cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USPS Media Mail Option

When I originally listed a militaria booklet, I was not offered the "USPS Media Mail" option because it was only listed in the "militaria" category. So today I edited the post to include the 2nd category of "Books".  But I was still not offered the Media option. How do I get that option?

Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

Re: USPS Media Mail Option

@shephe_69 wrote:

When I originally listed a militaria booklet, I was not offered the "USPS Media Mail" option because it was only listed in the "militaria" category. So today I edited the post to include the 2nd category of "Books".  But I was still not offered the Media option. How do I get that option?

No idea. It is probably the fact that once category does not allow it.

When I have that issue I just put the shipping at a fixed rate and just buy the label at PayPal or USPS instead of on eBay.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

My postmaster very quietly told me that Media Mail is an inside joke at the USPS.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

LOL-meaning they don't check to see if there is really "media" in the package? 

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Meaning you save a few pennies in exchange for doubling or tripling the delivery time.  And that's if they don't tear open your shipment to check it.  Add another week and a dissatisfied buyer if that happens.

Message 5 of 18
latest reply

@shephe_69 wrote:

LOL-meaning they don't check to see if there is really "media" in the package? 

They do check.  And if you take it to the post office they may even question what’s in the package. I ship exclusively with media mail my post office is always asking what I’m mailing to be sure media mail is used properly.

And if you mail something that isn’t media mail and they catch it in transit. The seller gets charged for insufficient postage and is charged priority mail price when the seller buys online labels. 

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

@hartungcards wrote:

Meaning you save a few pennies in exchange for doubling or tripling the delivery time

My last 10 media mail packages were delivered in:

• 5 days
  • 5 days
  • 6 days
  • 3 days
  • 4 days
  • 7 days
  • 6 days
  • 4 days
  • 4 days
  • 3 days

Message 7 of 18
latest reply

@shephe_69 wrote:

It should be there on the listing form, regardless of category. But it probably won't be on the label purchase page because of the military category. If you can't find it on the listing form, click to see all options - or you can select a general "economy" shipping without specifying service and plug in the flat rate for MM based on package weight.

General info on shipping services you can't access through eBay label purchase page:

eBay allows sellers to offer a wide range of shipping services through their listings, but they don't offer every one of those services through their label purchase page.

A few examples include:
- Retail Ground (a retail service available exclusively at USPS retail locations)
- Media Mail (can only be purchased through eBay for select categories due to how much the service is abused. An item might qualify for MM even though eBay labels doesn't offer it for that category, but you can purchase it through any other online shipping provider that offers USPS or at the retail counter)
- eBay Standard Envelope has restrictions based on category and dollar amount so if the item doesn't qualify the seller that offered ESE will have to ship using another method like untracked with a postage stamp, or tracked with First Class Package.

The system will typically default to the first shipping option on the list (often Priority Flat Rate Envelope). You can purchase an alternate service through eBay, but if you want to purchase a label for the one designated on the listing then you can go to pirateship.com or to paypal.com/shipnow

Another time you'll see the shipping method default is when the listing is set up for First Class, but the buyer purchases multiples and exceeds the weight limit for FC. The system will default to another method, typically Priority Mail flat rate envelope.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

If you list in in "Books," you will be able to ship using USPS Media.  

Years ago, eBay made using media rates very tricky:  even if the item is clearly a book, if it is listed in a category other than "Books", the option for shipping via USPS Media is impossible.

But, as has been pointed out by others, you can still purchase USPS Media postage at PayPal or another shipping site -- or even at the post office itself, since there is no discount benefit.

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Make sure you review this policy @shephe_69 to avoid any potential violations on your account:

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/prohibited-restricted-items/military-items-policy?id=4342

The following items are not allowed:

• Items for military use only

I don't know if those booklets are allowed, but since they were issued to cadets exclusively, I'd say they're probably not allowed. We've seen a lot of military booklets get pulled over the years.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

Try switching the two categories, making Books the first category. Of course, this means that you may have to fill out the required item specifics again, this time for the new first category of Books. I don't know if this helps or not, but it may now give you the option to ship via Media Mail.

Your other option to solve all of this eBay tinkering and making decisions for you, is to stop using eBay's shipping/labeling system altogether. I did that almost 20 years ago when I was fed up with the unreliability, downtime, incompleteness, and clumsiness of eBay's shipping/labeling system -- in addition to the constant tinkering.

I went over to Stamps.com, where I have zero problems there and lets me make my own decisions for a reasonable $19 a month, and I can choose Media Mail if I want. It has automatic import of orders and automatic post-back of all the information needed by eBay, in addition to the option of automatic positive feedback for my customers. In addition to freedom of shipping, Stamps.com has quick answering of any phone calls by a reliable and knowledgeable US-based staff that speaks in understandable English. They also have the authority to solve most problems themselves, or pass the call along to those that can and do solve rare problems quickly. A free integrated scale, too.

There are also other shipping services available much better than eBay's. I will never go back to eBay's shipping/labeling service. Worth checking into.

Cheers, Duffy 

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

Thanks--I looked at the policy and assumed that since these booklets are 40+ years old, they had been replaced/updated by the Academy and are now considered history.  How would I know if eBay thinks they violate their policy?  Would they notify me, or just hide the listing from searches?

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Would have to be listed in Books alone; not with another 'category' that doesn't allow MM.

Also; once it's listed, editing it does NOT change the mailing type. 

You would need to end the listing, recreate it under 'books' only. Regardless if it's 'history' or not since 

a.) it's a book

b.) every book IS history. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Thanks for the great information.  I switched the first category to Books and I was finally offered Media Mail!

I'm relatively new to eBay selling and not sure I know the specifics of how to not use their shipping options as I have always used their options when listing an item.

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I actually just went into one of my Militaria listed books and changed the 1st category to Books and the second to Militaria and I was finally offered the Media Mail option. 

Message 15 of 18
latest reply