eBay Community

THE ANSWER CENTER

The Answer Center is your place to ask fellow eBay Community members questions about buying and selling on eBay, and for you to share your best information, tips, and insights to help other members get answers to their own questions.

View All Questions

Choose a topic to view

Marketing Image for Answer Center Section

GROUPS

Groups are a great place to connect with other community members who share similar interests. Give support, share information, and connect with fellow members. Create or join a Group today!

CHOOSE A GROUP TO VIEW

Marketing image for Groups Section

Announcements

The latest news and updates affecting eBay buyers and sellers

Marketing Image for Announcements Section
Go Now

EBAY COMMUNITY POLICIES

Our policies are designed to create a safe and fair environment for all eBay members. Learning what’s allowed can help you avoid unintentionally breaking the rules and helps everyone in working with reliable, trustworthy members.

Marketing image for eBay Community Policies Section
Go Now
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

My Profile

Welcome!
PEOPLE YOU FOLLOW

Connect with Fellow eBay Community Members!
Register or Sign In Today!

eBay Cafe

I am disappointed about Amazon's, Wal-mart's, and Ebay's decision to remove items containing the Confederate Flag from items available for purchase on its site. I, first and foremost as an AMERICAN, and secondly as a black man, who also happens to be a veteran find it abhorrent that a company with quite possibly the largest customer base in the United States would ban an item that many hold close and dear to their hearts. As a Virginian, I recognize the role Virginia played in the Confederacy. As a student of history, I know and understand the reasons, that led to the Civil War. For those unaware, it was not fought over slavery, the freeing of slaves was a bi-product of the war. While slavery may have been a concern to the South due to its dependency on the practice for commerce, the North's hostilities against the South were not to free the slaves, but to hold together the Union. In other words, without secession due to the feeling that State rights were being violated, the North would not have fought to end slavery. Would slavery have ended. Most definitely, as it was ending in other developing nations. What most people do not have the ability to fathom in their minds is that every country has its growing pains as does any child. We live and grow in knowledge; and we improve. While I believe that that Louis Farrakhan is unpatriotic and in my opinion should go live elsewhere if he hates the United States so much; I think he may have a point......at least that would jive with what many people are saying today in regards to removing the confederate flag. American forefathers fought Great Britain under the American Flag as it existed then for essentially the right to administrate the colonies as they saw fit. Those of the South fought the North for the same reason.

What many people also miss is that there were plenty of blacks that served in the Confederate army. Many with the same promises that some blacks in the North served prior to the Emancipation Proclamation: the promise of freedom. Do you think slavery did not exist in Northern states? The difference was while it existed, the North wasn't as dependent on it as was the South. That's not to say it was right (for those of you thinking that I am justifying the bondage of my forefathers, I am simply stating fact). Therefore, it was easier for the North to take the approach it did on slaveholding. Again, as a student of history and with a little common sense I can understand this.

For all intents and purposes, the South existed as a sovereign nation for the period during with the Confederate States of America existed. It had a president and legislative body......and the Confederate Flag was its flag. Those weren't just the battle colors of the Confederacy. For those who respond that the secession was not legal, the decision that it was not legal did not come until after the civil war. Until then, the thought was that the states were independent yet united as one.

I have never been offended by the flag. Not while I was in high school, not while in the service, and not while driving around my home state of Virginia. To be offended by the flag is to exhibit ignorance of its true meaning and fall into the trap of fearing its use by those who later twisted its meaning in their attempts to continue to subjugate blacks. May I also add that those who have done so more often than not were representative of the democrat party. Now instead of subjugating us through fear and violence, it is done through forced dependency and constant false promises to not only blacks, but anyone attempting to climb out of the pits. You can make it....but only so far before they decide to take back. Anyway, those last couple of sentences are a rant for another day. I ask that anyone reading this take the time to truly understand your history. Whether you are black, white, hispanic, Asian, or something else, history is to be learned from and understood less it be repeated. Banning this flag is equivalent to censorship. Remember the book burnings. Are we trying to erase history. How can we determine that the Confederate Flag is bad because it was created in response to concerns in the past to States Rights, and therefore ban it. Yet, the same stores will sell shirts, posters, and other items with the likes of Che Guevara, Stalin, and others who not only were horrible individuals. Che hated blacks and Stalin killed tens of millions. Yet we focus on the use of a symbol born in not of ill will but twisted in to such to target our political correctness assaults.

Here is what I think should be done. Create a shirt with the Confederate Flag and American Flag crossed on the back. On the front, put two Union Soldiers and two Confederate Soldiers, one black one white for each. I'll rock that shirt. I admit, I am a conservative. BUT, I am also black. For those of you who think I have lost my focus; my only focus is to see our young men and women succeed in life....whether black, white, or any other race. I am an American. I think that ll parties involved in attempting to ban this flag are doing so either in ignorance or with ill intent.

http://www.theroot.com/articles/history/2015/01/black_confederates_not_a_myth_here_s_why.1.html
http://www.texasconfederateveterans.com/Black%20Confederates.htm
http://www.veteranstoday.com/2013/07/28/people-of-color-under-confederate-battle-flag-colors/
https://cwcrossroads.wordpress.com/2011/02/02/frederick-douglass-on-black-confederates-1861-a-research-exercise/
http://www.thecommentator.com/article/3657/che_guevara_was_no_hero_he_was_a_racist
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/michael-gonzalez/el-che-the-crass-marketin_b_1199252.html
http://news.stanford.edu/news/2010/september/naimark-stalin-genocide-092310.html
I think that all parties involved in attempting to ban the flag are acting in either ignorance or with ill intent.

For those who like to read, look for: Why I Wave the Confederate Flag, Written by a Black Man: The End of Niggerism and the Welfare State By Anthony Hervey

eBay Cafe discussion

Jun 28, 2015 6:04:22 PM PT

Why the Ban on the Confederate Flag

I have been told I can return for full refund. But not post office. So where do I go?

eBay Cafe discussion

My opinion is if eBay stops selling anything to do with the confederate flag then Malcom x NAACP MLK and black panthers should be banned also and if not then that will show who is racist

eBay Cafe discussion

We see who is racist now. Take down the confederate flag Dumb asses. And cant sell one on ebay now. What the hell

eBay Cafe discussion

Jun 29, 2015 12:19:48 PM PT

rebel flags..

I have been a seller on eBay since 2006. I sell from my home and just list items I no longer use or need. I do my best to give an accurate description including any flaws with as many pictures necessary for buyers to see what they are getting. In the past few sales I've had there has been problems. Buyers are very aware of ebays policies and are using them to get items for free. One recent experience was a purse I sold. It was new with tags and never been used. I listed it as such, including the measurements of the bag. The buyer complained the strap was not long enough for her so therefore she wanted a full refund. She refused to return the bag to me claiming she would not pay return shipping. In the dispute ebay gave her a full refund and let her keep the bag! Not that they could force her to mail it back to me! This is third such experience I've had. I did call ebays customer service and complained about the policies they have that screw the seller over. Of course it got me no where. There are quite a few buyers out there that have learned to get items free so beware. I will sell on Amazon from here on out.

eBay Cafe discussion

Jun 29, 2015 7:34:58 AM PT

Buyers Gaming the eBay system

I tried to sell one item on eBay with payment via PayPal.   As soon as the buyer received the item, she reversed the payment (so I am out over $100) AND eBay is charging me 10% of the transaction.     It's in dispute resolution which can take months without any sure result.

Never again.   This has been a completely horrible experience.

eBay Cafe discussion

New Message
Subject Author Kudos Replies Latest Post
This is a popular topic with new unread messages 816 470
This is a popular topic with new unread messages
5 10319
This is a topic with new unread messages 0 1
This is a topic with new unread messages 0 0
This is a popular topic with new unread messages 101 48
This is a topic with new unread messages 1 6