cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right finish for ACEOs?

I'm getting ready to spray my first ACEOs and would like some input. I've seen some say they use a lacquer - how is that applied and what exactly is it called? I have a spray that is by Krylon it simply says it is a durable, protective coating that is "low odor" and can be used indoors which I need because I do not have access to a seperate place to spray than the two rooms I live in with one long narrow window. Will everyone tell me what you use to "finish" your pieces of art? PJ
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Right finish for ACEOs?

Usually nothing, I like the textures of the different components to be apparent. I have used a liquid varnish in the past, though -no spraying needed, just a brush. Some people use Diamond Glaze. Some brush on gel medium. Hope this helps! Laurie
Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

I should say that I am doing watercolor with ink. So, I need something that would keep it from running in the future if it would get wet (even a drop). Any help for watercolor finishes? PJ
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

jeanze*art
Enthusiast
Although I put sealants on some pieces (pencils and pastels, for example) and varnish on collage pieces and sometimes on art marker pieces, I avoid sealants on watercolors. There's such a risk of ruining the piece. Maybe others have better thoughts on this, but I like watercolor au naturale. :)
Jeanne
Y
http://jeanze.blogspot.com/
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

I've experimented with this a lot. I do use some watercolors, but it's watered down acrylics, so probably not the same thing. When I started painting I was doing larger art on canvas, and coated those paintings with a gloss medium. I like the shiny look, but the problem with ACEOs is that I use ink with acrylics, and I found out the hard way that acrylic gloss medium makes ink run all over the place. I tried a spray-on gloss fixative, but didn't like the results (too uneven). What I'm doing now, which is working great . . . I give the card a very light spray of Blick matte workable fixative to seal the ink, then brush on the gloss varnish. This leaves me with an even finish, and nothing smears. Kathy

Kathy
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

jeanze*art So you think it would be okay to sell watercolor ACEOs without any finish? I did buy clear plastic sleeves that I will have them in, is that all I need? PJ
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

jeanze*art
Enthusiast
PJ, I think that's fine, and for some collectors, it's even preferable! Go for it! Jeanne
Jeanne
Y
http://jeanze.blogspot.com/
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

res0rd7c
Enthusiast
I use Krylon Kamar Spray Varnish on my acrylic aceo's and my water color aceo's and have only had a problem once with running, that was only because I put too heavy of a coat of spray making it puddle. If you do light coats it dries quick and works great. Dianne
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

Dianne, Have you ever run into a collector who preferred that the ACEO did not have a finish? PJ
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

ME PJ! Sue
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

OK! Now I just need to wait for a camera battery that is supposed to be arriving by UPS today (I don't have a car) and I'll post some ACEOs for your perusal! PJ
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

res0rd7c
Enthusiast
PJ, no I have never had any of my buyers say anything about the varnish finish on the cards. I would rather do that than have them get distroyed if they got water on them. Dianne
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

Dianne, Thanks for your input! PJ
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

I don't even like my photographs or paintings framed behind glass, especially non reflective glass...... i have to frame the pastel one cos it drops off to much....(and i do use fixative) but other than that.....
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Right finish for ACEOs?

Do you place the ACEO in a plastic sleeve once varnished? Won't it stick onto the plastic sleeve?

Thank you for your reply in advance 🙂

Mona

Message 15 of 17
latest reply