cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing First Class Mail Designation

I asked about this earlier - I'm missing the USPS First Class mail designation on any listings I make from scratch, or for any templates that I have to change from Priority to First Class.  I don't have any other problems with this new listing form, but this one is confusing.  I swear I'm missing something - it's probably right in front of me.  Can somebody he'p me out?

Signed, Helpless Henry

First image - what I see on first opening Edit All (this is the section before one gets into alternate shipping methods and priority).

Second image - what I see when I try to find "USPS First Class" - I tried several different iterations to see if I just didn't have the words right - same result.

Screenshot 2022-05-08 222816.jpg

Screenshot 2022-05-08 222738.jpg

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

Is the weight you entered ABOVE the first class maximum?

I tried a "sell one like this" on one of your "new" listings, First Class didn't show until I reduced the weight to below 1lb.

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

Won't ticking 'Economy shipping' cover USPS First Class?? Does anything happen when you tick it? 🤔

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I've used standard shipping to cover it for lack of anything else.

@slippinjimmy  I use flat rate shipping, not calculated - eBay isn't going to know if something is under 15.9 oz or not.  I tried using calculated instead and still didn't get the first class designation, but that was a bit ago.

ETA: I do have calculated shipping, though, on the DVD player.  I'll play with a sell similar and see what happens.  But it's interesting that it appeared for you.  I just want to know what I'm missing.  On those templates that already have first class, 'first class' does appear in the listing.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Won't ticking 'Economy shipping' cover USPS First Class?? Does anything happen when you tick it? 🤔

First Class Package is not Economy shipping; it's Standard Shipping. 

I would plug in a package weight of zero pounds and 16 or less ounces (a 0/16 entry will print as 15.999 ounces on the label), and see if that will reveal the First Class Package option.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

I would plug in a package weight of zero pounds and 16 or less ounces (a 0/16 entry will print as 15.999 ounces on the label), and see if that will reveal the First Class Package option.

Update to what I posted previously: The above does work; it's a weight limitation that will not show First Class Package if the weight does not qualify. I just did a quick Sell Similar test on an item previously described as 2 pounds in weight, and there was no First Class Package shown as a Standard shipping option until I lowered the weight to 1 pound, zero ounces. If I bumped it up past the domestic FCP weight limit to 1 pound, 1 ounce or higher, the First Class Package option disappeared again.

(That notation of 1/0 didn't work on the old form, but does on the new one. In the past, 0 pounds and 16 ounces was the limit, even though it's obviously the same thing.)

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

@a_c_green wrote:

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

Update to what I posted previously: I just did a quick Sell Similar test on an item previously described as 2 pounds in weight, and there was no First Class Package shown as a Standard shipping option until I lowered the weight to 1 pound, zero ounces. If I bumped it up past the domestic FCP weight limit to 1 pound, 1 ounce or higher, the First Class Package option disappeared again.

(That notation of 1/0 didn't work on the old form, but does on the new one. In the past, 0 pounds and 16 ounces was the limit, even though it's obviously the same thing.)

Thanks for sharing the test.........need to remember this!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

There's also the length limit. I think it's 22 inches but might be 18.

You could also print label on another site and enter the tracking number.

But I bet you knew all that.

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@iart wrote:

Nonstandard fees do apply for a package greater than 22 inches in length (among other things), but you can still send it as First Class Package.

Ref: https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/133.htm?_gl=1*phm47b*_ga*MzkwNTgyMzA5LjE2MzgwNDM1ODg.*_ga_3NXP3C8S9V... 

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I've used standard shipping to cover it for lack of anything else.

@slippinjimmy  I use flat rate shipping, not calculated - eBay isn't going to know if something is under 15.9 oz or not.  I tried using calculated instead and still didn't get the first class designation, but that was a bit ago.

ETA: I do have calculated shipping, though, on the DVD player.  I'll play with a sell similar and see what happens.  But it's interesting that it appeared for you.  I just want to know what I'm missing.  On those templates that already have first class, 'first class' does appear in the listing.

The listing (255528019651) I tested had a weight of 2lbs in the weight fields so even if it was Flat Rate First Class would not be an available option.

Pretty much the same as what @a_c_green reported.

If you only use Flat Rate maybe you can fix the issue in bulk by changing the weight to zero (weight not needed for flat rate), if you do that then you should see every option eBay offers.

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

Thanks for all the replies!  I was at the gym but am back.

OK, I did a sell similar for one of my listings that had calculated shipping, and did what @slippinjimmy did and changed the weight to 14 oz and entered package size.  First class came up.

None of my clothing listings or other old tech have calculated shipping. A couple of things I do tell the buyer that it ships say at the 2 lb rate because I have to charge priority and the item doesn't seem like it would be that heavy, but it is.  I don't use calculated for that.

So, it appears that for my garden-variety clothing items, shipping with flat rate (my own flat rate, not USPS flat rate - I use flat rate capped), unless I have it already in my template and don't change anything, it does NOT show me first class as any kind of default unless I change it to calculated and enter package dimensions as well as weight.

That's quite different from the old listing form.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

@mtgraves7984 wrote:

No, nothing happens - I did try that. Also standard shipping. 

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@iart wrote:

You could also print label on another site and enter the tracking number.

But I bet you knew all that.

@iart  I use Pirateship because eBay's labels refuse to print out on my thermal printer after lo these many years - I have no idea why - I've fiddled with settings on two browsers, and with this hiccup it makes even more sense.  I just like the buyer to know that it's coming first class and not mystery class.

Years ago on the old listing form I had volume shipping missing - it just disappeared one day - people were showing me screen dumps and I kept comparing and trying but the entire section was completely missing from my SYI.  I feel like I'm in Forever Beta.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

So, it appears that for my garden-variety clothing items, shipping with flat rate (my own flat rate, not USPS flat rate - I use flat rate capped), unless I have it already in my template and don't change anything, it does NOT show me first class as any kind of default unless I change it to calculated and enter package dimensions as well as weight.

The ONLY thing I changed was the weight, if the listing I was using was Flat Rate I didn't change it, all I did was reduce the weight from 2lbs to 15oz, the instant I did that the page reloaded and the First Class option was there.

I don't think it matters one bit if it's calculated or flat rate, what matters is the weight that is entered, more than 16oz and it won't show First Class.

I'd bet that if you have shipping set to Retail Rates it will only show First Class up to 13oz (Flat Rate or Calculated).

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

@slippinjimmy   I think I confused the issue by saying 'flat rate' and I'm sorry about that - I don't use USPS official flat rate, I just use a flat rate capped system of my own devising due to the fact that shipping from where I live is expensive to almost anywhere save the I5 corridor (I live in the PNW) - I roll a bit into the item price.  I never enter any weight for shipping because I don't use calculated shipping.

The old listing form allowed you to simply choose first class without entering any weight (same with priority).  This system apparently doesn't unless one enters package dimensions and weight.  I'll fiddle with it some more.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 15 of 26
latest reply