my top seller status you're so insensitive as to understand why I can't allow returns on ORIGINAL, HISTORIC AND UNIQUE PHOTOS. I sell them and the buyer gets high quality digital copies and returns my original. How's that a benefit for me? I run on a small lmargin and can't hold their payment until they're ready to decide whether or not to return! It's also simply ridiculous to expect me to allow a return on a 100 piece bag of Lincoln Cents! As usual I most likely will not get an eBay response to my concerns..

What are the meanings of "Rising Star., Adventurer, Explorer, etc." that appear under the seller names in this survey?

Amazon gets AMAZING cheap UPS and USPS rates, why does't eBay get those deep discounts too?  Without us USPS would be non-existant, we have fueled the USPS for decades, long before Amazon was even a thought!  Good people of eBay, use some of the 9% you skim off the top of all sales (including shipping) to pay someone to NEGOTIATE for US!!  We are worth it, treat us like you LOVE and NEED us.

Our postal rates already are causing real problems for many of us - more rates would put a lot of sellers out of business. That, coupled with the generally bad service the postal service gives us, will cause a lot of people to rethink their business plan. It might help some if Ebay did not charge their percentage of the postage - it is not income for us and I doubt any of us make any money on postage. We lose funds with the ebay fees.

We are already competing with overseas firms who have really low postal fees. Give us a break.

How are many many sellers ....selling  items for $3.00 more and less with free shipping? I cannot understand that? Are they just loosing money and why? Not enormous sellers either.

If you think eBay cares about the sellers and anyway you might as will believe in unicorns it has been years since the sellers were very favored in anyway.  They care nothing but to make their profit and to always remain on the buyers and if any complication arises like why is they could care less if we really make very little money as long  as they keep raking in the dough!  More than frustrated seller since 1998 and every year it gets worse for the sellers and I barely am able to make any profit between the squeeze of all the fees and the shipping it's quite pathetic  and disheartening since now the profit from my sales gors is to help others less fortunate as now I am an ordained minister  helping others where and when I can. At the end of the month when I owe eBay $80 it's disgusting when it is more like a full 20% of my sales,  all in all with relisting and FVF,  and of course not counting PP fees or shipping out of my pocket. 

USPS increases the postage on eBay is not helping us do our business online. the postage is very expensive. As a USA seller, local post office should support our business and increase our life quality. I know that the seller from China ship the package to USA is cheaper than we are in American. Online market will be failed in USA if the postage is very expensive. If you want to support seller in USA, you should charge the same amount postage from other countries. you charge higher postage from local seller than other country. It really hurts local business and economic. Sellers online will lost the job and become more and more poor. Post office increases the postage means to add our presure and burden on doing business. Thank you. 

USPS needs to realize that ebay is one of their biggest money makers. They've lost the Amazon business, ebay sellers do most of their work (previously done at the counter). They need to crack down on dishonest sellers that are using the label system to their advantage by shipping packages that weigh much more than is claimed on their lables. 4 lbs boxes shipped at first class rates and mis labeled media mail items are rarely caught. Fix the system and stop increasing rates to compensate.

Please no Increase!!! 

Gas prices are low, so WHAT the reason to rise-up USPS shipping charge?! . If shipping costs get too high, many consumers will go UPS, or others!

Would contacting our local representatives be of any use?

I've lost 99% of my international business since the USPS outrageous postage increase Jan. 2016, shipping was $6, then jumped to $11.45 and added another .40-.50 cent this year. Not to mention the domistic increase's this year. Any more rated increases I'll just have to close up shop

AND to the ebay news team, you REALLY need to put the announcements back on the selling page instead of down at bottom near site map, I use to look at new announcements everyday when I check selling listing numbers I have left. If I hadn't been looking for the spring updates I wouldn't have even seen this petition

i agree , ebay makes a lot of money off us sellers ,they should do the leg work to keep us making them money

Not to mention we sellers have been complaining about the outrageous increases for last couple years and NOW they want a petition signed, little late for a few of us losing thousands of dollars from the lost international business

grants169
Adventurer

Since 2007 there has been an 85% increase on first class items 3oz or less, that takes into account whatever 1 or 2 cent discount eBay provides.  $1.41 to $2.61.  It's not ever going to go down or stay level or even reasonable.   Yet somehow China can deliver me a $1.39 item with free shipping.  I get the feeling most of the money my buyers pay for shipping goes to fund other packages that come from China.  My voice means absolutely nothing to eBay or USPS - Go ahead and raise the rates, you're going to anyways.

what Is so frustrating is that years ago rates were low and the amount of letters sent were higher than packages. With the internet shipment package sales have increased tremendously. Packages have always been more to ship than a letter. The consumer suffers which is who pays their bills and what is going to happen is the price to ship items is going to cost so much that people will stop buying. I myself have stopped buying as much on ebay and buy more on amazon because of prime. It is sad that the postal service is in the shape it is in and in the position to take advantage of consumers because of poor management. They have been a seperate intatity than the goverment for years but maybe at this point they should be goverment run. It is getting so the poor cannot even afford to buy postage stamps for their bills to be mailed out. 

Also the ebay fees we pay on shipping should be used in some way to help sellers with the issue. If you sell a .99 item and you charge the correct shipping fee by then you are giving your product away because of all of the fees. Something needs to be done to keep people selling and buying.

Ebay should not charge fees on the shipping costs. The post office is trying to keep their purpose of providing the best service for the best price possible. They are a not for profit organization unlike ebay. Give American people a good service at the best price possible since Postmaster Ben Franklin's time. Postal rates are set to have the USPS break even not set to make money. Fed Ex and UPS and Ebay are out to make as much money as they can. Not so for the PO. 

It would certainly help if Ebay would quit slapping the sellers with a 9% fee on postage.  Don't really understand why there is a fee on postage since sellers are only charging enough to cover shipping supplies and the actual cost of shipping.  This is a true rip-off and is making me think it may be time to stop selling on Ebay and go to another avenue.

carolina_katz

The USPS and EBAY should be working together to develop pricing structures that would encourage sellers to ship more orders with the USPS.

EBAY sellers recieve discounts on USPS shipping charges this gives low volume sellers a big advantage. However USPS postal rates (including those for EBAY sellers) increase earlier this year. Some package service types and weight catergories should be reviewed for a cost decrease. (one example would be the USPS First Class 16oz package rate which increased to $4.30 from $ 3.65 an increase of almost 18%)  In my opinion the USPS and EBAY should be working to decrease shipping rates not applying yet another rate increase.

Better USPS rates and some long overdue inovations to the USPS packaging offerings could b used to gain more market share.

UPS and FEDEX were born from the US POSTAL SERVICE lack of vision and inovation.

One thing I believe every successful EBAY seller knows is that competitve pricing, great service and efficiency drive growth, Imagine if Sellers followed the model proposed by the USPS and simply raised prices.

BOTTOM-LINE is this,,, eBay is in the business to make money, they don't care where it comes from or who it hurts to get their hands on it. The RIPPING will continue, pennies, by pennies then dollars to dollars, and then one day? The greed catches up, sellers are forced to go away, buyers stop buying because of skinny options and the expense to purchase becomes too great, in short? The dream dies and so will the MONSTER who created it all. Hey, nice short term run for the money Mr.eBay. In todays business world it's all about the quick buck before people catch on and it backfires. Heck, who would want to pal up with a company who makes plans to grow profitably for the long haul? Give me my nickel NOW,,, I'll skip past the dollar heading my way tomorrow.

USPS has been providing very bad service lately, lots of misdirected packages, very late packages, and lost packages we've had to deal with. And guess what, it affects our seller performance when a buyer doesn't get their item on time. Well it ain't our fault, it's the USPS!! Not to mention very poor customer service or none at all, apart from the rude people they have on their end of the line when you actually get someone and ask about late or lost mail!! Give us all a break!!

Do this little experiment:

When you sell an item go to "Print Shipping Label"

Then go to the USPS site and enter the same information.

Notice anything? BOTH ARE THE SAME PRICE!

eBay toots their own horn about a discount on shipping. This is called a scam not a discount.

They need to lower their already high fees, and stop sucking 10% of reasonable postage from the sellers who barely make anything. The greed has all but put the biggest sellers who get big discounts to sell on eBay out of business permanently.

Actually, I think we need to send a mass petition to ask USPS to negotiate the ultra cheap low shipping rates they charge for those packages coming from hongkong/china. I've bought things for around $1 and the shipping charge must be way less than $1, and that's the mail coming from all the way around the globe. USPS charge us at least 2.61 for shipping a 4 oz package, and way less $1 for those chinese merchants shipping the same package(around the globe). Is that fair? Why don't we put american interests first ? 

eBAY wants us to comment???

OK, why is eBay taking a percentage of the shipping costs from us???

and probably getting a kickback from the USPS at the same time..

WAKE UP AMERICA! 😉

We need to know the truth. Why the postage is so expansive? Ebay really should negociate for us for real!!! 

absolutely! many times I pay more for shipping that the product is actually selling for! 

not to mention eBay fees, paypal fees and usps costs. it is just almost not worth it

@seller_news_team wrote:

The Postal Regulatory Commission—the agency that oversees USPS shipping rate changes—is currently reviewing a proposal that could result in a significant increase to current rates in order to help cover institutional costs not related to package delivery.

We firmly believe this proposal would not only have a detrimental effect on eBay sellers, but all ecommerce sellers. And we invite you to join us in calling on the Postal Regulatory Commission to eliminate requirements that could force USPS to increase its prices for package delivery.

Sign our online petition before March 1 to make sure your name is included—and your voice is heard—when it’s presented to the Postal Regulatory Commission. To learn more, tune in to a special eBay Radio segment this Thursday, February 23, at 11:15am PT, as eBay government relations and shipping team members discuss the proposal in more detail.

We want you to know we’ll continue to advocate on your behalf on this and other issues that directly affect our community. As always, thanks for selling on eBay.

@seller_news_team wrote:

@seller_news_team wrote:

We need to know the truth. Why the postage is so expansive? Ebay really should negociate for us for real!!! 

just more money, if it wasnt for ebay USPS would really be screwed, 

NOW EBAY... You need our HELP!!!!

Where are you when we need your help??????????????

Fight your own battles!

How about a link to the USPS proposal itself?

I'm not signing any petition until I see what the USPS is actually proposing.

Though many other members have expressed this opinion in this post, and in many others, I will do the same. Ebay, stop charging us fees on shipping, or find a way to return those fees after inspection of paid invoices. It is ridiculous to force us increase our shipping cost just because you feel you may profit from there as well.

I think Ebay does need to step in and help keep the cost lower. Not pay extra but to try and talk to the Usps to keep the rates lower. The more that the cost go's up the more customs are going to complain about the cost of items. Then the customers will move slowly to other bigger store web sites. It is high enough as it is. When big companys are starting to add free shipping, us smaller business can't compete with them. Well, we can but it will lower are profit margins and it is already tight enough with all the other fees that we have to pay. 

If I had a choice, I would rather have the shipping rates increase and ebay to give me back my 10% on shipping. 

This is not about a postal rate increase.

IT is about a S&H increase from ebay.

The ebay team of negotiators failed to get the discount for selling postage that ebay wanted.

Read what ebay wants you to help them with, either way this goes, expect increases in fees being announced soon. 

https://www.prc.gov/dockets/showdocket/RM2017-1

Notice who/what companies reponded and who didn't.

Comments
Designations and Declarations
Library References
Motion or Request/Response/Reply
Notices
Orders/Responses to Orders

USPS Needs to renegotiate its aggreement with China/Hong Kong. Chinese sellers are selling stuff for $1 with free shipping. USPS only gets percentage of the shipping price Chinese postal service charge. They're distributing their packages for free and want to increase our rates to make up for the losses. Meanwhile since they increased international first class package rates for us, we can no longer sell out of country. Our outof country business fell from %10 to %1 since we had to charge a lot for postage.

Enough is enough! 

Another price increase! Of couse, make it harder for buyers who want to buy!!!!!! 
Sellers loose money!

Let's face it guys, if postage rates go up E-bay makes more money off of us. I don't think they are to concerned about the little guys, the big dogs have taken over and get cuts we can't compete with. If you sell for fun have a good time, if you sell to make a profit, start gathering aluminium cans.

Ebay get off Your A$$ and Do something for the Seller Here. How many Billions have you collected from Sellers in postage fee's? 

E-bay is & always has been a company that wants every single penny they can squeeze out of the sellers. The buyers are somehow immune from any sort of scrutiny or rules whereas the sellers (you know...the ones that actually generate the monitary flow) get screwed over every time by E-bay. They charge us an illegal "final value fee on shipping" when they have nothing to do with shipping at all. The pompus corporate greed mongers at E-bay are always looking for some way to gouge the sellers. Take the millions (if not billions) you have stolen from us over the years for phony fees on top of fees and do the leg work and get those lobbyists you guys have in your back pocket and the previous employees that have gone on to government work and get them to work for us. If it was not for "THE SELLER" E-Bay would not & could not exist. Buyers do no one any good at all if there are no sellers selling to them. So get of your lard ass E-bay and do something other than count the money you steal from us sellers with phony fees for shipping that you play not part in at all.

Well, reading some of those comments was certainly educational, more particularly when the 99 cents for shipping "sweet-heart deals" never quite made us inclusive but rather the bearers of the financial burden  ..............

For those of us who ship domestically Free, & eat the State Tax amount besides the E/Bay and Paypal incidentals, business has been very difficult for quite some time now  along with an ever - decling International Sales Figure, entirely due to absurd shipping costs ........

Perhaps a Government Official will finally realise that an International Order/Export Order actually generates FOREIGN EXCHANGE ( The true measure of wealth in the economy for most nations) and rather than being punished we might find ourselves rewarded with more generous thought to the initiators of this commerce ....................

I think USPS direct all the business to Amazon and then die. This is ridiculous and insane. Already we loose in competition from china post. moreover Amazon has courrier on their own and driving prices down. 

I live in New Zealad and the usps is to expensive. I will not use them at all. Any auction with usps is a no go for me. I can get postage at 25% what I would pay for usps. It also is extremely slow. Once outside th USA it is quick when out of usps hands. Just my thoughts