cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ebay stealing my money

Sold an item in 2017 for around 700$. They yanked money out of my PayPal in 2020 MARCH. I have been told a Manuel request to issue refund has been approved to have my money back after ebay support tried to justify why I should have my money back after wasting my time and making me wait 12 business days when they said 3. it has now been 26 days total and I still don't have my money back and eBay stuff just keep telling me to wait. So ebay is allowed to steal my money during a pandemic?

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: ebay stealing my money

Evening, 

Yes you are correct and originally I replied to the OP trying to clarify what it seemed he was saying and until they return we don't know.

Later on folks questioned me about how a 2 year delay in grabbing funds could happen and I answered those questions with an example, which is similar to what it appeared happened to the OP especially considering their feedback and only 3 current listings.

Would enjoy hearing more from the OP so folks here can give him the best advice possible.

Mr C

Message 46 of 70
latest reply

Pandemic or not, ebay simply steals.
Message 47 of 70
latest reply

Wow, this post makes me want to cancel the paypal account I have linked to eBay...
Anyhow my experience was a bit different. I sold an item within the last 3 months. The buyer paid credit card via paypal and I received the money immediately in my paypal. Later eBay refunded the buyer, but instead of coming out of my PayPal, eBay charged my credit card instead.
Seems like eBay is all sorts of mess with different standards and practices all over the place.
Message 48 of 70
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:
@josinstore wrote:

I do not have any credit cards attached to my paypal. There was no explanation why they took my money. I spoke with staff on the phone they said something like this is unheard of in her 5 years of working for ebay. They forwarded me to another department to talk about the charge and they said they would submit manual refund and would take 7-10 days to be approved then they. 10 days passed I contact eBay again they said they don't know why I haven't heard back yet and wait a little longer. I then get the email I attached above and then still 9 days after that I still don't have my money back.

We don't currently have phone help on Ebay.  How were you able to contact them by phone?

The email you got is odd too.  Ebay will typically address you by name.

A buyer with a purchase that old has no way to file a claim like this on Ebay.  This would have to be on the PP end and I'm not sure how that could even happen.

Are you sure you aren't just getting spoof email or have you verified that the money was removed from your PP account.  If it has, PP is who you need to be talking with.

@mam98031 

Re read the OP this started 26 days ago.

Called when it happened 26 days ago... we had phone support at the time.  Pretty sure we still had phones 14 days ago as well (12 days after he was told the money would be put back).  After that it would have been through the emails.

He blocked out the personal stuff  it would say "Good day So and So"  OP whited out the 'So and So' part, same way he whited out the case number, and the email addy.

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 49 of 70
latest reply

@andrew547 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

@josinstore wrote:

So ebay is allowed to steal my money during a pandemic?

Apparently, yes. 

REALLY?!?!?!?  2017.  No one can file a claim on Ebay that old, I don't care who you are.

I was just saying, if they did it, like the OP says, then apparently they can.  

Questioning something that was done to you, then saying "can the do that?"  Apparently, yes they can.    😃

We don't know that yet.  The OP has been unclear and hasn't given the details to make that determination.  There are many questions yet to be answered.  

@mam98031  It's not reasonable to assume every poster who posts something that doesn't make sense to you or your experience is wrong.

#statistics

You are absolutely correct.  However asking for more information is not assuming anything.  It is just trying to get more clarity.  But if you know of a way that a buyer can open a claim on Ebay 3 + years after the fact, please share.

I think this was something that was opened on the PP side, not Ebay.  But with the limited information it is really hard to tell what exactly is going on.  I'm sure if the OP chooses to share more they will.  Otherwise we may never know what exactly transpired for them.

Whatever it is, I sure hope it works out for them.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 50 of 70
latest reply

@thenobletuckylife wrote:

Evening,

This exact thing happened to someone that worked for me a couple of years ago.

They had a charge back and they owed PayPal well over $1000. They didn't have a backup source for PayPal to draw against since the debit card was no longer good.

So a couple of years ago they thought they would try to sell again and came to me crying cause PayPal took their money after not using the account for over 2 years thinking it would go away.

They were enraged that PayPal would do this to them, since the previous reversed sale "wasn't their fault" and they thought they had out smarted PayPal.

Mr C

Well not exactly what the OP is stating.  They have said that Ebay started this.  I"m thinking it is something more like you describe.  Not that it is right by any standard.  I just don't know how after so much time a buyer could do anything like that through Ebay.

Message 51 of 70
latest reply

I have sold on many platforms and have been continuously selling on eBay since 2017 too. From what I remember buyer didn't like the shoes and wanted to return I said no and forced one anyways. He paid for the label and then sent item back. But he put a different address (i know cause) tracking said it could not be delivered and it returned to him and I have never had that problem. He then escalated a claim he won. So I refund him on paypal and was forced to let him keep the item and case closed. Then if I remember on my eBay account they said I still have not refunded him and try to take money from me twice. But I already refunded him. So I contact ebay they said they will look into it. They said they canceled the request or whatever on ebay and reimburse me and said no rating from buyer will affect me and that case reverse is in my favor and that was the end of it.

Message 52 of 70
latest reply

@josinstore- If you refunded the buyer in 2017 then you can go into your PayPal account and find that transaction. Take a screenshot of it and e-mail it to eBay CS so they can reverse the charge on your account.

Message 53 of 70
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

But if you know of a way that a buyer can open a claim on Ebay 3 + years after the fact, please share.

I don't believe anybody here thinks that's what happened. Is there a reason you keep asking? Maybe I missed something.

Message 54 of 70
latest reply

I already had Ebay verify the PayPal transaction on the phone with eBay CS with the other department they transferred me to when it first happened. She said it will be proved in 7-10 business days. IT took 12. Then Another email they said 3-5 business days for it the shoe up on my PayPal. It has been another 2 weeks already since that email said I would get my money back. I ask eBay CS again last Friday they said please wait another 3-5 business days to get it back and no info. 

Message 55 of 70
latest reply

@josinstore wrote:

I ask eBay CS again last Friday they said please wait another 3-5 business days to get it back and no info. 

If you got a reply on Friday then today is business day 3. If you got a reply on Monday then today is business day 2. Wait until Monday the 13th and if it hasn't been processed then contact CS again.

Message 56 of 70
latest reply

I sent a follow-up reply to the email I got on last Friday like shortly after it was sent and still no reply though. I have no choice but to wait it seems. The timing couldn't have been worse as I had to send someone money on paypal and my money was just taken on the same exact day.

Message 57 of 70
latest reply

@josinstore wrote:

I have sold on many platforms and have been continuously selling on eBay since 2017 too. From what I remember buyer didn't like the shoes and wanted to return I said no and forced one anyways. He paid for the label and then sent item back. But he put a different address (i know cause) tracking said it could not be delivered and it returned to him and I have never had that problem. He then escalated a claim he won. So I refund him on paypal and was forced to let him keep the item and case closed. Then if I remember on my eBay account they said I still have not refunded him and try to take money from me twice. But I already refunded him. So I contact ebay they said they will look into it. They said they canceled the request or whatever on ebay and reimburse me and said no rating from buyer will affect me and that case reverse is in my favor and that was the end of it.

If you refund from the PP payment received from the buyer, Ebay can't come in and process a second refund as there is no money left on that transaction.  So PP wouldn't allow it.  But if the seller decides to send the buyer money back without doing it from the original PP transaction, they leave themselves wide open for this happening.  A second refund.  ALWAYS and ONLY refund from the original PP transaction.

Message 58 of 70
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

But if you know of a way that a buyer can open a claim on Ebay 3 + years after the fact, please share.

I don't believe anybody here thinks that's what happened. Is there a reason you keep asking? Maybe I missed something.

Because it is what the OP said.  So clearly if you just look at the title, they feel Ebay is at fault.  I don't speak for anyone but myself.  I don't think it is unreasonable to ask the OP why they believe Ebay did this or even how a buyer could accomplish that after this much time.

Message 59 of 70
latest reply

The first refund was reflected on the ebay transaction but they still asked for me to reimburse ebay. So why would I need to reimburse ebay when I had automatically sent the refund back? 

I have been selling for years. I don't know why they wait until now to take money from me when they said 3 years I had nothing to worry about. They have said multiple times I will get my money back yet I do not have it back. 

Message 60 of 70
latest reply