cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As our CEO Devin Wenig announced at ShopTalk earlier today, we’re launching an all-new selling feature this summer that gives sellers in the US more control over your delivery timing and the ability to guaranteed delivery dates on your items.

It’s called eBay Guaranteed Delivery, and it supports our ongoing commitment to provide you with the best-in-class tools you need to turn more of your shoppers into buyers—and increase your sales velocity.      

With Guaranteed Delivery, you’ll be able to guarantee a delivery date for your items, and buyers will be able to filter their search results based on the guaranteed delivery date they need. Guaranteed Delivery will also utilize two tools we recently announced in our 2017 Spring Seller Update: location-specific shipping rate tables that let you provide buyers with more accurate shipping charges, and a calendar tool that lets you customize the days you work and your cut-off time for same-day shipping.

To learn more about Guaranteed Delivery—and sign up for updates about this exciting new selling feature—please visit our dedicated web page. As always, thank you for selling on eBay

335 Comments

I was concerned about this new Guarantee when I first read about it.  But after taking time to read Ebay's response to some of the questions and concerns, I have decided that the two choices that will be presented to sellers are vastly different and carry vastly different possible circumstances.  I will most likely chose the guarantee shipping option since I, like alot of you on the boards, tend to ship same or next day.  The reason I would chose this option is because I am close to a Post Office, I live in a small town (60,000 pop.), and if I can't get to the PO, I know my carrier will scan my package at pick up.  That takes alot of the responsibility off of me and gives me a little peace of mind that my items will all be scanned on time....which according to Ebay, will keep me from issuing any refunds, even on late deliveries since I kept my end of the bargain and shipped within my handling time frame.  

As far as the Guaranteed Door to Door delivery, I think you would have to be a little loopy to take that option.  Unless I'm driving the delivery truck, I have no control over what happens once that package leaves my hands and is accepted at the PO....this option will probably have a participation of around 2-3% and will mostlikely include those that ship Priority Express which is the only guaranteed shipping method that gives the seller a guarantee as well.

If I had to rely on a Rural Route Carrier or lived in a larger city, I would be leary of any of the choices because of possible USPS issues that I had no control over.

Lastly, eventhough Ebay stated that chosing to participate in this would not help or hurt us in the search engine...I feel there will be some algorithim that will push those that chose to participate closer to the top, with as much emphasis that this promotion is receiving.

I have so many times had to tell my customers that once it is in the post offices hands it is out of mine.  I offer one buisness day shipping on all of my items with the rare 2 day due to size of item.  I can not see how they  can put this requirement on us.  I have overnighted items through the post office and fedex and they havent made it by the guarenteed day.  Ask your postal person or people at fedex they will tell you they can not guarentee that your item will only take for example two days as the lable states.  I do not work for the couriers and I can only do so much on my end.  So please tell us how punishing us for something completely cleaned from our hands is helping ebay out when they lose sellers due to impossible weights they are putting on us sellers heads.  This on top of all the "wonderful" changes ebay is bringing that sellers are oh so excited about, is going to change my view on weither this is all worth it.  I am a small store I have done good in the past, sadly this is just makes me worry about what the buyer will be able to come after the seller for now.  And trust me I have some great customers and I have had my share of ones that leave a bitter taste in your mouth.  Come on Ebay show us that we matter as much as you claim and stop screwing with us!

@partshunter607

I can not see how they  can put this requirement on us. 

Then you can relax.  There is nothing in the policy that says it is a "requirement", it actually says the opposite.  You can choose to opt in or not to opt in to either of the two DIFFERENT options.  It appears you don't understand the program as well as you might desire.  There was Weekly Chat on this subject a couple weeks ago.  You may want to go to the forums and take a look at it.  It is extremely informative.

I thought the Ebay management had changed and done a 180 the second half of 2016. Ebay Concierge Customer Support has been great, knowledgeable and understanding. Cases have (rightfully) closed in my favor. Scam-buyers seemed to be getting away with less.

As soon as things start to go smoothly, management makes 2 foolish decisions: reduce the discount for Top Rated Sellers by half, and then guarantee delivery time. Wow. I am really disappointed as I have worked hard to meet any and all of Ebay and Buyer demands and expectations. The "Does Not Apply" fiasco was a 5 week nightmare of clicking each individual item in my store. I couldn't even "Bulk edit" those.

The more Ebay changes, the more Sellers like me will look at spending time developing our own websites, selling on Amazon and other places.

Buyers are great and that's where the money is, but management really needs to take care of its Sellers, or like all good things, it will come to an end.

Looking forward to better seller shipping tool, Correct Avg information could help keep us up with other sites. We want consumer cofidance   , some feel eBay is dirty and would even spend more money for the same qulity goods  from other sites. We need those consumer's too, and I hope this will work with the the other offers . However i hope they cusion the date if three than 4 day should be given. Also the seller should not fully be held responable if they did all things correctly. eBay should bite the bullet if the seller did their responability.

I sold on EBay 12 to 13 years ago and stopped due to time restraints. I am just now getting started back and I am so shocked at all of the changes, espicially the one where EBay is taking 10% FVFee of anything we charge the buyer, including the shipping charge. This leaves the seller paying part of the shipping and this cuts into our profit. Even if we raise the cost of the product to cover the shipping cost, EBay will still get 10% of it. It really does not seem right that they are getting a percentage of the shipping cost. This is how I understand it. If I am wrong, please let me know. There are other options for selling. I wonder if they realize this???

Ebay doesn`t realize this is not a perfect world. There is no way any shipping service especially USPS to guarantee a specific delivery time unless big money is charged.  I`ve had many packages that took several weeks just a couple hundred miles away from me which I could have walked there and back faster. A few didn`t get delivered at all !!!

I took the time to watch the very professional video that both Casey and Greg did on this topic.I also had a few common concern.Lucky they did explain it in great detail.My local post offices are fantastic but I do understand that they are not responsible for the end results.But I do believe that this is a very nice feature to offer the customer .I did this before for someone and they wanted to propose marriage and the customer was beyond happy.And once it did not work and I stayed in contact with the customer the whole time and yes.Ebay back me up.So it will be a yes for me.

I feel like I could get the same treatment in prison as I do selling on eBay recently, thanks for "helping" your sellers

You can count on eBay to increase seller requirements while cutting the seller discount.  MONEY, MONEY, MONEY, MONEY... all to eBay.

There seems to be a lot of unhappy sellers on here complaining of one thing or another. Shipping issues, buyer issues, eBay issues and what ever else they can dream up. I sat here and read these post for almost 30 minutes and to be honest eBay, you dont want these sellers that are on here **bleep**ing. Tell them to take a hike and go back to thier misserable life. We are not that big of sellers but we do run 2 stores and yet we do not expierence any of the things these people are whinning about. YOU KNOW WHY? BECAUSE WE TAKE CARE OF OUR CUSTOMERS!!! It is not eBays job to take care of your customers its your job "THE SELLER". 

Now post your pissy whiney objections to the truth that its your fault that you are a sucky seller and thats the issue here. It is everyone elses fault but yours that your customers are not happy.. GIMME A BREAK. Shut up and be a better seller. I have never had eBay not back me up when I had all my proof. If you suck at customer service you will lose because your a loser and dont know how to take care of the customer first there little princess. 

I hope you enjoyed the rant now go sell something and do it better then you did it last time

eBay is trying to pick up the crums of Amazon Prime while seller lose everything they built and incurrer additional shipping costs with no assurances. More of a reason for sellers to sell through other channels . 

@seller_news_team wrote:

As our CEO Devin Wenig announced at ShopTalk earlier today, we’re launching an all-new selling feature this summer that gives sellers in the US more control over your delivery timing and the ability to guaranteed delivery dates on your items.

It’s called eBay Guaranteed Delivery, and it supports our ongoing commitment to provide you with the best-in-class tools you need to turn more of your shoppers into buyers—and increase your sales velocity.      

With Guaranteed Delivery, you’ll be able to guarantee a delivery date for your items, and buyers will be able to filter their search results based on the guaranteed delivery date they need. Guaranteed Delivery will also utilize two tools we recently announced in our 2017 Spring Seller Update: location-specific shipping rate tables that let you provide buyers with more accurate shipping charges, and a calendar tool that lets you customize the days you work and your cut-off time for same-day shipping.

To learn more about Guaranteed Delivery—and sign up for updates about this exciting new selling feature—please visit our dedicated web page. As always, thank you for selling on eBay

@seller_news_team wrote:

@general_pet

Which part of "NOT REQUIRED" is hard to understand.  If you don't like either of the options in this new policy, the IGNORE it.  You do not have to participate.  The ONLY thing you loses is the ability to have some of your listings able to take advantage of the new filter for participating seller that will appear on the left side of everyone's screen with they perform a search.  

Under it's current structure Ebay has no way of competing with Amazon Prime.  Amazon Prime is a completely different type program and offers things that Ebay just can't.

ebay instead of working on delivery they should work on payment method and get ridded of Paypay who only scamms SELLERS AND BUYER PAYPAL IS BUNCH PF ASSWHOLES THAT SHOULD ALREADY GO BANK RUPT

I'm not so sure this is a good idea. Many times our shipments are marked late even though we shipped them out the day I said I would. We should not be penalized for USPS late arriving packages. The sellers have little to no rights or recourse in the event of bogus feedback. I have a gig on my account that shouldn't even be there due to a customer claiming he did not receive his order even though USPS tracking said that it was delivered to his home and on time. Sellers should have more rights and privileges since without us listing items there would not be an eBay. Both buyers and sellers are important, but both should be treated evenly.

I just checked my 'stats' and from yesterday to today they fell in shipping/handling time when items are consistently shipped as promised on my part.  In reading responses to this 'guaranteed' delivery it seems the sellers are accurate in response.  We do our part, get great feedback, yet ratings go down?  I haven't seen a fare response on this issue.

@karen9nick

You just need to spend some time learning and understanding your Dashboard.  Your Dashboard numbers are NOT in real time.  You had several things sell yesterday which will cause the fluctuation you see on your Dashboard.  You need to allow time for it to update.  It hasn't even been 24 hours since the you sold those items.  Time is needed for you to package and actually ship.  Time is needed for the carrier to scan them in and time is need for Ebay to receive the updates from the carriers.

Chances are you are perfectly fine, but it will take your Dashboard 2 to 3 days [on an average] to update.  This is one of the reasons why Ebay does NOT eval any seller until the 20th of each month for the previous month.  That 20 day delay allows time for buyers to leave FB and for the numbers on the Dashboard to be completely updated for the previous month.

If you don't like this Guaranteed Delivery program, you don't have to participate.  But to make a decision on what is best for you it is important to understand the policies in play.  All of them.  An informed decision is always the better decision.  There is a whole lot of bad information on this thread, so reach out and learn about it on your own.

I ALWAYS END MY CONVERSATIONS WITH EBAY THE SAME WAY

WHEN I HAVE ASKED FOR HELP

IS THERE ANYONE THERE WHO CAN UNDERSTAND ANYTHING

Where I live, even if I watch USPS scan my packages and give me a receipt, when I go home to check... nothing comes up on tracking until a day later. Major glitches. Sometimes it doesn't even get scanned again until in the buyers town.  So it shows 20% of my packages are late (where do they get that from?) even though I have 100% feedback and buyers leave comments and message me about how super fast shipping was.  Only real complaints were around Christmas/New Years when I had to say "Sorry, USPS sucks really bad this time of year" (they suck all year but they were sending my packages around like pong across the country and back)

USPS is and has been going downhill slowly for years, and Fedex/UPS are too expensive for not-that-big packages.  The worst time to bring out a guaranteed delivery thing...sigh.  You can find out how true this is by just sending a survey out to sellers.  

@radio879

That isn't a glitch, that is how the system works.  Not everything is real time.  You need to allow the computers to update and/or process the current day's information.  The same holds true on your dashboard.  It is NOT in real time either.  It will take your Dashboard 2 to 3 days [on an average] to update.  This is one of the reasons why Ebay does NOT eval any seller until the 20th of each month for the previous month.  That 20 day delay allows time for buyers to leave FB and for the numbers on the Dashboard to be completely updated for the previous month.

I have a terrible experience with global shipping program a month ago. The GSP center has lost my 2 packages to the UK. And the eBay still hold the payment until now. I lost my items and client. I can't trust this "Guarantee" anymore. 

@mam98031  All my feedback is good, I have 5 stars across everything (it looks like literally every customer rated me 5 stars for shipping), it always hangs around 15-20% up and down. For months. Pretty sure nobody is looking at feedback (or only partially) they're looking at what time tracking shows something.  I literally can't do anything about tracking being delayed a day.  Asking the post office about it is.. well eventually I realized its pretty pointless I just get "I don't know" in some form or another.  Tracking system (USPS) sucks eBay isn't taking that into account. That's how it appears on my end. I know the dashboard isn't realtime but if i'm consistently dropping off packages on time I shouldn't be hanging around 15-20%.  I've tested it by personally having them scan as I watch, getting a receipt, and going home and checking myself (half the time or more it doesn't show up until a day later, making it look like i'm a day late). Its like I just happen to live near an extra bad post office (first scan not showing up).  Occasionally i'll get a msg from a customer worried I haven't dropped it off because tracking half the time doesn't show anything then the next day its in their mailbox (which is why I always get good feedback they are happy in the end and my customer service rocks)

@radio879

I think you misunderstand.  You had said your items got scanned in and you received a receipt but the scan did not show online until the next day.  You are fine.  When they updated the system, the date would be the date you actually dropped them off.  Just because it isn't visable for a day does not mean Ebay is going to count them as a late shipment.

While your detailed seller ratings [stars] are important, the stuff you need to be paying attention to are the items that appear on your Dashboard.  The DSRs are no longer counted against a seller and haven't been for awhile now.  And you are right, all your DSRs are fantastic, they are between 4.9 and 5.0.  

"I've tested it by personally having them scan as I watch, getting a receipt, and going home and checking myself (half the time or more it doesn't show up until a day later, making it look like i'm a day late)."  The scan happened when you dropped it off and got the receipt.   If that was an on time scan, then when the system updates [usually during the night], then your FINE.  The date of the scan should be the date you dropped it off, saw them scan it and received the receipt.  The delay is only because their system does NOT update in Real Time.  That doesn't mean it changes the date you dropped it off, it only means it didn't show up for approximately 24 hours.  This is how it has ALWAYS been.  You will continually be disappointed if you expect the acceptance scan to show your item on the USPS website from the moment you have the package scanned.

How can you guarantee the USPS  delivery in our specified delivery time? There is no guarantee with a third party doing the actual delivery.

USPS has lost (in transit) more than a dz orders This year alone.

Filing a claim for missing mail is usless.

NOT A GOOD IDEA! - I HAVE ITEMS BOUGHT THAT WERE UP TO 4 WEEKS LATER THAN EBAYS SO CALLED DELIVERY DATE. AND HAVE SOLD ITEMS THAT BUYERS CLAIMED THEY RECIEVED THEM LATE ALSO. NO ONE CAN GUARRENTEE DELIVERY BY ANY CARRIER ESPECIALLY THE WAY THE WEATHER IS NOW DAYS.

Well I've had enough! The fun and personal enjoyment of buying something I'm really good at refurbishing and reselling affordable to anyone is Gone. I get/got enjoyment out of fixing something broke for someone who really can't afford a high end product and giving Them every opportunity. 

But NOW,

SO MANY SHIPPING DELAYS, FROM FEDEX SMARTPOST/USPS,

Along with Buyers FAILING TO PAY & BUYERS SCAMMING at EVERY OPPORTUNITY,  WITH EBAY/PAYPAL

MAKING IT SOOO EASY FOR BUYERS TO ACHIEVE THIS  with the Current Shipping.

Another Case OPENED today for an item yet to be delivered! That's 2 within 3weeks! Buyer never messaged me, they just opened a case.

Tracking number was in place as it should be and I even uploaded photos of the acceptance receipt and it shows I shipped out earlier than my 2-3 day normal, in case I'm working out of town as an auction ends.  Everything I have done IS AS IT SHOULD be ,BUT again a Hold now on my account buyer won't close case leaving room for when it does arrive to try to Strong arm for a discount. F-That No MORE!

I'd rather issue a COMPLETE REFUND & get property back.

I Issued A Harassing Buyer moments ago a FULL REFUND for messaging 6 times  in a day and a half about shipping item, shipping label and my personal favorite from him was (verbatim)

Hey, what's the deal with my order why is there a shipping label and Why Hasn't USPS picked it up yet? There's No Delay in shipping, WHen will they pick up my order!!!!

Well, here's your answer: FULL REFUND ISSUED

as I have said earlier, Enjoyment is gone.

EBay/Paypal is infected and they don't know how to treat it

Ain't going to stick around for the other hammer to fall on sellers for Guaranteed Shipping 

ebay will promise the moon to buyers, because its not up to them to deliver on the promises.   they just hold sellers at fault when the moon can't be delivered.   why don't they let me make my own promises to my customers.   i hate doing business on ebay and with ebay.  they are nothing but a bunch of corporate thieves.  i really wish there were more alternatives.

Hey Ebay! Give me 100% discount, very nice. I like.

@1jhnyrebel

@myofficestock

I understand your upset and concern, but to stop selling on Ebay due to this new policy is an over reaction.  Just don't participate.  This policy is NOT MANDITORY.  You can opt into either option if you want or stay away from it if you want.  There isn't a negative outcome if you do not participate.

Without a doubt, this is a slippery slope.  Anyone who signs up for this is guaranteed to fall Below Basic within 30 days.

We have been an ecommerce business for 18 years.  We ship quickly and daily.  I can send a package across town and not "guarantee" when it's going to arrive.

Definitely "seller suicide".

I'll absolutely pass on this one. 

This is from a person who has been an Ebay seller and buyer since 1996.

I really think that Ebay needs to split into three parts: 1. Automotive and Automotive related, 2. Commercial sellers of new items including all of China and other Asian Countries and 3. Ebay for Antiques , collectibles and related items.  All of the "Fast &Free, Guaranteed delivery date and similar promises could go on #2  since this is the part of Amazon and Walmart that actually competes with Ebay.  Automotive already has it's own set of rules so that part would essentially stay as it is.  #3 would roll back to a true Antique and collectibles site and take all of the competitive shipping and guarantee rules and roll them back to simething that makes sense for these types of items.  We (#3) are not a superstore, we are not a wholesaler, we are a totally different market requiring a unique set of rules and regulations.  This is the only way to realistically address all of the issues and put the original EBay back where it was and what it was intend to do.  We, #3,  need to be a part of what we really are,  not the order according to Walmamazon.  We don't compete with them, we don't sell to them, they don't buy from us.  Why should we be given the same rules that they seem to want to follow?

I have been here since 1999, and an Amazonian since 2004.  I run both "businesses" the same way.

All of our sold items are "batched" through to our warehouse printer, and are prepared and shipped the same way.  The warehouse "team" has no idea whether a purchase came from eBay, Amazon, Walmart or anywhere else.  We ship as quickly as possible and use the most reliable delivery carrier.  Most items leave the same or next day.  With that being said, after 18 successful years, I can tell you I wouldn't guarantee anything to anybody.  Because I am not the person doing the delivering. 

I always found it odd that eBay tells people items are coming in 2 days when they are traveling clear across the country (we are an East Coast Seller).  How is that even possible?  You are setting a buyer up for disappointment and a seller for failure.  Why?  Why not be realistic>  Amazon gives an appropriate delivery window.  If you want stuff there in 2 days, choose PRIME, and be a prime member.  We utilize the FBA program and it is successful.  But we also have the very same items that we fulfill and I believe our warehouse team is very efficient and effective.  Yet I would still not sign up for a guaranteed delivery date. 

If someone needs something today.  Or tomorrow.  They need to go to a brick and mortar store if they want that guarantee.  There are more than their share of Amazon Prime orders that are delayed or "not on time."  It's a system that has too many opportunities for failure.  The one thing that we do not want are disappinted customers.  Always under promise and over perform.  I've found that was the one key to our success. 

Well - you can't  guarantee the Postal Service.     I can take a package in to our Post Office at 11:00 am  put it in the pile of postage paid  and they never scan until the next day ----  or the tracking info lies ?--     You can't guarantee anything- then it looks like the seller did not do as promised. 

this will only work if ebay lets the sellers set the shipping time, ebay set the shipping time for my items and I have had nothing but problems.  Since I am drop shipping from china, ebay needs to let the seller put in the shipping time.  I offer free shipping for everything and ebay put it in as fast and free. has caused me to pull all my items and lose sales. again not happy with ebay

@bellasshoppe

Are you stating on your listings that the item ships from somewhere in the USA?  If you are, that is a breach of the Ebay rules.  Your listing needs to reflect WHERE it is shipping from.  So if your listings say USA, then you need to change that to China.  Just on the listings you dropship from China.  

Once you change that to the actual ship from point, you will then comply with Ebay's rules on this subject and your ETA on your listings should show a longer time for it to get delivered.

i tried to chane it to china, it added china, but would not let me delete florida, so my listings say florida china

OK, NOW THIS IS A REALLY HORRIBLE IDEA! Do you really believe you can do this and protect sellers at the same time? One example, I mailed a package PRIORITY MAIL (rather than 1st Class as the value was $38). I took it to the Post Office and was told to put it in a crate, same proceedure at most all of the Post Offices I have visited. The buyer has not received the item and it is 5 weeks later. The Post Office is saying wait 6 weeks and file a claim. The item was never scaned by the Post Office and all likelyhood someone got their hands on the item and it never made it to the buyer. IS EBAY GOING TO PAY THE BUYER IN CASES LIKE THIS? I had a few items at Christmas that were not scanned and/or processed and sent to the buyers on time. One got there 4 weeks later, I talked to the Post Office several times in all cases, and they never had an answer, but I lost my TOP RATED SELLER Status for a month or so because of it. VERY UNSATISFACTORY this need some serious RETHINKING!  Sorry for the CAPS, but I do not feel eBay listens to its smaller seller EVER!

I'm not sure what all the **bleep**ing and moaning is about. As well as having a store, I buy a lot on eBay. We all have had those vendors that take "days" to ship. So when I am expecting something in 2 - 3 days, I get it in a week. This is business, and this looks like a tool to let the best performing businesses be better recognized. The hobby sellers that want to ship 2 days a week, well, that will be reflected. I run a "real" business, since 2003. I've watched many competitors come and go in that time.

Looks to me ebay wanto elliminate small home base sellers they don't need us only BIG ones with all time free shipping, money back quarantee(no matter what), same day shipping ect. They mark shipping time late if buyer purchased on saturday and you ship monday. All crazy.

@fashionsavior

Some members ALWAYS say that when a change happens.  Pretty much no matter what the change is, someone will say Ebay is trying to kill off the small sellers.  But that is simply NOT true.

The addition of the upcoming Delivery Guarantee has TWO options.  You may or may not CHOOSE to opt into either one.  It is NOT manditory.  Option 1 isn't that bad if you historically meet the requirement the vast majority of time.  Option 2 which is D2D, that one it a bit tricky and is probably far more suited to larger sellers, not small sellers.

Big sellers are NOT the only ones that use Free Shipping.  Anyone can utilize this if they so choose.  Big or small it can help your sales if you sell in a category that this is popular in.  There are lots of buyers that prefer listings with Free Shipping and then there are categories in which they don't like it much, so you just need to know your market and your buyers.

I'm not sure why you feel that Free Shipping is only for "big ones".  Any seller can use Free Shipping, you just need to always remember how to structure your pricing.  As we all know there is no such thing literally as Free Shipping.  Sellers that utilize the Free Shipping option roll the cost of shipping into the price of the product, they aren't literally shipping for free.  The buyer still pays, it is just included in the product price.

The Money Back Guarantee does have some exceptions.  So if you are getting returns and it falls under the MBG, you should review the policy so you know your rights.

What you describe with the shipping matrix is incorrect.  If you are getting dinged for this, you need to contact Ebay as it is not suppose to work that way.  So you may have a glitch or something happening to you.  If you receive a payment on Friday and you don't ship until Monday and you have on your listing a 1 day handling time, this shipment would be considered shipped on time as long as you loaded the tracking number within that timeframe or printed your label through Ebay or PP.

I am throughly confused by this whole topic. First off, I think small sellers are wary of the whole subject. Yes I know you can opt out of the two programs but as I said, I am very confused over this whole thing. Regarding shipping, I only use the USPS for shipping. UPS and FedEx are prohibitly expensive and unless you have a shipping point, you pay through the nose for any type of pick-ups. For porders under a pound, the USPS is under $5. For heavier packages where the size is not an issue, you can ship up to 70 # for under $20. I'm on the East Coast and have a lot of West Coast customers. Usually, both First Class and Priority Mail Packages get there in close to 3 days. So why do we need a ton of special rate charts. Scrap it all except for the lower cost USPS. For the big seller, hey, if it works for you, go for it. But I don't see the special calculations for shipping and timing, the USPS is the way to go. 

Now the area I totally don't understand, Guaranteed Shipping. Aside from the fact that both UPS and FedEx are SLOW --- Remember East Coast to West Coast shipping time for their Ground Services is in excess of 10 days ---  things get lost and delayed. Unless I'm reading something into this program, if something doesn't get to its destination by the quoted time, what gets guaranteed? The cost of the item? The shipping charges? Both? And of course, WHO PAYS FOR WHAT? That information I have not been able to find. So what's up with that one???

Oh --- BTW, I put all of my items out with "Free Shipping." Whatever my base price is for an item, I include what my shipping cost will be. For example, if I have an item I want to sell for say, $11 and it weighs say 8 oz, the First Class shipping would be $2.77. I add to that, $.30 for my package cost and labeling and price my Fixed Price Auction Item at say, $13.99. I use bubble envelopes ($.30 ea) and a shipping label envelope ($.10). Quick and easy.

So as I said above, or below, What's all the fuss about this miriad of shipping and time charts?

Hmmmm. What a hook on home based sellers necks? I wonder who comes up with these selling strategies. It's better for Ebay to tell home based sellers/small retailers that they are not needed anymore. Too many policies not to best interest of selling is not good. Too much promises  to the buyers is not a good business strategy.  Finally a total different one from this thread, how do you explain Ebay marketing an untagged new item  as nearly new? That is not a good branding, it's better to stick to "New Without Tag" branding.

My very friendly postman in Washignton DC has said that their managers have told them not to even bother to scan 1st class packages when they pick them up. So I often get complaints from customers who are asking me if I'm ever going to ship the item. I have to give them a long story about how the items are usually not scanned in WDC but they will magically appear scanned on the other side of the country a day later. This is an example of why we cannot rely on 3rd party carriers to help us with this kind of thing. 

As I have said before (see my most recent comment a few posts above) where is the information about the new policies? What are they and how do they get used?

I totally don't understand anything I have read about eBay's new "Guaranteed Shipping." Aside from the fact that both UPS and FedEx are SLOW --- Remember East Coast to West Coast shipping time for their Ground Services is in excess of 10 days ---  things get lost and delayed. Unless I'm reading something into this program, if something doesn't get to its destination by the quoted time, what gets guaranteed? The cost of the item? The shipping charges? Both? And of course, WHO PAYS FOR WHAT? So what's up with that one???

As I've said before I have not been able to find that information. Please, where is that information???

@justmarv

It is only the shipping charges that would get refunded and ONLY if the buyer complained.  They could file for a return as it didn't arrive on time, it would be handled as a normal return.  

With that said, there are two options in this new program.  You do NOT have to participate in either one of them if you do not want to.  This is NOT a manditory program.  

There is so much incorrect information on this blog.  Lots of assumptions are being stated as if they were facts.  It is clear that some have not even read about the program and are just guessing how it will work.  Here is a link that may allow you to be a little better informed so that you can make a knowledge based decision if you want to opt in or stay out.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Community-Chat-March-22nd-1pm-PT-eBa...

@mam98031: Thank you for your response. The link you listed only gives from what I saw, people's questions and no explination of what the program intends to offer.

I do have several questions though. If a buyer claims late shipment or late arrival, WHO refunds the shipping charge? eBay? The Seller? Also, if Free Shipping is offered and the buyer claims late shipment or late delivery, is that  "defect" a valid return reason and the seller has to pay for the return shipping? On the other hand, if the buyer pays for the shipping charges,  the seller delivers it on time to the carrier and it arrives to the buyer late, who pays for the refund of the shipping charges? The seller never really had the money to begin with, it went directly to the carrier who defaullted. So once again where does the shipping charge refund money come from? 

@justmarv

With respect there was many answers on that thread by a few Ebay employees.  Yes there was lots of questions, but there was also lots of answers.

I do have several questions though. If a buyer claims late shipment or late arrival, WHO refunds the shipping charge? eBay? The Seller?

It depends.  If you offer free shipping, Ebay does.  If you state separate S&H charges, the seller does, again ONLY if the buyer requests it.  It isn't late shipment, this is all about arrival times.  If you are going to opt into this program, you want to make sure you always ship within your stated handling time.  It is also in the seller's best interest if they are going to opt into either of the options on this policy to ship in 0-1 days to give you the best chance of arriving within Ebay's stated delivery time.

Also, if Free Shipping is offered and the buyer claims late shipment or late delivery, is that  "defect" a valid return reason and the seller has to pay for the return shipping?

Again, "late shipment" is not part of this nor is it anything the buyer can get a refund on its own for.  If you shipped late yet the package managed to be delivered on time, the buyer can't just claim "late shipment" and get any money from you or Ebay.

The ONLY thing that the buyer has the ability to do specifically for THIS program is to claim late delivery.  If that is a fact and the buyer wants to return the item because of late delivery they can.  

On the other hand, if the buyer pays for the shipping charges,  the seller delivers it on time to the carrier and it arrives to the buyer late, who pays for the refund of the shipping charges?

It depends.  If you offer free shipping, Ebay does.  If you state separate S&H charges, the seller does, again ONLY if the buyer requests it.  It isn't late shipment, this is all about arrival times.  If you are going to opt into this program, you want to make sure you always ship within your stated handling time.  It is also in the seller's best interest if they are going to opt into either of the options on this policy to ship in 0-1 days to give you the best chance of arriving within Ebay's stated delivery time.

There are two options in this program.  One is D2D [door to door] and that one won't be something that small sellers are really suited for.  That is geared more towards larger sellers.  For us little guys, there is just too much risk and not enough rewards.

The other option for 0-1 days handling time could be very useful for some sellers no matter the size.  If you don't have a large volumn of return request, you offer free shipping and you rarely get a complaint that the package has taken too long to delivery.  This option could be a good thing for you.  Keep in mind, you do not have to offer this on all listings, you can offer it on just some listings if you want.

For those listings that you offer the handling time option, if you offer free shipping on the listing, and IF the buyer complains it didn't arrive on time, then Ebay will issue a coupon or money to the buyer for what they think the S&H would have been.  It does NOT come out of the pocket of the seller.  But if the buyer wants to return the item, you will need to honor that.  However keep in mind that if you aren't getting a lot of returns now, it isn't likely to change that.

I do encourage you to go back and read through that link I gave you above.  There are answers there.  Take the time and read it all, it really is quite informative.

When is ebay's CEO going to read these comments and come back to reality?

The USPS states Priority Shipping times are estimates and not guarantees.....

the only guarantee is using Priority EXPRESS Shipping which is like $18-$35 for Express Shipping and they don't even ship 100%.... You have to go through a process to get a refund for not making the times and even then you are not guaranteed a refund on shipping....

@supakicksny

Why are you allowing this to get under your skin so much?  You don't have to participate!  There isn't any kind of penalty for not participating!!  So just ignore it.  You aren't doing yourself any favors by getting so worked up about something you don't even need to do!