cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOOD NEWS FROM EBAY- SELLERS PROTECTION :)FINALLY

ebay HAS GIVEN FINALLY GOOD NEWS 

New abusive buyer protections and reporting feature update

We're implementing stronger measures against buyers who don't follow eBay's abusive buyer policy. We're introducing new measures to proactively find abusive buyers, prevent them from filing return requests, and in some cases suspend them. When we find that a buyer violated the policy, we will remove any feedback and defects, including opened cases in service metrics.

We've also made it easier for you to report buyers who violate eBay policies. Now when you report a buyer, you can more clearly describe what the buyer is doing to help us investigate potential policy violations and take actions to protect you.

Reduced search visibility for sellers who use a retailer to ship directly to buyers

Sellers who use retailers or marketplaces to ship directly to buyers are in violation of our drop shipping policy and will be lowered in search results, giving sellers who own their own inventory or drop ship from wholesalers greater search visibility.

We protect you in other ways, too

Additional protections include:

• Removal of negative feedback and defects when you've done your part (e.g., tracking shows on-time delivery) or when things happen that are beyond your control, such as weather or carrier delays.
  • Partial refunds in the returns flow for items returned opened or used when you offer free returns.

Learn more about the many ways we protect you on eBay.

Your track record matters

This summer, we will announce new seller protections that will be based on your track record and how we will protect you when you provide great service to buyers.

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

Re: GOOD NEWS FROM EBAY- SELLERS PROTECTION :)FINALLY

@uniwarehousewares wrote:
they did something good in policy you should read every word carefully of policy, but i have my concern about paypal, ebay should find solution of this , what if seller is protected by ebay and still buyer get his money through paypal ? i hope ebay should find solution on this too.

I haven't read the policy, but I read what you put in the first post and I didn't see anything about ebay adding any financial protection for sellers.  Just that they might do a little more investigating into abusive buyer reports.  If they specified that they would reimburse a seller if that investigation did find the buyer to be abusive, that would be something closer to what I consider "seller protection".

Message 46 of 89
latest reply

guys ebay is still thousand times better than amazon, if you want to know what is value of seller than try amazon, amazon will ripped you out and behave with sellers like a slave, ebay has still better policy when its come to selling, the only problem is the CS, every day many sellers couldn't get or get wrong resolution due to untrained CS, its my personal experience, if you are sure you are right than call again CS and again and once you will find right person who can do analysis and give you resolution, some cs follow policies only and some follow policies and do analysis, everything is not cover in policy thats why cs is there.

eBay is not 1000 times better than Amazon ... they are just different.

• Amazon does not have anything close to the bad/dishonest buyers that are on eBay.
  • Amazon's customer service is much, much better
  • Listing a product on Amazon is much, much easier
  • The customer base on Amazon is much larger ... items move quicker there, and for higher prices

However, eBay has advantages ...

• A seller can sell a lot more things on eBay than on Amazon because Amazon gates product categories
  • Fees are cheaper on eBay
  • A seller can get exposure on eBay when there is competition  ... more difficult on Amazon.
Message 47 of 89
latest reply

:: general reply ::

To sum up:

If "abusive buyers" cost ebay money, ebay will do something about it. 

If "abusive buyers" cost sellers money, oh lucky day for ebay - no refunds of fees, more fees collected on return shipping and higher fees are collected due to sellers' metrics.

The devil is always in the details; we have to call CS and we all know what happens then.  Ebay is also banking on no one sitting on hold for 45 minutes/day for 12 days to get a refund of $4.30.

Truly, there is not one concrete policy that improves seller protection in this "more seller protection" update.

Note:  I'm late to this party; haven't read ebay's answers about this on the Update Board.  Maybe I'll change my opinion.

Nah.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 48 of 89
latest reply

Thank you for your concern, actually hold time is not more than 5 minutes if you have prime store subscription, i dont know about other stores subscriptions benefits,we have no choice when we have scammers attack on us.

What is a prime store subscription?  Are you talking about Amazon?

I have a Premium Store on Ebay.  My wait time is usually long.

Message 49 of 89
latest reply

@goodluckselling wrote:

@webwanna wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

The announcement said they are starting to take proactive steps, which indicates they are moving forward to identify specific violations before sellers get involved.

Good Luck Selling!

moving forward to identify specific violations....

what were they doing before when we were reporting buyers?  

My guess is they were assembling buyers accounts into specific violation areas and will proactively make changes to the buyers accounts based on there findings.

Good Luck Selling!

My guess is they were doing the easiest thing possible, nothing.

Message 50 of 89
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@spreadlovelikefire wrote:
I have a question about the seller metric. I just called customer service twice and was told that ebay will still be implementing the defect on sellers accounts in the event that a return is clearly opened incorrectly. I currently have 5 of these and am livid by this. All were closed out by ebay in my favor and all will go against my service metric. I thought in the spring update "When we find that a buyer violated the policy, we will remove any feedback and defects, including opened cases in service metrics." means that ebay will be able to remove those from the metric. But customer service says contrary and that they are interpreting it as only cases where there is a bigger investigation as in a buyer getting kicked off for abusing the system, not just opening up an item not described case. Can you please clarify this as this will determine if I will continue selling on ebay or jump ship as this is not something I can willingly stand behind. I am a wonderful seller and love my buyers and take care of them very well. It's unfortunate that I do not feel the same from ebay.

Seems they don't care how anyone "feels"... they need money. In fact, the penalty was increased to 5% in this update. Nice, huh?

Sales are dropping so they increase fees- in typical eBay fashion, they're just refuse to be upfront about it.

And thats a huge problem. Lets be real Ebay can't tell in any given situation if the buyer or sellers is lying. Despite the perception Ebay likes to give that they "investigate", everyone knows theres really nothing anyone can do to tell whos being truthful. Its He said, she said.  

Thats the reality of online shopping. The HUGE problem with what Ebay does is they get involved and THEY make the decision, based on absolutely nothing. The real shady part comes with the 5% increase for those sellers that they deem have to many issues.

It would seem, the judge, jury and executioner has a VESTED FINANCIAL interest in finding in the buyers favor. This is not OK and is a system ripe for abuse by a company that is struggling to show profit from its core marketplace every quarter, and getting pummeled by the competition.

It should honestly be reported to the FTC. Its like a judge having a financial interest in deciding one way or the other. This should not fly!

Message 51 of 89
latest reply

guys ebay is still thousand times better than amazon, if you want to know what is value of seller than try amazon, amazon will ripped you out and behave with sellers like a slave, ebay has still better policy when its come to selling, the only problem is the CS, every day many sellers couldn't get or get wrong resolution due to untrained CS, its my personal experience, if you are sure you are right than call again CS and again and once you will find right person who can do analysis and give you resolution, some cs follow policies only and some follow policies and do analysis, everything is not cover in policy thats why cs is there.

The one thing Amazon has done right for years is they do not let thieves steal from them or their sellers. I sold a $2000- Macbook Pro on AZ, because only a fool would sell something like that on ebay. The seller complained there was something wrong with it and tried to return it, but they returned a phone book to an Amazon return center. My payment was released, the bad feedback removed, and the buyer was banned permanently on AZ. What would have happened to that on ebay, I would be out the laptop, the money, be given a defect, and the buyer would be praised by ebay.

Message 52 of 89
latest reply

@weschurch wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

I have a question about the seller metric. I just called customer service twice and was told that ebay will still be implementing the defect on sellers accounts in the event that a return is clearly opened incorrectly. I currently have 5 of these and am livid by this. All were closed out by ebay in my favor and all will go against my service metric. I thought in the spring update "When we find that a buyer violated the policy, we will remove any feedback and defects, including opened cases in service metrics." means that ebay will be able to remove those from the metric. But customer service says contrary and that they are interpreting it as only cases where there is a bigger investigation as in a buyer getting kicked off for abusing the system, not just opening up an item not described case. Can you please clarify this as this will determine if I will continue selling on ebay or jump ship as this is not something I can willingly stand behind. I am a wonderful seller and love my buyers and take care of them very well. It's unfortunate that I do not feel the same from ebay.

Seems they don't care how anyone "feels"... they need money. In fact, the penalty was increased to 5% in this update. Nice, huh?

Sales are dropping so they increase fees- in typical eBay fashion, they're just refuse to be upfront about it.

And thats a huge problem. Lets be real Ebay can't tell in any given situation if the buyer or sellers is lying. Despite the perception Ebay likes to give that they "investigate", everyone knows theres really nothing anyone can do to tell whos being truthful. Its He said, she said.  

Thats the reality of online shopping. The HUGE problem with what Ebay does is they get involved and THEY make the decision, based on absolutely nothing. The real shady part comes with the 5% increase for those sellers that they deem have to many issues.

It would seem, the judge, jury and executioner has a VESTED FINANCIAL interest in finding in the buyers favor. This is not OK and is a system ripe for abuse by a company that is struggling to show profit from its core marketplace every quarter, and getting pummeled by the competition.

It should honestly be reported to the FTC. Its like a judge having a financial interest in deciding one way or the other. This should not fly!

What this update says:

We will continue to do what we always did when investigating buyers returns. 

If we decide the return is warranted we have increased your penalty in seller metrics 1%

Hmmmmmm???

I wonder which side they will believe?  The side that siding with doesn't bring them any additional revenue or the side that potentially makes the an extra now 5%.

Message 53 of 89
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

Here is how they put it to another Seller that called in:

They will not remove a false not as described that is affecting your seller metric.. UNLESS. the remove the buyer and classify them as an abusive buyer... so basically,, all of the mistaken not as described returns that were incorrectly opened will still count against us.....I almost threw up in mouth when the rep put me on hold and came back with that response.... so um, basically, nothing has changed.

So unless Ebay decides at some point that the buyer is an abusive Buyer - NOTHING is going to change.  This is just more lip service from a company that is watching its sales continue to drop and even admits they have cut back on their marketing.  That is usually the start of the spiral downwards for most companies when they need to spend the money to increase sales but instead they cut back on expenses trying to show a larger profit for the shareholders and Wall Street.  What Ebay hid in all of this puffing is that the 4% penalty is going to increase to 5% and that the cap on FVF for anything under an Anchor store is going up to $350.  So Ebay is hoping that Sellers miss all of this while drooling over all the "protections" that Ebay is giving lip service to.

Bottom line is nothing is going to change other than Ebay is going to charge the Sellers more for the FALSE SNAD's all while giving them false hope that Ebay is actually going to do something about the abusive buyers.  Remember Ebay considers the Buyers their customers and feels that without them they would not exist, but that Sellers are nothing but NOISE and are a dime a dozen, so why would they ever do anything to cause a buyer to not be able to spend their money on Ebay??  Especially when they are already watching their Sales drop each quarter?

Nothing is going to change at Ebay until they have a new management team in place who understand the industry they are in, not just attorneys.

Message 54 of 89
latest reply

eBay used to actually mediate / investigate disagreements and, yeah, would sometimes come down on the sellers side.  This was way back, like the late 90s / early 2000s.  If a buyer refused to pay for an item, they got a strike.   Three strikes and they were banned.  (Though a lot snuck back under new usernames.)

I don't think eBay will do something similar today.  I'm just saying . . . they could if they chose to.   And it would be so much easier to judge who was telling the truth now that people use electronic payments.  In the late 90s everyone was paying with money orders and personal checks.  People sent cash through the mail when they bought from overseas, for god's sake.

Message 55 of 89
latest reply

@sapphireseal wrote:

eBay used to actually mediate / investigate disagreements and, yeah, would sometimes come down on the sellers side.  This was way back, like the late 90s / early 2000s.  If a buyer refused to pay for an item, they got a strike.   Three strikes and they were banned.  (Though a lot snuck back under new usernames.)

I don't think eBay will do something similar today.  I'm just saying . . . they could if they chose to.   And it would be so much easier to judge who was telling the truth now that people use electronic payments.  In the late 90s everyone was paying with money orders and personal checks.  People sent cash through the mail when they bought from overseas, for god's sake.

There is only 1 way for the system to work and thats the way it was designed originally.

1. Allow sellers to leave buyers feedback, and perhaps even show a buyer metric on how many returns the buyer has had, and give the seller the option to cancel if to many, without punishment.

2. allow sellers to set there own terms on returns. This is the way the world works. Buyers can decide if they want to "take the risk" on a seller that does not offer returns. Furthermore if buyers want unlimited returns, like Ebay states they do, they will shop those buyers anyway given incentive for other sellers to do the same. 

These 2 things pretty much would solve a good portion of this problem

Message 56 of 89
latest reply

I guess everyone else missed the part that said this:

"This summer, we will announce new seller protections that will be based on your track record and how we will protect you when you provide great service to buyers."

In other words, this so called expanded seller protection is not for everyone.  Mark my words, if you do not offer free returns for 60/90 days, free shipping, same or next day handling and whatever other nonsense eBay decides, when it comes time to call in that seller protection, you're going to be told you don't qualify.

This is just like how they did the whole "partial refunds for damaged returns, but only if you offer free returns" thing. Everyone else be damned.

Message 57 of 89
latest reply

Well it`s a start" we will have to see what actually happens in these cases? will Ebay side with the buyer as they have been doing in the past? If a seller elects to write in there listings Sale is Final and returns are not accepted " Ebay needs to stay out of it, PERIOD! if the buyer has a problem with it they can look elsewhere!
Message 58 of 89
latest reply

I refuse to pay ebay 5% more, period. If I fall into that threshold I'll just close my store. So ebay will actually be out $15,000 a year versus an additional $5,000 or so I'd be out if I was put in that category. And what they are failing to see is that almost all sellers are buyers, but most buyers are not sellers. Along with all these sellers fleeing are also their buying ability.
Message 59 of 89
latest reply

1. Allow sellers to leave buyers feedback, and perhaps even show a buyer metric on how many returns the buyer has had, and give the seller the option to cancel if to many, without punishment.

This is not going to happen ever, never, ever.  I would not shop at any site, physical or ecommerce, that posted ratings about buyers.

I don't know why people keep bringing this up as some kind of viable policy.

2. allow sellers to set there own terms on returns. This is the way the world works.

Yep, a seller can do that on the seller's own site or in the seller's b&m store.  Oh sure, go tell Amazon, etsy or anywhere else that the seller demands to set her/his own terms or she/he won't sell there.  Try not to let the door hit ya on the way out.   

The way the world works?  Where ?

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 60 of 89
latest reply