cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Update your business seller account to comply with the Digital Services Act

The Digital Services Act is a regulation established by the European Commission to promote consumer protection. European law requires business sellers using online marketplaces like eBay include their business contact details on listings offered to buyers in the European Union. 

Starting in early 2024, if you’re a registered business seller who sells to buyers in the EU, you’ll need to show your business contact details on listings available for purchase in the EU. We know following new or updated regulations can be difficult to track and take time, so we’ve made it easy for you to provide your customized business contact information.

By sharing your business details you’ll earn trust with your EU buyers, and stay on top of the EU regulation before this becomes a requirement in early 2024.

Please ensure that all questions and comments remain on topic. Any off topic posts will be moved to the appropriate board, so they can be answered by Community Members. 

Please allow us 24-72 hours to provide an answer to your question. 

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

>>If you’re registered as a business seller on eBay and have listings eligible for purchase by EU buyers, then you’ll have to provide your business information.

Does this mean sellers registered as an individual are exempt?

What about sellers registered as an individual that exceed a certain sales volume (like with the INFORM act changes)? Will they be considered business sellers for the purposes of the DSA or is it purely based on a business vs individual account registration status?

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

>>If you’re registered as a business seller on eBay and have listings eligible for purchase by EU buyers, then you’ll have to provide your business information.

Does this mean sellers registered as an individual are exempt?

What about sellers registered as an individual that exceed a certain sales volume (like with the INFORM act changes)? Will they be considered business sellers for the purposes of the DSA or is it purely based on a business vs individual account registration status?

Hello @wastingtime101! DSA is only impacting sellers registered as business seller who sells to buyers in the EU.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

I don't see a discussion thread for unpaid items seller_update@ebay - can you please create one then move this post there? Thanks!

>>We're also implementing stricter policies–including account suspension–for users who repeatedly win auctions or make a Best Offer on items but fail to complete the purchase.

Will this also apply to buyers that add to cart (or buy it now) and commit to purchase, but the buyer doesn't follow through and the order is cancelled for non payment? (Obviously the seller in this situation does not use IPR.)

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I don't see a discussion thread for unpaid items seller_update@ebay - can you please create one then move this post there? Thanks!

>>We're also implementing stricter policies–including account suspension–for users who repeatedly win auctions or make a Best Offer on items but fail to complete the purchase.

Will this also apply to buyers that add to cart (or buy it now) and commit to purchase, but the buyer doesn't follow through and the order is cancelled for non payment? (Obviously the seller in this situation does not use IPR.)

It is important to distinguish between simply adding an item to a cart, versus accepting an offer and committing to buy.  In instances where a buyer has committed to buy, these new stricter policies will apply.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I am not talking about simply adding to cart.

I am talking about adding fixed price listings to cart and committing to purchase through the cart then not following through with payment. Transaction exists but without payment transaction is cancelled. No offer involved. No auction involved.

Are you saying the stricter policies will apply when there is a commitment to purchase, transaction is cancelled for non-payment, but no offer or auction is involved?

GLORIOUS!

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

I am talking about adding fixed price listings to cart and committing to purchase through the cart then not following through with payment. Transaction exists but without payment transaction is cancelled. No offer involved. No auction involved.

Are you saying the stricter policies will apply when there is a commitment to purchase, transaction is cancelled for non-payment, but no offer or auction is involved?

@wastingtime101 If the listing is a fixed price listing and is set up to require immediate payment this will fall under our updated unpaid item policy. 

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

seller_update@ebay wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

@wastingtime101 If the listing is a fixed price listing and is set up to require immediate payment this will fall under our updated unpaid item policy. 

Sorry if my question isn't clear, but I mentioned in my first post above - no IPR enabled. Obviously if IPR was enabled then non-payment would not come into play and my question would not exist. 🙂

I hate to ask a third time, but my question still stands. Sorry seller_update@ebay - just not clear on the response so far.

GLORIOUS!

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

seller_update@ebay wrote:

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Sorry if my question isn't clear, but I mentioned in my first post above - no IPR enabled. Obviously if IPR was enabled then non-payment would not come into play and my question would not exist. 🙂

I hate to ask a third time, but my question still stands. Sorry seller_update@ebay - just not clear on the response so far.

@wastingtime101 It is ok! We want to help out on this! Can you give an example for the question you are asking?

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Example 1: Buyer adds 4 items to cart. Hits request total link for combined ship. Seller sends invoice. Buyer never pays. TX cancelled for non-payment.

Example 2: Buyer adds multiple items to cart. Buyer commits to purchase (no total requested). Seller does not have IPR enabled, so buyer can commit to purchase without immediately making a payment. Buyer never pays. TX cancelled for non-payment.

I will email you a real life example 2 from this past week right now. Not going to post order numbers or buyer details here on the public forum.

GLORIOUS!

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

@wastingtime101 wrote:

Example 1: Buyer adds 4 items to cart. Hits request total link for combined ship. Seller sends invoice. Buyer never pays. TX cancelled for non-payment.

Example 2: Buyer adds multiple items to cart. Buyer commits to purchase (no total requested). Seller does not have IPR enabled, so buyer can commit to purchase without immediately making a payment. Buyer never pays. TX cancelled for non-payment.

I will email you a real life example 2 from this past week right now. Not going to post order numbers or buyer details here on the public forum.

@wastingtime101 In both of the examples that you shared these would both fall under unpaid items and the newly updated policy! 

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

Thank you for sticking with me 'til we got there.

GLORIOUS!

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Question #1:  Will our business details appear to US buyers as well? 

Question #2:  Are we able to change our registration from Business to Personal? 

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@macsgoodstuff wrote:

Question #2:  Are we able to change our registration from Business to Personal? 

Hello @macsgoodstuff! For your first question your business name, business address, verified email and phone number, and where relevant, business registration number will appear on your listings available for purchase to EU buyers. It’s recommended that you include your business's customer service contact information (e.g., phone number and email), if applicable.

And for your second question at this time going from business to personal is not an option. 

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@macsgoodstuff wrote:

You should find this page helpful for your questions about US buyers.

https://www.ebay.com/sellercenter/resources/inform-consumers-act

GLORIOUS!

Message 15 of 28
latest reply