cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should eBay add Year and Season as search filters for fashion products?

I was thinking, to help buyers better find fashion items, I would think Year and Season would be good search filters to add.  The default categories for Season (going by standard fashion calendars) should be Spring/Summer, High Summer, Pre-Fall, Fall/Winter, Holiday/Christmas, Resort/Cruise, and Seasonless/Core.  In addition, users should be able to enter a custom season for brands with more seasons (common with fast fashion brands), and would show up as "Other" as a filter on search results.

What does anyone here think about this idea?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

@fairytalepink wrote:

What does anyone here think about this idea?

I think that if eBay offers "Holiday/Christmas" as a search criteria for fashion, at Christmas time every single fashion item will have "Holiday/Christmas" selected as a search criteria 🙂

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

A simpler version might not be bad

Fall/winter

Spring/summer

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

I think that's a great idea, actually.  It would make things a lot easier for buyers who are shopping for a seasonal wardrobe, for clothes to take on vacation, etc.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

Well, many premium and luxury brands have more collections per year than the two primary collections, especially in their women's lines. Resort/Cruise is very common with higher end women's brands, and is typically sold from November-January and is targeted towards wealthy vacationers who want to go to a warm climate for the winter. Pre-Fall is typically sold May-July, and compared to true Fall/Winter collections, is generally more lightweight while using similar colors. Holiday/Christmas is actually more common with menswear than womenswear and is for holiday-themed clothes. High Summer isn't too common, but is often more swimwear focused than Spring/Summer. Also, many brands offer certain core products that are available year-round, hence the reason for a Seasonless/Core category.

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

I was thinking, to help buyers better find fashion items, I would think Year and Season would be good search filters to add.

I would not find it useful, but other's might.  I live in south Florida where our wardrobe is basically the same all year round.  Our seasons are typically:

hurricane season

rainy season

tourist season

lovebug season

pollen season

Message 6 of 26
latest reply

Still, that doesn't stop fashion companies from their calendar, and most do not produce region-specific collections.  I live in the Phoenix area of Arizona and stores here do get the Fall/Winter collections, although exact products carried by stores varies from year to year.  I know the local JCPenney stores did not get the pullover fleeces from IZOD's Fall/Winter 2017 collection, but did for Fall/Winter 2018.

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

It might be left up to too much Interpretation on what belongs in what season. Especially if whatever season it currently is would be where most sellers would want their items to show up in, flooding that search. I think all the fashion savvy buyers aware of all the micro seasons beyond spring/summer & fall/winter are probably coming to ebay looking for something specific and would search by keywords. 

Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

I think that's a great idea, actually.  It would make things a lot easier for buyers who are shopping for a seasonal wardrobe, for clothes to take on vacation, etc.

Agreed, and the OP just so happens to have a smashing fashion sense.

Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@ittybitnot wrote:

I was thinking, to help buyers better find fashion items, I would think Year and Season would be good search filters to add.

I would not find it useful, but other's might.  I live in south Florida where our wardrobe is basically the same all year round.  Our seasons are typically:

hurricane season

rainy season

tourist season

lovebug season

pollen season

I saw your season list before I read the beginning of your post and KNEW you lived in S. Florida.  LOL

Message 10 of 26
latest reply

In many categories, the seller can add special points to Item Specifics.
I don't sell clothing, but for sewing patterns I will make a Specific for Maternity, Plus, Wardrobe, and Multiple Sizes.

And in Books I make Ace Double an Item Specific for collectors of those cheap pulps.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Well, the pink IZOD shirt I recently sold was listed since the holidays, but was a Spring/Summer item. IZOD typically starts selling the first Spring/Summer products in November the prior year, and that doesn't really hurt their sales. Fall/Winter starts selling either in late May or early June.

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

@fairytalepink wrote:

Well, the pink IZOD shirt I recently sold was listed since the holidays, but was a Spring/Summer item. IZOD typically starts selling the first Spring/Summer products in November the prior year, and that doesn't really hurt their sales. Fall/Winter starts selling either in late May or early June.

Wait !  You left out 4 more categories.

I got two emails from Neiman Marcus today, one for Men's Pre-Fall Gucci and one for Women's Pre-Fall Gucci.  So, get those Pre- filters in there, too.   wink

To be serious (who, me ?), I'd rather see ebay fix some of the clothing specifics that already exist instead of adding more and most likely screwing them up while doing so.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

Well, IZOD doesn't have a Pre-Fall or Resort/Cruise collection; that is more common with premium and luxury womenswear, but there are a lot of sellers on eBay who sell such products, so it would be useful for such sellers.  Collections offered vary by brand and gender, so eBay should be as inclusive as possible.  IZOD used to have Summer (which could potentially be placed under "High Summer" under my categories) separate from Spring and a separate Holiday collection, but those were consolidated with the Spring and Fall collections, respectively.

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

IZOD shirts are most likely thought of as a basic. With either short or long sleeves, A sold or plaid/stripe pattern. I would also think that it is a specific customer who would be looking for that type of shirt and would be searching for the brand name. I don't know what other types of items you sell so can only go by the one pink shirt that you often reference.

Message 15 of 26
latest reply