cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Great news, sellers! Now you can offer local pickup as an additional service to your buyers, no matter which shipping option (calculated or flat-fee) you choose.

Offering local pickup is an easy way to avoid costly shipping charges (especially on large, bulky items). It also gives your buyers another convenient delivery option.

Simply check the “Offer local pickup” box after selecting your shipping option (you can also choose to offer local pickup only). Local pickup will be clearly shown as an option to shoppers in your listing. Anytime a buyer chooses local pickup, just be sure they complete the order through eBay checkout—then work out the details of pickup through Messages in My eBay.

Once you’ve selected your shipping option, it’s easy to add local pickup, tooOnce you’ve selected your shipping option, it’s easy to add local pickup, too

82 Comments

I used to offer free local pick up since we are a brick and mortar store as well as selling on ebay. However on more than one occasion I had buyers to click the option of free local pick up and they would live 500 - 1000 miles away from me. When I would attempt to contact them regarding shipping I could never get a reply. Therefore I was left with the option of losing the sell or losing money and me paying for the shipping myself. I grew tired of this happening so I stopped offering free local pick up. 

I still think shipping covers the seller best and porves product was deleivered 

A couple things to take in mind when offering local pickup. If your eBay business is home based and you do not have specific business related insurance you will be held liable if your buyer is injured on your property. Standard home owners insurance coverage does not cover business related liabilities, so if a personal injury is incurred on your property it will be your responsibility to cover any and all costs related to the injury. When inviting a stranger to your property you never know what you are going to get plus they now know where you live and what kind of inventory you have in your house. In most cases, its quite inexpensive to ship, even heavy items, locally and you don't have to wait for days to complete a sale. USPS will deliver locally within 24 hours and any postage savings will be eaten up by the cost of gas anyways. Finally, although unlikely, if you are conducting business in a residential zone you could end up with a township supervisor at your home who will shut down your business and levy fines for the infraction. Your neighbors paid for a home in a residential area and will not appreciate all of the business traffic in your driveway. Local pick up is best for a brick and mortar business with the proper insurance, safe facilities, security and commercial zoned location and extremely risky for home based businesses.

Assuming that you can transport the item yourself just a short distance, you can arrange to make the handover in some public place such as a commercial parking lot: a local McDonald's, for example.

Also Google the term "Internet safe zone," and you'll find examples where local police departments have allocated space in their own parking lot under video surveillance where buyer and seller can meet to do the purchase and pickup.

It doesn't matter what you have them sign. The ONLY proof they will accept is the tracking number. I even went into my invoice and clicked on marked as shipped and entered in the notes section the date and time I met with the buyer and now ebay is telling me that that information cannot be pulled up. It can't be found anywhere. These people are talking out of both sides of their mouth and when you ask to have the rating removed, they'll tell you that they can't do it.

I only offer local pickup for large items.

Generally, it's not worth my time to arrange to meet someone locally and then have them not show up, or for them to show up 20 minutes late.

The buyer has to click "Buy It Now", and then message me for the local pickup options. Am I really beholden by Ebay to use PayPal if the buyer wants? I specify in my messaging (not in the listings themselves) that payment must be made in cash at the time of pickup. I do not need the additional headache of dealing with PayPal disputes.

In my experience, the actual percentage of buyers (between Ebay and Craigslist) actually showing up for meetings is less than 40%).

Nice to know as I was not aware of that but does not help me currently since the buyer wants to pick it up. I did not realize what a problem would occur holding the item that long with it lowering my rating as I have set up mailing the first business day upon receiving payment. The buyer was supposed to wait until I invoiced them without postage before they paid so now with them paying with postage, I do not know whether they changed their mind and want to pick it up and want it shipped especially since they have not answered my emails asking them to confirm whether they are picking it up or want it to be mailed. Dolores

I am so pleased that I can now add local pickup when using calculated shipping. I will add to my listing "If using local pickup, upon recieving and inspecting item, positive feedback and confirmation of pickup must be left before completing transaction." I think this will benefit both buyer and seller. Let me know what you think.

Positive feedback (or any other kind, for that matter) has no bearing on whether a dispute can be filed later. I'm not sure what you mean by "confirmation of pickup," but there's nothing in the Item Not Received dispute process in which that would be considered; the INR process simply revolves around whether your tracking number shows a Delivered status in the buyer's City and ZIP code.

(To be clear, I agree that it's unlikely in most cases that a scammer would pick up your item and then file an Item Not Received dispute later on, unless it was some high-scam item like a smartphone, laptop or game console, but the only condition under which the INR option is specifically disallowed is when no Shipping method of any kind was offered, so that the listing offered only Local Pickup and nothing else.)

I am not sure but I think when you give an option for shipping or local pick up and customer chooses local pick up no tracking # would be required and so the 1 day shipping or whatever you chose in your listing would not apply. Also any feedback left by customer when they say  for example "Picked up item on **date and happy with purchase" from their account, will be seen by ebay so if they open any INR you can ask ebay to step in and they will see the feedback as proof it was delivered and recieved.

I wish that was the case and I brought that up to the customer service rep that I talked to this weekend. I specifically asked him to pull up the exact sales transaction where I entered the notes that said the date and where I met the customer and he said those records couldn't be brought up !!!!! I also said that it was apparent that the items were delivered and the customer was satisfied for a claim would've been filed and again he said he was sorry but that he could not change the tracking % when tracking numbers are not used and he REITERATED over and over that the ONLY way Ebay has to make sure an item is absolutely, undeniably delivered is by making sure you have a tracking number to  refer to.

Does eBay count "missing" tracking numbers toward that percentage in cases where the listing did not offer Shipping of any kind? If it's Local Pickup only, then there never will be a tracking number to upload.

Yes they count tracking numbers not uploaded at all, tracking numbers uploaded LATE, tracking numbers uploaded on time but no carrier scan as the 3 categories they ding you for. And those are under the category "Tracking uploaded on time and validated"

Well now can't reply to another ebayer? Just comment? 

Well, whatever.

As to doing business on my property that is an interesting question.

we had planned to meet the buyers of the small item at the local coffee shop.

we have seen people conducting a variety of businesses there. Selling things, writing contracts for Homes, conducting job interviews. I had never thought about it, but what liability does that incur  for the coffee shop as other businesses are operating on their property?

but to the point of someone conducting business at my home. How would they ever prove that they were on my property with my permission? Even if they were coming to pick up an item,  how would it be decided whether or not we had given our permission to venture onto the property at that particular time?

Our city allows four yard sales per residence per year. As eBay is (or was) considered an online yard sale, what ramifications does that have? 

At any rate, if someone has purchased an item from us, and we offer pickup, we will now walk with the item to the sidewalk, which from there to the street is a city easement.

however, there are laws in our city about conducting business on the street. We know this because we attempted to get permits for a mobile vendors truck. It was legal until we wanted a permit, at which time our city made it illegal.

All of which is interesting, as many people are meeting for trades that have been arranged online at all kinds of places. Including police parking lots. 

But, we are not going to worry, as we won't do this often, if ever again.

So we have had our first "pick-up" shipping option choosen for an order.

Things eBay should consider.

1. Add an eBay note on Pick-Ups like it is done for international orders.

2. Ebay needs to create an option that sends an automated email to the seller, so they are aware of the pick up request. Seller can then quickly contact the customer. (FYI, there is no notice, unless you print the order that it is local pick-up)

3. Provide Policy information (can not find anything current) regarding, tracking, returns, how they email they customer, if they email the customer regarding pick ups with hours and or address. A break-down of the rules and policy that we as sellers have to follow.

4. Our business is slightly different than those that work from their home, so policy information (and protection of those sellers) need to be stated and stressed by eBay.

I know there is more that needs to be discussed.

Knew I would think of something else.

What if someone who is not local chooses local pick up?

Are they charged Tax? By law, if they pick up in the same state we are located (CA and NV), tax must be charged, regardless of where they are from.

Answers to few of the questions asked on this:

1. Are local pickup transactions exempted from Seller Standards (tracking upload and on time delivery). Yes, if local pick up is selected during checkout by the buyer, the transaction is exempt from tracking upload and on time delivery metric.  

2. Are local pickup transactions eligible for EMBG? No, if the item was paid for with cash at the time of pickup.  Yes, if the item was paid for by PayPal.

3. How can sellers confirm when the item has been handed over and protect themselves from INR claims i.e How do I get proof of delivery? Current recommendation is that sellers have the buyer sign a packing slip and the seller keeps it as part of their records or a picture is taken at time of pick up. Other option is to have your buyer send a message through M2M messages in My eBay.

4. What if the buyer doesn’t show up to the pickup? Seller needs to make every effort to contact the buyer and arrange a mutually agreed upon pickup time and location.  If the buyer doesn’t show, the seller needs to file a UPI to get Final Value Fee credited back.

5. What type of payment method do you want us to use? PayPal would be the preferred method of payment through the ebay checkout flow.

Please PM me if you have other questions on this.

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We are lucky that we have spaces in an antique mall so it makes a perfect place to meet especially when my husband puts in regular hours on Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons every week but the antique mall is not that far away from home or from our storage unit where my husband is alot of the time looking for stock to replenish our antique mall spaces. I think in the future, if a buyer asks if they can pick it up that they need to do it within a day or two so it does not lower our shipping rating as well as adding local pickup in the listing before the buyer bids on the item. Unfortunately, Ebay does not have an option regarding local pickup in their options of "Mark Shipped", printing a "shipping label", etc. We do not have time to update our over 1,000 listings adding the "pickup option", even using the Turbo Lister. Also, since Ebay changed the screens in November, 2016, I cannot upload pictures into listings anymore so I cannot add an item or change pictures in a listing so I can only list items using Turbo Lister which does not have all of the options we use when listing items the regular way. We always use similar active listings to list an item as a template but even using a saved "template", I still cannot get pictures to upload as it just shows 0% loading wihout it finishing.  I can relist items if the picture does not change but if I take new pictures showing the same item that is being listed, it will not upload. Any suggestions as Ebay cannot fix this problem! tapking 

I think local pick would work great to retail vanue with some kind of camera installed. Transaction is already been recorded in the camera. If in case buyer file a claim, seller have can preview the recording. Isn't it awesome. 

But seller from home or garage, getting buyer signature (why not thumb print, old style) would be idle , at least avoid fraud to some extent and fully.

There should be an button option on both parties to make sure item picked and delivered. 

Omg Local Pick-Up Only items that do NOT ship show as "Free Shipping" in buyer searches!!!  We have had MANY a buyer purchase a Local Pick up ONLY item even thou they clearly live so far away they will never show to pick things up!

WHY!!!

When a seller does NOT intend to ship, WHY would it show as "FREE SHIPPING?!!!!!"

Grrrr....

My main concern about offering local pickup is that there is no way to upload tracking and so it will count against my record and end up costing me the top rated status if I accept to many of them so I tend to reserve it for larger of more expensive items.  My warehouse has cameras all around it and nobody picks up without actually making arangements ahead of time through the eBay message system so proof of pick up is not a problem . In reality if they screw me I have more options then usual because they are in the same state and can be taken to small claims if nessesary. 

What I may end up doing is chosing Freight and then offering Local Pick up as an option, however I am not entirely certain if that doesn't defeat the purpose completely... Mind you I don't have a problem shipping freight, but most of my items aren't worth that.

Again the real problem is when buyers select "Free Shipping" in advanced search settings it shows them Local Pick Up items even if they're half a world away.  My attitude is Local Pick Up is NOT "Free Shipping," the buyer doesn't have to 'pay' but free it isn't, someone still has to make arrangements and come over and pick it up, that kind of time and transportation is not free.

Invite total strangers into your home .......there's a great thought.

PayPal does not support Local Pickup.  We got scammed on a $600 set of tires and found out the hard way that PayPal seller contract specifically states that the item must be shiped and that we would need a valid tracking number.

I did not select Free pickup as a option, yet it is showing on my listings.  This is not right, don't show it if I did not select it.

alan@ebay@Anonymous@Anonymous 

Why hasn't eBay responded to sellers' concerns in this thread?

This policy "announcement" doesn't include anything "new" or "different form the current policy that causes sellers so many problems.  For the sake of brevity, the issues that come up on the boards - and in this thread - without eBay response - are tracking upload, accepting PayPal, listing only for local pick-up, INR, and SNAD cases involving items that are picked up!

> alan@ebay @Anonymous @Anonymous

> 

> Why hasn't eBay responded to sellers' concerns in this thread?

Technically, this is an "Announcements" board rather than a discussion group (for example, you can't quote anyone's reply, only the original announcement itself, unless you do it manually such as what I'm doing with your post here), and a review of the "seller_news_team" posting activity shows that it consists only of excreting a publicity blurb and then logging off again; no replies to the same topic can be found. Previous efforts to ask questions here go ignored; they don't use the account for any actual dialogue, and I suspect that the person responsible for the "announcement" account really has no expertise to help you with anyway.

Your best bet is probably to bring up your questions at the Weekly Chat on Wednesday afternoons, and maybe include a link back to this topic for reference. HTH...

Thanks!  In that case, eBay should shut off the reply function on announcement threads that causes users to waste their time with well-considered questions that are never going to be answered!

The at-mentioned eBay community people have been notified.

I don't see an upside to this unless the product is a large item like furniture.  Would be nice if EB had "designated" pickup places, (like UPS or an Ebay valet store) pickup the item.  For example, if there is a sale, the buyer could drop off at the Ebay valet store or UPS, and the buyer could pick it up.  There would be a small $1 / $2 fee to pick it up.  There would be a signature receipt.  The upside would be the buyer and seller don't meet, there is a 3rd party to receive the product from and it's the responsibility of the buyer to pick it up. Vs. the seller waiting for the buyer.

How is this different than before?

All anyone who gets a request for local pickup has to do, even if calculated shipping, is to send an invoice specifying LPU only and that eliminates any requirement for tracking.

But PP should only be an OPTION, not a requirement, unless you want a deposit. LPU should be a cash only transaction. 

Local Pickup has been an option on Turbo Lister for years and I always have it made available. However, I had a local ask me via ebay message about picking the item up and when i said 'no problem and I can deliver it to you", a week later I got an email from eBay saying they saw that as an attempt to sell outside of eBay and my sales flatlined after that. My listings are still on ebay but it's funny how none of my ebay listings images come up on a Google search. Pretty sure they turned the SEO features off of my listings.

This option is not present in the eBay Motors category. I have tested multiple categories below these two subcategories:

eBay Motors > Automotive Tools & Supplies >

eBay Motors > Parts & Accessories >

with Calculated Shipping (Calculated: Cost varies by buyer location) and it does not appear. It does however appear for the test listing category.

I just reported this to eBay via telephone and was given an SR number. I hope they fix it soon as I have reported other issues and gotten an SR# and the problems don't get fixed and when I follow up, there are no updates.