cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

As our CEO Devin Wenig announced at ShopTalk earlier today, we’re launching an all-new selling feature this summer that gives sellers in the US more control over your delivery timing and the ability to guaranteed delivery dates on your items.

It’s called eBay Guaranteed Delivery, and it supports our ongoing commitment to provide you with the best-in-class tools you need to turn more of your shoppers into buyers—and increase your sales velocity.      

With Guaranteed Delivery, you’ll be able to guarantee a delivery date for your items, and buyers will be able to filter their search results based on the guaranteed delivery date they need. Guaranteed Delivery will also utilize two tools we recently announced in our 2017 Spring Seller Update: location-specific shipping rate tables that let you provide buyers with more accurate shipping charges, and a calendar tool that lets you customize the days you work and your cut-off time for same-day shipping.

To learn more about Guaranteed Delivery—and sign up for updates about this exciting new selling feature—please visit our dedicated web page. As always, thank you for selling on eBay

335 Comments

This is just another reason why I will probably go to Amazon to sell items. eBay does not care about the seller. All they are interested in is they buyer, who will do anything they can to take advantage of the seller. I have had this happen several times and eBay tells me I am at fault because I am the seller. Buyers will lie about everything to get their money back when they make a purchase and get buyers remorse or they item they bought doesn't fix their problem, they want to stick it back on the seller.  I am definately on the edge of telling eBay where they can put their stuff.

I haven't in memory participated in one of these blogs.  However, thought I would advise Ebay that if they want to pay people big bucks for coming up with fairly worthless ideas, then they  could hire me for less and I could add input that would actually be helpful.  LOL

@planetshelly

If you are taking your items to the PO, then make sure they scan them while you are there.  This will solve your problem.  Just make sure they scan them as received.  IMHO it is your PO that is not supporting you very well with scans but the good news is that you do have it within your power to fix this problem by asking them to scan when you drop them off.  You will of course have to go to the counter and not drop them off in the box.  

I would also take a moment during your next trip to the PO and ask to talk with the postmaster / manager.  Tell s/he about your problem with getting thing packaging scanned it.  The postmaster should work with you to resolve this issue as well.  But if for any reason it doesn't or if it doesn't appear that they take this seriously or otherwise won't help you, the go to USPS.com and register a complaint.  Be specific with your info.  You may be pleasantly  surprised with the outcome.  

There are two different categories on your Dashboard that this is important for the stats.  One is "Tracking uploaded on time and validated".  That stat is solely for the verification that you shipped within your stated handling time on  the listing.

Second is "Late shipment rate".  You will satisfy this element of the stats if you complied with the getting your item shipped out within your handling time and a verification scan by your carrier.

Further the "late shipment rate " has TWO other ways in which you can satisfy this stat.  The first one I stated above, then there is if the delivery scan happens within the ETA on that particular purchase and finally if when the buyer leaves FB they check the box available to them which asks "Did the item arrive on or before Friday, April --,--?  Yes/No"

So if you meet the requirement for ""Tracking uploaded on time and validated", then you will ALWAYS meet the requirement for "late shipment rate ".

I hate to say this, but this is not a good plan at all! First, This is going to favor certain sellers which will leave some sellers in the dust, if you ask me. Im against it and really just thinking about an E-Commerce website right at this moment. Very bad move! 

rainbowdistro
Adventurer

I agree with the consensus of 98% of the posts. eBay has no clue obviously of when an item will or should get some place! I have been dinged twice for items getting to a buyer using first class in 4 working days. I even had one women want her money back because she said eBay said it would be delivered in 3 days. Not to mention the buyer bought the item near midnight on a Wednesday night. I mailed Thursday AM because I was lucky enough to catch it before the mailman got here. I am handicapped and rely on the USPS to pick-up the items (which reminds me if you don't request the USPS to pick up an item that is clearly labeled for them with postage paid label they will just leave it 9/10 times but that's another discussion)

On this particular day I handed the package to the postal worker. Anyways package arrived Monday am verified by tracking.

The USPS clearly states in their policies that it can take up to 14 days for you to get a package sent via First class mail. Not only is this going to **bleep** a lot of buyers and sellers off this is going to cause a lot of unnecessary refunding. All because eBay thinks they are all seeing and all knowing.

This is just one more thing that makes me want to leave eBay but, where else would you get the traffic??

Stacey

This is an ABSOLUTE LICENSE TO STEAL. Unscrupulous purchasers have already figured out how to try to get merchandise free. Now they don't have to put any effort into it at all. Short of actually sending it to them in our own private jet and then dispatching it to their doorstep with a drone sporting a GoPro for proof of delivery, this is a completely untenable demand on sellers to deliver. EBay is not Amazon. Amazon has an army of over-worked staff filling orders at an inhumane rate of speed expecting to make a large profit for its shareholders. EBay on the other hand is a glorified flea market with householders leisurely selling and commanding what profit they may from it. To expect the thousands of individuals each leading thier own existence fitting Ebay into their lives to adhere to some monstrous shipping timeline is preposterous. You are in business because of your SELLERS, not your buyers, and we should be treated with enough respect that we can determine for ourselves what is a fair timeline to get an item to our buyer. Most of us have enough decency to do so and actually are making sure we keep our buyers satisfied. The competiton between sellers on EBay and the feedback system should be enough to keep us motivated to get an item to our buyers on time. We don't need to be kicked in the ass to get an item out immediately for fear being stolen from by buyers or take the financial hit for anything that might inhibit our delivery service. Have some common sense, Mr.Wenig!!

So, are you going to pick up the cost for sending all our items Express? That is the only way even the USPS will even guarantee delivery.  How can you, eBay, know the package will arrive for sure when even the PO does not? How do you know what is going to happen with the weather (you even post warnings about it).

I thought charging us a final value fee on the COST of postage was freaking insane, but this is the absolute worst thing you have ever done and you have done a lot of things to punish sellers.

And then that TRS discount is going to drop to half of what it was. Thanks, yes, thanks for NOTHING! 

And I must have missed the details on the "feature this summer that gives sellers in the US more control over your delivery timing and the ability to guaranteed delivery dates on your items." 

What can we actually control? I guess I need the details to go tell my Post Office that eBay has fixed their loosy goosy deilvery times for Priority and 1st class mail and can now say for sure when the POST OFFICE is going to get it there! 

Several friends and I are "low-volume" sellers downsizing collections from over 50 years, NOT running a business.  But even we are smart enough to recognize that shipments via any third-party carrier is totally at the mercy of that carrier.  The USPS offers guarenteed delivery dates in Priority Express for exorbitant rates and I have personally had some shipments that disappeared and was not seen for weeks.  Yes, they refunded the money, but is ebay going to do that at their expense and not the sellers?   

I realize this is a tool to attract buyers, but ebay is making a promise that a third-party carrier is apparently being expected to honor.   Is there a contract between ebay and the USPS, FedEx, UPS, etc.?  Can sellers get a copy, please.  

What happens when the guarenteed delivery date is not met by the carrier?  When the buyer complains is ebay giving them an unquestioned refund that the seller can't do anything about, even though it is not the seller's fault?  Is the buyer going to be able to give negative feedback, even if the seller did same day shipping and the item was then the carrier's responsibility?   Is ebay going to give the seller a defect rating, even if the item was same day shipped and, again, the carrier failed on the ebay guarenteed delivery date?

My friends (6 of them) and I are looking at other options already with all the hoops ebay keeps creating.  None of us have stores, pay .30/listing for each item listed after 50 free listings, pay 10% final value fees on each sold item, PLUS on the shipping (which is ridiculous, ebay should have policed the sellers that were cheating).   Now, buyers are going to be given a guarenteed delivery date by ebay, not the carriers, and not the sellers (voluntarily, since ebay is adding this feature).

I realize the tiny profit ebay makes on our sells is a pinpoint drop in the bucket to them.  Getting closer to the time to give up selling here.

I have been selling on ebay since 2011, I am a higher volume seller and generally have a rule of shipping everything out the same day if paid by 5pm, this is my commitment to my customers and I feel like people like myself that ship out daily will not be effect by this much, on average my items arrive a day before the estimated delivery day, but I also drop of my stuff at the main post office so I know that it will leave the same day, since I have been doing this my feedback rate has gone up.  A lot of people don't really understand the system and that these types requirements will help boost our business/sales as Amazon is doing very well with their prime deals and this is Ebay trying to stay competitive.  

I am a power seller and have been for about 80% of the time since I have been selling (I lost my power seller status due to the resolution center cases, it was my mistake and I deserved to pay the price it was a steep price about 40% drop in sales/profit but thankfully I had reserves and was able to survive, I went from like 10-15 sales a day to like 1-4 every other day.  I normally don't comment on forums etc, but I just read a few comments and most of them were negative so I wanted to thank EBAY for this new and exciting program.  If possible I would like for someone from Ebay to contact me as I do have an idea how to ensure sellers will be success full with this.  To all sellers please share this great news on all social media as this will help EBay grow.  

Guaranteed by whom? When USPS doesn't deliver on time will they reimburse the buyer?

YES AGREED... one more way for Ebay to screw over their sellers by making claims that we have to live up to, and have absolutely no control over. USPS just made it VERY CLEAR to me not long ago that the only guranteed service they have is EXPRESS shipping, so anyone shipping priority 2 or 3 day, it can take longer than that, and a lot of time does! They don't scan packages like they are supposed to,  don't pick up packages when they are supposed to.... and now Communist Ebay Regime wants us to guarantee delivery? they already "ding" your rating when you don't hit the supposed ESTIMATED date which is actually an expected delivery date to the buyers.  What the heck?  Am I the only seller who is seriously looking for other places to sell now?

well, I guess that answered my question. I'm NOT the only one who's sick of the **bleep** around here, and constantly getting screwed over by a buyer OR EBAY themselves.  We should all just go to Amazon.  They may not be any better, but it's worth a try.    what... 2 positive comments from "high volume" sellers. Of course the high volume sellers will be for it. They have a bunch of employees. What about those of us working alone, without a vehicle every day to TAKE packages to the post office to make sure we babysit them and make them do their job and scan a package.  Our post office is terrible. It can't be the only one.  They are understaffed, and disgruntled.  And frankly, unless you pay outrages fees, they don't care if you get your package on time.   And they don't care if Ebay says they will.

I'm sorry, but I just HAVE to leave a comment here.  I have never posted any comments on these boards before, but after they day I've had with Ebay, and a recent bad feedback over SHIPPING, I have to chime in.... although I know they won't actually give a **bleep**.   

The only people any of their new IDEAS to "compete" help are the big players.  Us small sellers are for sure getting thrown to the wayside here.  and yes, you guys who say there is a solution; you are exactly right.  And eventually, Ebay WILL run off it's long time small game users/sellers, because of all their **bleep**.  

Just today, I had my account restricted.. from 1000 items per month, down to 160. REASON: because they "associated" me with another seller.  And the only association we have is that we have the same address, different buildings, different businesses, different people all together.... but they said they have ways of "linking" people together so because this other buyer was restricted, so was I.  Funny thing is,  his account isn'ts/wasn't restricted. And I even got him on the phone with us, 3 way, so he could ask what they were talking about, and they insisted that he had restriction on his account and he needed to send in RECIEPTS of his merchandise that he had listed.  Yes.... RECEIPTS!!! SERIOUSLY??? Ok, who is going to do that? send receipts for EBAY merchandise?  KICKER: he never got any emails or message about this supposed restriction.  So the only person restricted is ME.  And after 2 calls to customer support (second of which, I just hung up.... angrily, because I was just going around in circles and not getting a straight answer), I was told that my account would remain restricted for 90 days, and after that if my account was in good standing, I would be reinstated to 1000 listings  a month.  What the hell is going on with this place anymore?  I used to be a top rated seller, several years ago, with a different account, and it was a totally different place altogether.  This new EBAY, ... this "competetive" EBAY, is nearly impossible to make any money on. And if you actually finally get up enough listings to start selling things, they LOOK FOR and FIND a reason to swoop in and take away from you.   Seems to me they are TRYING to run off the small guys anymore.   And this "guaranteed delivery" thing is a total joke, along with the few years worth of new policies and changes.   

eBay is going to market guaranteed shipping date  that eBay isn't out a penny for Anything!  They make a guarantee, brings in more buyers , they get more fees, We Ship, We in turn pay back buyer for Post Delivery's Failures but yet we're responsible for (Why?!!!!) until delivery!!! (Again,Why?!!!!) So Us Sellers end up with less money paying and held liable to pay for eBays PR STUNT.

IT JUST HAPPENED TO ME YESTERDAY.

FEDEX SMARTPOST made a delivery that I sent out the 16thof march, yesterday. No reason no replies into the lost mail I sought and buyer open case and won, yesterday. Same day it was delivered.  Buyer Awarded a full refund, I wasn't allowed to appeal it  and the buyer has my property and eBay closed case and won't even attempt to have my property returned.

I was told do it myself, there's no case open.

We need Seller protection! When buyers win auctions and don't reply or pay nothing happens to them, and we sellers have to invest more time  into trying to sell the item again.but if a case opens towards a seller,That payment gets frozen plus some that follow (as I am dealing with).   Hope it doesn't happen to any other sellers.

Scared to death as this will really affect my sales. I have to rely on my local post office to do their job and even though I have 2 day handeling But ship Daily.... twice in the last 3 months  packages have showed no scan for 5 days. I mean large shipments of 12 and 8.  I reduced my handeling from 1 to 2 days to prevent this and it is still happening. I will have to opt out because I can not Guarantee Service once it leaves my hands. I do my part, and still no scans. This is my Full time job.

Great (scam) another requirement sellers have no control over,  and I will bet when USPS etc. does not deliver "on time" the buyer will be refunded on the sellers dime

Really?! If the carrier doesn't deliver then what? If a buyer wants it faster offer Priority or Express, most people will pay if they really need something. Most of what I sell is not not something people need right away. Couldn't care less.....

I really don't see the point of this. 99% of orders I ship using the USPS arrive anywhere in the USA in 2-5 days. It even says on Priority Mail postage stuff like "Priority Mail 3-Day." I don't think eBay should be doing this, because I don't think it has anything to do with the reasons they have given. Regarding the "Location-specific shipping rate tables," how would that even work when all of us Top Rated sellers need to offer free shipping in order to get the top rated discount?! Everything about this new nonsense is a conflict with the Top Rated seller program!!!! 

You know what I'd really like eBay to do for us? Make it manditory that buyers leave feedback. My feedback score would be almost 2,000 by now if all my 2016 buyers left feedback. If a buyer doesn't leave feedback in 20 days after they receive their order, eBay should submit a default 5 star feedback to the seller.

18% of my total sales went towards postage while only 9% went towards eBay fees. My net selling costs are 32% of my total sales.  Could eBay try negotiating better postage rates with Pitney Bowes or the USPS?

I would also like to see eBay work harder to boost US exports. The US population is less than 5% of the global population. It would be a real boost if US sellers like myself got more international business. 

Thanks.

You have to be smoking crack!  There is absolutley no way it can be guaranteed.  It should be called guaranteed-ish.  USPS has screwed me as a buyer and a seller.

With the more accurate shipping costs becoming available, I hope that the fees attached to shipping charges disappear!

First customer to scam me by getting a free item that is not my fault will be the last item I ever ship. Too many other options out  there to keep getting new requirements sent to us enema style

If your going to have a"Specific shipping rate table" perhaps , you should stop charging us 10% fee on our shipping price we receive from the customers. Or your "Accurate shipping charges" should inform the purchaser that Ebay collects a 10% charge on all shipping, therefore, the "accurate shipping rate" is 10% higher than the indicator shows.

THIS - > eBay is already giving buyers unreasonable expected delivery dates, now they are moving to "guaranteed delivery dates?" , I will not participate in this program unless it has no effect on my ratings when the delivery service screws it up.

There is nothing Wrong with Guaranteed Delivery!!  I Totally agree with this.... Who wouldn't want this.  Really 

I DON'T WORK FOR THE USPS, FED EX, DHL, UPS, AMAZON SHIPPING, BLAH BLAH, ETC.

HOLD shipping carriers Responsible for their jobs.  Not the Seller.  I do agree that over the years that shipping companys have come a long way in delivery.  Doesn't mean I have to police them.  Doesn't mean I have to lose my store on eBay because eBay wants me to Police them but it has Happened!!  Watch Out Sellers

This is what that article just said....

Update: location-specific shipping rate tables that let you provide buyers with more accurate shipping charges, and a calendar tool that lets you customize the days you work and your cut-off time for same-day shipping.

The Days that you will Work & Your Cut Off time for Same Day Shipping.  

However We just lost our Anchor Store because our Shipping Carrier does not Delivery with in the ESTIMATED Shipping time frames that are Posted by EBAY on Our Listings.  

We didn't put those on our listings.  eBay did.  We do put the days We Work and the Cut off time an order can come in & We shipped out Every order except 3 with in that time frame in the last year.   

We Can Not control Lost shipments by any Carrier. But we do replace order the same day we are informed about it.  We use eBay labels 99% of the time only international labels are done separate yet eBay said we have XX% not uploaded into the system.  What happened to their label system.  We have ALL our tracking numbers eBay won't let us upload them. 

They are also holding us Responsible for International Customs Departments that Hold packages to get through Customs.  If it is not meeting the Estimated Time Frame it will be marked Late....  What the heck is going on???  

So I work for the Customs now in Every Country.  Right on.  Hang on to jobs overseas cause EBAY Guaranteed Delivery!!  

This is our new approach.  Drastic but we want heads to rolls and Shipping Carriers to be held just as Responsible for their jobs as we are.  We want our Store back.  It is costing us money EVERY DAY to have over 10,000 listings here on eBay and now I have to Police the Shipping Carriers also.

We are now going to put a sticker on EVERY package & Box that will say... eBay has Guaranteed this Package!!!

This package MUST be SCANNED With in XX Days Delivered to the Correct Address.  If the Tracking is anything Less than Delivered by XX Date.  We will call your Delivery Supervisor and We will be filing a complaint with USPS or FED EX or UPS.  Etc.  

If we are going to pay the price on our end they are going to pay the price on their end.  If I now work for the USPS, FED EX , or UPS.  or if you will I am now like the BOSS .  If they don't preform to what I need to get my store back or keep my seller ratings up.  That delivery person needs another job.  

If eBay wants us as Sellers to be Responsible for Our Carriers end Result.  We, Everybody, ALL Sellers, needs to step it up.  We can not sit back and just say we can't control what our carrier does or doesn't do..  Well We can. eBay just said we could. They are going to GUARANTEE We can.  Don't know if the Carriers know this yet or not but that's not my department either. Ask eBay

We unfortunately just have to be stern about it.  We have to put our foot down & show them they have to step or step out.  

Bad, bad idea IMO. It's becoming more and more clear eBay does not care about us smaller sellers.

I know at my work, we have gone from 4 employees involved in our eBay sales to only one, and an average of 200-300 active listings to less than 50. Mostly because of eBay's apparent dedication to making it's seller's lives as hard as possible. 

We've investigated other selling avenues, but unfortunately at this point eBay is still the biggest game in town....

I have refunded several orders based on poor delivery due to USPS delivery, On average they are losing 1.7% of my packages and about 8% never arrive on time. These slow downs will only increase prices in an already dry market. Personally I would rather see lower rates for seller that offer guarenteed delivery windows. I have seen other sellers claim no guarentee on items for shipping. In my opinion it should be up to the buyer to purchase this as an extra fee. You could market it easily "gurantee for a fee" you already sell tradesquare on our accounts with no commission for us on this either. Why not allow us to earn a little extra while giving the customer what they want as well. Charge 5 bucks for guarenteed delivery and take 30%. There's the extra revenue stream your looking for.

In addition it would be nice to addvertise additional items at a deep discount while they are checking out a simple add to cart for half price. Just a thought. I feel it would be better for us sellers to make it easier to have larger purchases (quantity) then to sell each item individually. You would think this would make it better for you guys on a cost per sale platform. Some coding and you could add several features for us to push ours (or other items) sales

Thanks

I hope you read this ebay!

The USPS is the most ineffecient, undependable poorly run business on this planet and eBay is stated they are going to guarantee delevery! What a load of **bleep**. Just seems to me that eBay is just trying to copy amazon and get more sales from buyers so the shareholders are happier. 

Amazon can't even deliver "on time"  occasiaonly because third-party shippers like USPS fail to deliver them.

To me, this seems like a great way to increase customer disappointment, and all too likely yet-another reason for customers to push "not-my-fault" returns/refunds onto the seller.

eBay if you do read these comments then please reach out to me. I have 100 different ways you could better your company and site than this horse**bleep**. I could give Devin a lesson or two about running a company. 

Just a thought ...  I've always believed that anger often springs from expectations not being met.  It will be interesting to see if EBay encourages the development of angry buyers, and if so, who has to take on the brunt of that anger?   It doesn't bother me much ..  just interesting to watch. 

We reviewed the delivery performance and all the 'Late Shipment' items impacting our shipping  delivery performance are due to delays caused by USPS delivery.  At times, tracking shows up at time of delivery, and the items are shows as shipped late.

I agree with all of you that eBay doesn't have a good handle on identifying delayed shipments by USPS, and most likely we sellers would be impacted.

This a poorly considered addition to eBay.  As stated we CANNOT control the shippers.  Try doing things that help sellers instead of further penalizing them.

eBay's current "Money Back Guarantee" sucks so a "Delivery Guarantee" can only be worse.

Regarding eBay's Money Back Guarantee, I ship everything by USPS and since January, they have "Lost" items for a day or more never got them into their system on time - so my ratings were affected because the USPS held back the verification of when the shipments were given to them.

One item was lost by the USPS for two weeks. Even though I had a receipt, showing the date and time they received it, two weeks went by before it was recorded by their system.

Worse than that, one time a customer claimed he didn't get a package even after the USPS said they delivered it. So, eBay refunded him the money AND I paid --- forced to pay --- that refund. 

The only guarnatee is the refunds and extra postage costs come out of our pockets. No matter if the USPS screws up, the money comes out of our pockets.

The real fun one is when a customer makes a fraudlent claim, like ordering something from a seller to replace something the customer has something that's broken. Gets the seller's item and then returns the broken item claiming it is the one he just received. Sellers have no recourse and eBay charges us for the fraudlent return. 

Not sure I want another "Guarantee" that will hit me in the wallet and lower the slim profit I make.

Here we go again.   Does Ebay GUARANTEE that if its shipped on time that USPS will get it there on time? How is this in the sellers control? So if I ship a 500 dollar item and the USPS takes an extra day to deliver,are you going to take my money?      Sounds like you will lose all of your small sellers like me that sell less than 500k per year.

This new "Guarantee of Delivery" will only be as good as the USPS which we all know is unreliable. I have had many problems with the USPS's hancling of my shipments, the greatest is delayed posting of their scans.

I tried leaving items in my mailbox for pickup. Just about eveyone knows what the up, "Red Flag", on the Mail Box means. Well, apparently Mail Carriers don't. Most of my items are small and fit comfortably into my Mail Box and when I'd put something for PickUp they'd just push the items into the back of the Mail Box, put in the new mail and go on their merry way.

Luckily, I realized it when checking the new mail and was able to get to the Post Office before it closed. Now I go to the PO before closing every day and that's where the real rub comes in.

I wait in line, have each item scanned and get a receipt showing the date and time the USPS received the item at their counter. First off, it takes HOURS for the scan to show up and the posting time gets altered to the time the scan was processed not the time it was received. I've had a couple of items wind up showing after midnight and being posted on the following day. So, I get a ding on my reports that I'm shipping things late.

Plus, the customer sees that I shipped late because the USPS says so when they check the Tracking history. That is the same history that eBay checks and dings us for late shipment.

So how any system working on an unreliable repoeting system cannot work to the betterment of eBay sellers. I'm sure that eBay is not going to fund any refunds to our customers for shipping charges OR refunds for products that have delayed receipt.

Like said in a previous post yesterday, this is only going to cut charply into the narrow profit margins sellers here at eBay make while eBay takes most of the money in fees and guaranteed refunds.

I reiterate, this is a bad idea.

Ebay, has lost Reality! They Need Major Revamp! 

I've owned a chain of clothing store for 30 years.

In my humble opinion...they're out of touch with 

backing the sellers...more in favor of the buyers. 

Time to find another selling source.  I'm over Ebay! 

My concern is... Do Top Rated Sellers have to opt in to this to remain Top Rated? Is this an attempt to make it more difficult to be a TRS? How much more are you (ebay) going to take from the sellers who work so hard to maintain their TRS status? I don't know how much more I have left in me to keep doing this (for a badge and a measely 10% discount on SOME of my listings). Ebay, you're chasing away GOOD sellers and creating a cesspool of both buyers and sellers alike. 

This is a horrible idea. You cannot "guarantee" delivery.

What people don't seem to understand is that some of us are still using normal envelopes with first class stamps, no tracking, and even then companies like USPS with tracking are STILL not reliable. If anyone wants to "guarantee" shipping accuracy, ebay needs to invest in their own shipping services or keep the F out of the shipping world. You have a goverment ran agency (who sucks) being USPS which keeps their prices somewhat affordable to use or companies like UPS or FedEx that have higher prices, so options are limited. If you're a small business shipping out decals, you have no need for the larger shipment subscriptions but ebay doesn't and won't ever realize that. So I guess it's screw the little guys over who can't reep the benifits of using expensive shipping services that don't make a lick of financial sense for us. What happen to the good ol days where ebay stepped aside and cared about selling and not competeting with stupid companies like AMAZON, because that's the only reason I see why they do this. Ebay isn't and won't ever be AMAZON, so STOP trying...

Do Top Rated Sellers have to opt in to this to remain Top Rated?

TRS is not a program you can opt into, it is a status you earn through your hard work.  TRS and TRS+ are NOT the same thing.  

Is this an attempt to make it more difficult to be a TRS?

I don't think so.  While it may be a little more challenging for some sellers, you just really need to make sure that your packages get scanned in within your handling time.  I know that is easier for some and a mess for others.  If you are one of those sellers that is having trouble with their local PO get the scans timely.  Go talk to the postmaster [manager].  Tell them your problems you are having about getting things scanned in on time and always remain calm and respectful to them.

How much more are you (ebay) going to take from the sellers who work so hard to maintain their TRS status? I don't know how much more I have left in me to keep doing this (for a badge and a measely 10% discount on SOME of my listings).

Then let it go if the 10% discount is no longer important to you.  Just let it go.  You can change your handling time to 2 or 3 days and your return policy to 14 days.  On those listings you will no longer qualify for TRS+ but it does NOT do anything to your TRS status.  There are still good benefit to being TRS that saves you money.

And yes TRS+ discount is on select listings NOT a thing for a seller as a whole unless all their listings qualify.  And TRS+ discount is only given on qualified listings that are shipped to a USA address.  We never have gotten the discount on International sales or on the S&H of a domestic sale.

This is a horrible idea. You cannot "guarantee" delivery.

Well the good news is you do NOT have to offer this for your customers.  This rule has two different options for everyone to consider.  You can opt into either version or NOT at all.  There is no penalty to NOT opt in.  It won't affect you at all.  This isn't a requirement to any TRS member, it isn't a requirement for anyone.  It has nothing to do with TRS or TRS+.

Now before you get to far, you may really want to read this policy again as the first option is for your handling time only.  That option may not be as bad as you think if you are not currently having any problem with getting your stuff scanned on time.  The benefits of opting into it could be good, but none of us will really know until we test it out for awhile.

The second option for D2D is a bit much to swallow for me and way too risky IMHO, but with that said, there will be larger sellers out there that this may be worth the risk.  But that is for each seller to decide for themselves.

There is a lot of bad info on this thread and others.  So I just encourage you to read and digest the policy and make an informed decision for yourself.  And when it comes time for the policy to be implemented, read the policy again as Ebay is known to make last minute changes.

What people don't seem to understand is that some of us are still using normal envelopes with first class stamps, no tracking, and even then companies like USPS with tracking are STILL not reliable.

I don't know that there is a lack of understanding regarding sellers that ship as you do.  I was a huge subject back when they started the TRS program.  This is just one of those policies that won't work for you unless you want to change how you ship.  Lucky for you and others like you, Ebay isn't forcing you to change.  This is an optional policy.

If anyone wants to "guarantee" shipping accuracy, ebay needs to invest in their own shipping services or keep the F out of the shipping world. You have a goverment ran agency (who sucks) being USPS which keeps their prices somewhat affordable to use or companies like UPS or FedEx that have higher prices, so options are limited.

There is no requirement in this policy to have to ship via premium methods.  It is a shame that you have so many problems with USPS, I mean that sincerely.  For me, USPS does a great job for me 99.9% of the time.  Most of my stuff is shipped FCP [first class parcel].  I certainly agree that pricing, especially on internation rates, are getting way too expensive.

If you're a small business shipping out decals, you have no need for the larger shipment subscriptions but ebay doesn't and won't ever realize that.

I'm not sure what you are referring to.  What is a "larger shipment subscription"?  I have no shipment subscription for anything.  What is it that I'm missing?  Is there a subscription that allows me to save more money?  I'd love to take a look at that.  Please provide more info.

So I guess it's screw the little guys over who can't reep the benifits of using expensive shipping services that don't make a lick of financial sense for us.

You misunderstand.  How is it that you think you are getting screwed by this policy?  There is no requirement in this policy to use expensive shipping services.  NONE!  And you can opt in or not.  So if you don't like it, don't sign up for it.  It really is as simple as that.  

What happen to the good ol days where ebay stepped aside and cared about selling and not competeting with stupid companies like AMAZON, because that's the only reason I see why they do this. Ebay isn't and won't ever be AMAZON, so STOP trying...

I know many people have said this over the years.  And maybe they are trying to better compete with Amazon, but maybe not.  This get said by many whenever Ebay makes a change that some are oposed to.  It might just be Ebay trying to answer to a large group of buyers that want something like this.  It might just be Ebay trying to remain relavent to the current marketplace.  Todays marketplace is just NOT the same as it was when Ebay started.

If Ebay would stay the same decade after decade, chances are pretty good it would become stagnet as the technology and buyers are quite different than they were back when.  With that said I need to interject that I do think Ebay makes too many rule changes which only lead to a much more complicated life for sellers and buyers.  

@mam98031

I know you do not opt into a TRS status, it is earned. (Did you seriously feel like have to explain that to me?)

And if it were up to me, I would let all those conditions go, like 30-day returns and 1-day handling time, but the powers that be demand  that we offer those things so that we get the discount. 

It seems if we opt into this guaranteed delivery program, we are setting ourselves up for more late shipments (obviously beyond our control once it leaves our facility), and buyer disappointment, which equals bad ratings - so it does seem like an attempt to knock down TRS status, so they don't have to give us the decreased discount. All the metrics are tightening up, and we will get less for working harder.

I will definitely have to read into this program more, but initially I'm feeling like we're being set up to fail as TRS.

I don't think it's possible to Guarantee Delivery by a third party, as there are definitely variables which can impact delivery.  This is a big country, with different weather patterns, storms, floods, etc.   Adverse shipping problems could beset the carrier, which definitely has an impact on a Guaranteed Delivery.  Ebay encounters a software bug, which means Sellers can't finalize orders.  There can always be "something" happening that would prevent a Guaranteed Delivery.

My sales are restricted to USA, no international at all - ever.  I try to eliminate as many "variables" on my end as I can by restricting where I sell, a minimum 1-day handling time in case of software glitches, logistical problems, etc.  I'm not such a big Seller that I can't provide a personal touch, and always communicate with Buyer that package has been prepared, is being delivered to Post Office next day for shipping, etc.  I don't receive any negative comments regarding shipping.  If anything, Buyers compliment the speed with which they receive their items. 

As long as this "Guaranteed Delivery" is a VOLUNTARY election on the part of the Seller, and not required for us to comply, I have no problem with it.  

I agree with some other posters that, if this is optional, I will have no problem with it. But BOY it had better not be mandatory!!!!! My suggestion would be to have sellers subscribe or choose a 2-day delivery option....just like Amazon Prime.

I already bust my butt to get items packed & shipped the same day so I can provide the best customer service that I possibly can. I am a retired person selling my own overstock of supplies, collections, & whatnots. I am a 1-woman operation. Guaranteed delivery puts more pressure on me as well as USPS. Even with the best intentions, USPS Priority Mail can say that a package will arrive in 2 days...but then weather happens & the package is delayed, it gets mis-routed, there's theft, packages get misplaced at a distribution center & don't make it onto the right truck, etc. There are a hundred different scenarios. Don't try to control or put pressure on a government agency.

I just wish that everybody would stop trying to compete with Amazon Prime. All you're doing is tempting the USPS to raise their rates AGAIN & AGAIN. Yo eBay...please do your own thing & come up with your own idea...how about giving sellers a BIGGER discount on shipping & lowering the fees that you take from us on shipping + the 10% of every sale. It just may actually encourage some of us smaller peons (who are not resellers) to sell more items....

@plumbingspecials

And if it were up to me, I would let all those conditions go, like 30-day returns and 1-day handling time, but the powers that be demand  that we offer those things so that we get the discount. 

It is [or was] an incentive to offering those two things.  Just like B&M or some other online stores will offer certain this at a reduced cost to you if you meet the requirements of the sale.   Or maybe an employer offering certain employees if they meet a certain goal they get a certain bonus.  Nothing is unusual about goal oriented benefits.  We can opt to try and achieve them or not.  Completely a personal decision to make.

It seems if we opt into this guaranteed delivery program, we are setting ourselves up for more late shipments (obviously beyond our control once it leaves our facility), and buyer disappointment, which equals bad ratings

It isn't for everyone, that is for sure.  But there are two different options that are NOT one and the same.  I would never opt into D2D, way too risking IMHO, but it will be considered a good thing to some much larger sellers.  The handling time option is very different and far less risky.  If you currently have no problem with you items being scanned within your stated handling time, it may well work really well for a seller.

- so it does seem like an attempt to knock down TRS status, so they don't have to give us the decreased discount. All the metrics are tightening up, and we will get less for working harder.

I'm not sure what their goal would be in encouraging TRS members to leave the program due to stiffer rules.  There is no discount for being TRS.

I will definitely have to read into this program more, but initially I'm feeling like we're being set up to fail as TRS.

This may help you in your research.  It is very informative and worth the read.

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Chat-with-eBay-Staff/Weekly-Community-Chat-March-22nd-1pm-PT-eBa...

I agree with some other posters that, if this is optional, I will have no problem with it. But BOY it had better not be mandatory!!!

Don't depend on other peoples opinions on if this is good or bad for you.  There is ALOT of incorrect information on this thread.  You need to read the policy for yourself.  Threads are great for debating certain points and the opportunity to learn more.  It doesn't appear that you have because if you had you'd be able to answer that question.

My suggestion would be to have sellers subscribe or choose a 2-day delivery option....just like Amazon Prime.

Why?  If we can't compete, how will we survive?  If we aren't moving forward then we are stagnet or maybe worse backwards.  If we don't make changes how do we prepare for the future.  Selling stuff on the internet now is just not the same as it was 10 years ago.  If we don't try to keep up with what buyers want just so the sellers stay comfortable with the rules, then fewer buyers will come.  I do however agree somewhat.  I feel Ebay sometimes make changes or new policies for the sake of making changes.  But IMHO what that really accomplishes is to keep everyone [buyers and sellers] off balance.  While many sellers don't like change, there are more buyers that really resents them.

I see what ebay is tyrying to do but think there is better ways to do it. This is just ebays answer to Amazons "Prime only" search feature. When I need something fast I usually go to Amazon cause I can get it in two days whereas in ebay I don't trust for fast shipments because people always seem to be shipping late and shipping by other slower methods than you paid for so I can actually see how this search option would be useful in ebay and I bet only the compotent sellers that feel they could get the job done within that time frame would offer this option . The "Guaranteed" in the name has to go, as everyone else said , it is asking for problems but maybe sellers should give an extra day to be safe for instance if you offer 3 day Guaranteed and ship by Priority Express than it will get there within 3 days probably 999 out of 1000 times to anywhere in the US and you will likely get new buyers from it who need there stuff within a certain time frame. The search feature just weeds out all the sellers who can't compete within that timeframe and so this could actually gain good sellers business that they are losing to Amazon. It doesn't seem like a mandatory thing so if you don't like the idea just don't use it. The other new feature about shipping cut off times is definitely needed because some people order something that day and expect it to ship the same day but it could be past the time you have your mail pickup or dropoff so this will also minimize confusion as to when an item will be shipped out.  It should also stop buyers from sending those messages similar to, "need this shipped today or cancel my order if it cannot". So it should reduce messages which I am all for. The shipping table is a good idea too, I always thought they needed more flexibility for shipping rates so you can really hone them in. Think of it like flat rate shipping option but to each region, so if you are on the east coast than for example you can offer 5 dollar shipping to east coast, 7 to midwest and 10 to West coast rather than before you would have to put 10 to everywhere otherwise you would lose money in some locations. At least I'm assuming this is what they mean unless it's like Amazon where it's you set a per pound price comnined with a per item price.

So your gonna allow buyers to leave negative feedback and low DSR scores to USPS and the rest, and have the mail courier pony up the guarantee when there package doesn't arrive when (guaranteed)...  

Because we get our items out the same day nearly 95% of the time and your software glitch in my case, shows the chicken came before the egg, that's right.... my scans from receiving distribution centers are showing up before the uploaded tracking info; let's think about that, (how is it possible that when I print a label and tracking is created, there is a 12hr lag in some cases or longer, eBay is getting uploaded info after the package has been scanned, and in a few cases even received ? 

Is ebay trying to force sellers to use their shipping services since they get steep discounts from the carriers?  I hope this isn't the cause. eBay doesn't have the mapping and needed support sixbit,inkfrog and shipstation does.

Buyers are getting items fast, protect the sellers with guarantees, because I can guarantee the buyers go where the sellers have good items for low prices, and guarantee good service, on their business ethic and longevity.

I still insist that this is risky. USPS does its best to give customers good service already but they are human. I live in a small suburb. I know the people at the USPS counter by face & some by name. This puts way too much pressure on sellers & USPS. While I cannot predict the future, I suspect this push may create a customer service meltdown. Packages will get smashed, broken, or lost. Sellers will take less time & care to pack. I have received packages from Amazon Prime that are just thrown into a box without ANY packing materials. This is NOT good service. Buyers will not be happy & will leave adverse feedback. I take pride in 100% because I CARE about getting the item to the buyer safely. I also believe that postage rates will increase if USPS has to guarantee 2 days. I don't see any way around it. That trickles down to the seller.

Resellers may be okay with this. They may have "staff" working for them. They may have warehouses with thousands of items they don't care about. They want to be bigger, better, and rule the world in the fast lane. I do not. I am a woman who spent 50 years as an executive in the workplace & retired to slow down. Been there done that. I am downsizing supplies & other items in my own home. I enjoy this challenge & am NOT a dummy with technology but I am not a reseller. I don't want to be a reseller. I store inventory on shelving in my basement & I use 2 inkjet printers for labels. I am old school & don't have a lot of money to throw into this. The current methods are working just fine. So what if it's status quo? Do not change what is not broken. Enhance it if you want to but give smaller sellers the option to still choose 1st Class Mail & regular Priority Mail while giving their customers the best quality service.

For those out there who argue that "we must PUSH PUSH PUSH" and "we must be better"...go for it. Go into motivational speaking because it's not for me. I do not want to be a dropship operation. I'm not in this to make millions. Here's my message: You are not in my shoes. You are not here to watch what I do with my day. Sorry but I don't want more big changes.

I stick by my suggestion to make this "idea" should remain optional for the seller to choose which delivery service they want to use...exactly as it is now...but include a guaranteed 2 day delivery option from the drop-down list. If the customer needs a item quickly, they should have to pay extra to get it there quickly. I'm already barely making anything on my items as it is because I need to keep my listings competitive, offer free shipping, cover that shipping cost, & leave a little meat on the bone in the end. I use whatever service gets the item to the customer in the safest manner. I take time to pack well. I am not a machine. For the most part, my items are smaller & 1st class mail gets it there JUST FINE. I'm going to ALWAYS choose the method that is best for me because I work the shipping into the item listing price. USPS Priority Express Mail is ridiculous $$. Regular Priority Mail is perfectly acceptable for items over 1 lb. Most Packages arrive in 2 days aleady. Having to raise my prices AGAIN because of hiked up shipping means this may no longer an option for me & I go back to having garage sales or to my local B&M antique mall or sell on Evil Craigslist. I don't want to do that if I don't have to . Raising prices & making big changes is definitely not the name of this game. Please listen to the SMALL sellers.

This is total crazy!  I as the seller can ship it out, but I have no control how the postal system moves.  I do not like this and don't want a part of this.  I can say I will ship next day but  this is off the wall to say when exactly it will be delivered.  Don't like it.  Who ever came up with this idea was smoking something.

Anyone interested click onto this track # ...item only going about 10 miles mailed Mar 25 ...its still touring the U.S.  9400109699938305971237

The CEO should read this scan and then tell me about guaranteed delivery ..the usps sucks.PERIOD !!!!

I  wish i could put a forever stamp on me and see the country

As primarily a buyer I don't even want this option.  Amazon fails to meet delivery deadlines more than it meets them.  When you call to complain they tack an extra month of Amazon Prime on to your account.  I want less restrictions on my sellers. If they have less restrictions I get better pricing.  I buy A LOT on eBay and have for over a decade,  leave the sellers alone.  The market will correct if given the opportunity to do so. Good sellers will always rise to the top and the **bleep** ones will just vanish. We don't need more seller regulation, we need less.