cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

tracking was NOT helpful

An upset customer wanted to know where her package was; tracking said delivered to her mailbox 5 days ago. She reacted poorly to my suggestion  that she talk to her carrier.  She got up in my face about how it was all my fault. 

Then this morning I checked the tracking on ebay again and it said the package had gone back out to a sorting center, then BACK to her town and delivered 7:30am today. 

I called the local P.O. and they checked around and the package is still there, but will be delivered later today. 

What good is tracking when it's so bolloxed up? 

I'm prepared for a neg from this irate customer who seems to think I should have hand-delivered the package myself. Or, something. 

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

tracking was NOT helpful

She has 2 FB points so either a newbie or someone who got a new account recently.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

I don't see how her feedback count has any connection to the USPS messing up on the tracking. 

When you say it was supposedly delivered 5 days ago, was that actually the day you mailed it? It's unfortunately a common USPS goofup with hand-held scanners at Acceptance time: they scan your newly-acquired package as Delivered by mistake, instead of Accepted, and then any buyer watching the tracking on-line has a meltdown. Perhaps that happened in your case...?

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

It's very frustrating when this happens. Most of the time, I tell the buyer that everything is OK, and they are in good hands. if the item doesnt turn up within a week, we can take it up through ebay and we will both be protected. All of that is true, and i would say, only 1 time, the item didnt turn up, and we had to take it up through opening a case through ebay.

The customer just wanted their package, they hopefully wont leave you a neg.

Everybody wants to be a beast, until it's time to do what beasts do.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

@a_c_green wrote:

I don't see how her feedback count has any connection to the USPS messing up on the tracking. 

When you say it was supposedly delivered 5 days ago, was that actually the day you mailed it? It's unfortunately a common USPS goofup with hand-held scanners at Acceptance time: they scan your newly-acquired package as Delivered by mistake, instead of Accepted, and then any buyer watching the tracking on-line has a meltdown. Perhaps that happened in your case...?

I just meant that if she is that new to ebay she probably isn't used to how long media mail takes. The delivery scan of 5 days ago was about 3 days after I mailed it. 

She didn't check the tracking herself but in this case it wouldn't have helped because it showed delivered and she never saw it. 

What rattled me was her aggression. Apparently I didn't know what to say to calm her down. I didn't think checking with her carrier was too much to ask but maybe I should have just said I would do it. 

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

In my experience, you don't try to calm them down and you don't offer any explainations, you offer them something that appears to be a working solution.

I am finishing up one now...... https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction_input?qtc_tLabels1=9500112391037270123150

Hit the see more to see how bad it is.

Of course the buyer is unhappy and filed a case.  I told them that I would check with the PO and see what was happening,  the PO can not see any reason for the problem.  Every few days  would check a different outlet and report.   I got it back over the weekend - even though tracking right now says it's in the PO, and immediately asked the buyer what to do about it,normally she was quick to respond to my reports, now nothing.  As long as I communicated with her, she was a lot less angry and was willing to work it out.

If I do not hear from her by the time I make my regular PO trip, I'll refund the original payment.  It is only $11.

I have discovered that in most cases, the more irate the buyer is after the first communication about their problem, the scammier they are and the anger is hoping that their seller doesn't like confrontation and will just refund to make the problem go away.

(*Bleep*)
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

In my experience 90% of customers with an issue react favorably to my immediate responses to their messages and my attempts to make things right. Immediately refunding when the tracking shows delivered is not one of those times, not until some checking has been done. For example if the carrier says they actually put the package somewhere on the property and the buyer didn't check that spot. 

But I guess this was just the 10% of the customers who find my responses maddening because I didn't just refund. There may have been any number of things I might have said to mollify her, but I really didn't feel like I was being out of line. 

Anyway...just one of the fun things about mailorder.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

I purchased something two weeks ago. It did a circuit between two distribution centers three times before arriving at my PO Box.  Hmmm. I have no idea. 

Distribution to PO Box in Progress

2017-10-28, 08:43:00, MASSENA, NY 13662

Available for Pickup

2017-10-28, 08:40:00, MASSENA, NY 13662

Sorting Complete

2017-10-28, 08:33:00, MASSENA, NY 13662

Arrived at Post Office

2017-10-28, 08:13:00, MASSENA, NY 13662

Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility

2017-10-27, 00:17:00, JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

2017-10-26, 21:18:00, JACKSONVILLE FL NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

In Transit to Destination

2017-10-26, 09:36:00, On its way to MASSENA, NY 13662

2017-10-25, 09:36:00, On its way to MASSENA, NY 13662

2017-10-24, 09:36:00, On its way to MASSENA, NY 13662

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2017-10-23, 16:30:00, PITTSBURGH PA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Departed USPS Facility

2017-10-23, 15:40:00, CORAOPOLIS, PA 15108

2017-10-23, 09:54:00, On its way to MASSENA, NY 13662

Departed USPS Regional Facility

2017-10-22, 09:54:00, MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

2017-10-22, 02:40:00, MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility

2017-10-21, 01:50:00, OPA LOCKA FL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Accepted at USPS Origin Facility

2017-10-21, 00:35:00, MIAMI, FL 33132

Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending

2017-10-20, 17:02:00, MIAMI, FL 33132

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

Keep her messages.  If she posts that neg, you can call CS and try to get it removed as it was something beyond your control.  Something not included in the listing.

I say, try, because the rep may not see it that way, and you might have to call multiple times.  Maybe ask for a supervisor.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

I don't like when buyers matterafactly act like it's anyone but the USPS's fault only an idiot or a scammer would suggest it wasn't a USPS issue and get mad at a seller over it.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

Common sense, which has left the planet, would indicate the seller had nothing to do with that issue.

Even a new buyer should see that the seller did not do this.

Op, sorry you had to deal with this.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

After I emailed her to report my call to the local PO I got a terse response which might have been either a cloddish way to acknowlege my attempt to help (no thanks though) or a passive-agressive preemptive strike in case it doesn't arrive today. Previously though she said her carrier is stellar (ie: I'm not) so if she's right all should be well in $7 book land! Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

Duplicate this for me about forty times this month. Makes us all look like idiots. And USPS could care less. Maybe we have to stop using packaging that says eBay, the post offfice seem to be singling us out. What would Ebay think about that? Hello?? EBAY??? Yu Thair?
Here's my stock reply... Please contact post office. I have no inside info. My guess is wait a couple more days. I have more if it's lost.
Insert cheesy signature line here

USPS - Charging headlong into the 1950's!
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

Hi, I also have had a package stop tracking at a distribution site now have another one at the same site. This is what I do ,I follow my customers tracking and let them know that I am still here for them by providing information I see in the tracking information . Let them know your package per tracking information is scheduled to be delivered at such time if you do not receive it by the next day please contact me so I can follow up myself and see what is happening . It assures them that you have not forgotten them and don't see tham as just a $ in my pocket . Everyday for a week I had contact with my customer and let him know I was on it that I contacted my postmaster and she was sending an email to the last point of tracking distribution center to please give her a few days to allow someone to contact her back . Then I let him know that she contacted me back with a uncertain answer of where the package is . I at that point Google's the phone # for the distribution center and called there . Asked to have their postmaster call me regarding a missing package . I got that call the next day all along letting the customer know what I was doing and my findings . The postmaster could not find any information himself either but knows the last point was his center. He would look further into it but at this time with the virus they have different people on routes etc. Of course I'm not going to blow up at the man and put demands on them ,make your postmasters your friend. I reached back out to the customer with this info and he asked well do you think I should just have you cancel the order ? I told him that is up to him but I would give the last findings a few days to see if the postmaster will be able to do anything himself by opening a claim with me and the USPS for lost package . He didn't want to wait any longer and he opened up a case as I suggested he do that I had gone as far up the chain that I could ,I was good with that if he didn't want to give a few more days . I immediately sent him a full refund . And on his claim with eBay he let them know that I went above and beyond to him help him ,etc. Low and behold 3 days later after the postmaster opened a claim the package was found and delivered to my customer . Now I have an open claim , money out of my pocket and I don't have the product now what . Long story short the customer still wanted the package and wanted my address so he could send me the money back . Explained to him what I had to do to stay within eBay policies no sales outside of their platform . Told the customer I would have to put the plate back in my inventory and he would have to repurchase it as soon as I sent him the message that it was back in my store for the exact amount of the return including the original shipping . He did as I asked ,printed out a shipping label to take make the sale final and put it on a empty envelope and mail it . Everyone was happy . Now I'm going through this with the same distribution center with a different customer and I'm doing the same process . Communication is key . Ask your customer under circumstances out of your control , (one I would not have TOLD her to check with her carrier because they have different people on others routes right now due to the virus ,but just ask her if she could under the circumstances take her neg review off of your store or listing . The most she will say is yes or no . If she says no ask eBay if they can review the neg feedback and see if they can lift the comments off . Unfortunately the neg and percentage on your rating will still have that mark on for a short period of time .  You may not enjoy my thoughts or agree with my business practices but I would appreciate someone going the extra mile and save me as a customer the leg work and hassle . Sometimes you can only do what you can do . And eBay is not able to talk to a person right now , so just do and say what you as a customer would hope to get if you were in their shoes. 

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

tracking was NOT helpful

Hello Everyone,

Due to the age of the thread, it has been closed to further replies.  Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thanks for understanding!

Message 15 of 15
latest reply