eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop Deals
carkeysue
Community Member

Slow sales

Does anyone know why sales are so low on eBay?  This is the worst I have ever experienced.  I rely on eBay to supplement my income and no one is looking or watching nearly as much as usual and they certainly aren't buying.  Any ideas, suggestions?

Please use plain text.
pantlandia
Community Member

Re: Slow sales

in reply to carkeysue

Lots of sellers, not enough eyes.

Please use plain text.
mintrobmint
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

It is slow...but what alot of sellers are starting to realize is that if you do not provide 1 day handling, 14 day return policy minimum....then your listings have dropped way down to the bottom pages of no mans land! You provide neither of the 2.

Cassini search engine & placement is in 75% effect and people are noticing! If you cannot stay afloat with what eBay wants..you will soon sell nothing again.

Please use plain text.
vasox
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

Minty,

Keep it simple....;-)

Just say " It's Ebay's  ball field play by their rules or you will never be put in to to play" B-)

Or have you heard the new hit song " My auctions are sitting the bench and I got the no money blues"

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
Please use plain text.
bronx-dog
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

I'm doin my duty... I'm Buying. ;\

Please use plain text.
lmang20
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

My sales are slow, but steady.  In truth I've been very, very lazy the last few weeks.  I just listed a ton of stuff so I hope this weekend is good.  Last year I noticed sales were good until about mid-June and then zippo until last August.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

I'm a COACH seller and I see ridiculously low sales on COACH listings.  Unless you have a super HOT selling hit bag- forget it.  I also thought about listing NIB Kenneth Cole men's shoes since the outlet near me is going out of business, but I noticed that absolutely NOTHING in Kenneth shoes is selling- not even dress shoes or trendy sneakers.  What the heck is going on.  I still buy just about everything I need here.  I also sell, but my listings often don't even get hits or watches anymore.  Or if I get watches, no one bids.  It's sad.  I thought April would be better.  Spring is supposed to stimulate buyers, right?  Geez.  I need Ebay to bring back buyers.  We sellers have caved into every demand...free shipping...no feedback for evil buyers...no consequences for evil buyers and yet, still no increase in activity.  Weird. Where are all the rich people in the world?? LOL

Please use plain text.
vasox
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

My sales are slow, but steady.  In truth I've been very, very lazy the last few weeks.  I just listed a ton of stuff so I hope this weekend is good.  Last year I noticed sales were good until about mid-June and then zippo until last August.

We call this the curse of the 3 J's in my house over the last 13 years we have been selling on here it has stayed the same. January June and July have always stank as far as selling.

January after Christmas sales are low due to holiday bills.

June and July schools out- vacation time for most and who wants to be behind a computer when you can go Fishing;-) or any other fun things you can do in the summer.

This trend has not changed in 13 years for us and I don't think it ever will.

We use that time to re-group ad relax and not stress over slow sales. Try it;-) you'll thank me later.

Nobody calls me Lebowski. You got the wrong guy. I'm the Dude, man.
Please use plain text.
blue-vintage
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

Sales do seem slow. I chalked it up to  April tax time. Also a good time to take advantage of good deals. Re:Coach bags, they will sell but not for that much unless you have certain styles. And I chalk that up to the fact that there are tons of them on ebay plus the fact that Coach now sells here too at a steep discount. Coach and many other Co.'s see their goods being exchanged here on a huge level and they want a piece of all the action they can get their greedy hands on. If an ebay buyer can get a brand new bag from Coach  at 50\60%  you can see why they would. If I list Coach it's usually vintage.

Please use plain text.
komokwa
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

I rely on eBay to supplement my income

Rely on yourself , not eBay.

Where are all the rich people in the world??

They buy from real auctions....not BIN auctions !

Who will save the river valley , that's my drinking water.! "Moxy Fruvous"
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

I have spent a lot of time lately surfing ebay looking for items to buy , over half the items for sale don't have the shipping info or options I want .So many items are overpriced . I understand handling fees but lots of sellers have a $5-$10 handling fee ,which no one is going to pay on a $5 item unless they really want that item. I watch items get relisted week after week with the price being increased each time it's listed , if someone didn't want your item at $5 chances are they really won't want it at $10.

As mentioned certain times of year sales dip but lots of sellers don't help their cause with their prices ,shipping options,lack of info , or by listing an item that there are already 50 of the same items already listed .

Lets hope we all get lucky today , 

I don't do normal.......
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

Yes, it is super slow for us too.  The worst month we have had in years.  The only thing I can tell is that the search results for Auction format listings have changed.  Best Match used to sort them primarily by time ending with the ones ending soonest on top.  Now they have auctions THAT HAVE BIDS and are ending soonest on top.  Auction listings with no bids are buried at the bottom even if they end in a few minutes. Im talking just auction format listings, not fixed price.  Anyone else notice this?  If so, when did this change?

Please use plain text.
giraffe_gift
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

I recently read an article about retail sales  (sorry I did not save the article so no reference) that stated April, May and June were the months with the LOWEST sales for all of retail sales in the US.

Believe you can and you're halfway there.
Theodore Roosevelt
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

I have no idea what the heck is happening....wish I did !!

Even the 'page views' have diminished. I have updated the returns policy AND offer free P&P, great item feedback, I just don't understand why things are so slow....DO YOU ????

Please use plain text.
theguitarpartsguy
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

Does anyone know why sales are so low on eBay?  This is the worst I have ever experienced.  I rely on eBay to supplement my income and no one is looking or watching nearly as much as usual and they certainly aren't buying.  Any ideas, suggestions?

There are those who are selling stuff here... my sales are about average to a little above lately, so not too bad.  As others have said, the new Cassini search engine has a bit to do with it, also, whether you offer returns and 1 day handling/turnaround time on shipping.  Free shipping helps, and it will help your DSR's because someone can't ding your shipping DSR rating if you ship free.  If you aren't at the very least matching those things with the people in your selling categories that are making sales, then you're shooting yourself in the foot before you start.  It's definitely not as simple as it was in the "good old days"....

Please use plain text.
janewt-1
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

I watch items get relisted week after week with the price being increased each time it's listed , if someone didn't want your item at $5 chances are they really won't want it at $10.

That sounds reasonable but isn't always true.  Two situations come immediately to mind.

1.  Walter Watcher sees an item he likes but that doesn't have bids.  He also holds off hoping the seller will relist it for less.  Relist and the price goes up.  Whoa, says Walter, I better buy the thing now before this nut case raises the price again.

2.  Charlie Cheaper lists a widget at $7.50 that usually sells for $15-$16.  Shirley Sceptic sees the $7.50 widget listing but decides if its that cheap, there must be a problem and buys from someone else who has it at $14.50.

#2 especially is probably fairly common.  I know if I'm looking for a thing for personal use, I often pass on the cheapest listing if it is much below the usual price.  If I'm buying to resell, I may take a chance on the cheap listing but knowing it may turn out to be junk that I won't even resell on here but will unload it at a yard sale or flea market.

Newt
“Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country and giving it to the rich people of a poor country”. Ron Paul
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to carkeysue

Here's your answer:

http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/hourly-compensation-u-employees-declines-most-since-1947-1850...

in reply to carkeysue

Hello.  Summer time is always a slow period but, I do find it frustrating when I post items that have NO competition & still do not get sales.  Also - maybe 2 other people will list the exact same item as I have posted & both sell.  However, eventually, when my item sits alone, I keep re-listing.  C'mon!  lol  This is when I wonder what is going on.  :smileytongue:  Good luck to all.  Cheers!  PS - Too many watchers- what is so **bleep** interesting if my item(s) are not selling?  haha

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to sakic92710

You cannot use the word that has a 'd' and an 'a' and an 'm' and an 'n' ?  lol

Please use plain text.
hondamedic
Community Member

in reply to sakic92710

sakic92710 wrote:

I keep re-listing.  

Welcome to The Part Timers Forum.

Do not use "re-list", use Sell Similar.

Hope this helps!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation

DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required

NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller....

SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.