cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you do about buyers with a history of leaving negative feedback

Is there anything a seller can do about a buyer that has a history of leaving negative feedback for a specific type of product? In this case, Tommy Hilfiger Aloha, Hawaiian Shirts.  I checked the buyers feedback left for others and he seems to only leave “Fake” … “Not Genuine” negative feedback for this specific type of item.  For what it’s worth, the shirt I sold him is authentic.

I have done all of the things I should do…. Requested feedback removal, blocked the buyer, reported the buyer for a false claim, tried to contact the buyer with no success etc. Even contacted CS… that was a joke…

Anyway, I was denied feedback removal which I expected and received this response from eBay “To keep the feedback system as open and honest as possible, we only remove feedback in a few, very limited cases.”  Somewhat of an oxymoron since buyers can only receive positive feedback…. That’s for another discussion.

Message 1 of 32
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: What do you do about buyers with a history of leaving negative feedback

@ci1000 wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you   I've pretty much done everything I can do..... Filed a request to remove the negative feedback.... filed again and haven't heard back, it's been 6 days.... spoke with customer support and they said that the decision of the original request , which was a negative, is all that counts and the second request is not valid.  As I said before, this post is about  buyers who have a history of leaving negative feedback.  So far, it doesn't seem like there is much anybody can do...

Hey @ci1000 thanks for the tag.  We take buyer abuse very seriously, and I can assure you that every report is reviewed.  Actions we take against them can range from a warning, all the way up to suspending their activity on eBay.  Of course for security reasons we can't discuss what actions we may take against any particular buyer.  It is also important to remember that many of these actions are not visible to the general public, meaning that if they have a warning or a short term restriction of some sort, it will appear to anyone else that nothing has happened.  However if they are permanently suspended, their account will say they are "No longer a registered user".

Kyle,
eBay

View Best Answer in original post

Message 31 of 32
latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Did the buyer open an item not as described case?

Message 2 of 32
latest reply

@ci1000 wrote:

<snip> I have done all of the things I should do…. Requested feedback removal, blocked the buyer, reported the buyer for a false claim, tried to contact the buyer with no success etc. Even contacted CS… that was a joke… <snip>

You've done all you can do. Feedback comments are a buyer's opinion, whether or not it is correct. You'll just have to move away from this even though it stings at the moment. Concentrate on selling and this will fall to your second page where it won't be as visible. Best of luck to you....

Message 3 of 32
latest reply

No he did not.  He bought the item in June, 2023 and then left negative feedback...

Message 4 of 32
latest reply

I understand where you are coming from in regards to playing by eBay rules.  This post is NOT about whether or not this is a correct decision on eBay's part.... nor whether or not I should move on.

Since you brought up the subject in regards to "opinions"  My question for you is, when does an opinion become an accusation of fraud?

OPINION: a belief based on experience and on certain facts but not amounting to sure knowledge.

ACCUSATION:  A claim that someone has done something wrong or illegal. A charge that someone has committed a fault or crime.

Message 5 of 32
latest reply

I am dealing with a buyer who has not left me bad feedback yet and hopefully won't. But she has left 7 seemingly irrational Negs for her past 25 transactions. A few neutrals as well. I dont think I have that many Negs in 18 years of being on Ebay! The only thing you can do is reply to their feedback. You can also leave the buyer positive feedback warning sellers of the buyer. Against the rules, but if they won't protect an honest seller, I say do what you need to do. 

Message 6 of 32
latest reply

@skate_man1000  I hope you don't receive an irrational neg.  I think the point I'm trying to make here is that there are buyers out there that have a history of leaving false negatives.  The guy I'm talking about just left  a negative for a another seller today and eBay does nothing to stop the abuse... very sad!

One more thing here... I did reply to their feedback... what really bothers me is that when potential buyers look at my items, with the NEW IMPROVED listing view.... they only see the negative feedback NOT by response.

Message 7 of 32
latest reply

@ci1000  it is not right that buyers can do this but there is no way for sellers to protect themselves from buyers like this.

Do not leave a positive FB warning.. it can come back to bite you.

Block the buyer so they can not buy from you again.

You could respond to the negative - buyer could have returned the item if they thought it was fake. Item it authentic and I would have accepted it back had buyer contacted me.

klhmdg  •  Volunteer Community Mentor
Message 8 of 32
latest reply

@klhmdgIt is very sad but true that sellers have no protection from buyers like this!  I did respond to the negative.... I never heard a word from the buyer about a problem until I received the negative feedback... I would have offered a return, I offer returns on everything I sell.

eBay does not protect us from this.... I am so sorry for the seller that just received a negative feedback from this buyer TODAY.  The point of this post it to bring attention to the buyers that are abusing eBay's feedback system.

devon@ebay

kyle@ebay

Message 9 of 32
latest reply

I see false negatives all the time. Youtube vlogger Crazeenydriver has done videos on it. As I said on another post, ebay likes the money coming in, not really worried about rules. I think it's the state of the world. People are angry and take it out on sellers because they think we are actual Ebay employees. I have seen petty Negs of "Package had too much tape. It was hard to open!" The same customer that would complain if not protected enough. You can't win sometimes. I think Covid and the resurgence now has brought alot of indoor dwellers to the platform. A different breed of buyer. Very vengeful, picky and unreasonable. 

Message 10 of 32
latest reply

What do you do about buyers with a history of leaving negative feedback?

Before they leave me feedback: Nothing.  Hope that all goes well.

After they leave me negative feedback: Assuming I feel I don't deserve it,

try to get ebay to remove it based on the buyers feedback history.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 11 of 32
latest reply

@ci1000 wrote:

I understand where you are coming from in regards to playing by eBay rules.  This post is NOT about whether or not this is a correct decision on eBay's part.... nor whether or not I should move on.

Since you brought up the subject in regards to "opinions"  My question for you is, when does an opinion become an accusation of fraud?

OPINION: a belief based on experience and on certain facts but not amounting to sure knowledge.

ACCUSATION:  A claim that someone has done something wrong or illegal. A charge that someone has committed a fault or crime.

This isn't a court of law, it is an online selling platform. That buyer wrote the following- Not authentic!!! Be aware!!!!  They wrote four words and it is completely their opinion. That buyer felt the shirt wasn't authentic, that was their opinion. It would be an accusation directly against you if they wrote that you specifically were selling imitation bogus or phony Hilfiger shirts. 

Now I am only answering the question which you directed at me. I am in agreement with you, I don't believe that buyer is correct. If you say they are writing this continuously, perhaps they are hoping sellers will refund them to remove the comments, I don't know. There are plenty of sellers who check feedback left for others from buyers sending offers and they will not accept offers from this person. That buyer doesn't realize they are harming themselves by leaving these comments so don't think they are in the clear. 

Also keep in mind when others see a negative they often read what the buyer wrote. The majority would disregard such a comment because most buyers know if the shirt was in fact bogus the buyer would have returned it, so they will continue to purchase from you. I understand your frustration. Best of luck to you....

Message 12 of 32
latest reply

I would have worded my reply to that FB very differently, but it's done.

From what you described in your OP, I'd send a DM to eBay on social and ask them to review the buyer's FB left for others for a "pattern of abuse" always claiming the same item is fake.

No idea if you have a way to prove the item is authentic, like an invoice, but if you do upload a photo to support your request.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 13 of 32
latest reply

Apparently your buyer only leaves negative feedback for sellers and it appears you've done all you could do to have that feedback removed. True or false it is still an opinion of the buyer and does not qualify for removal.

You commented on the feedback in a professional manor. That is all you can do.

Message 14 of 32
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

@ci1000 wrote:

This isn't a court of law, it is an online selling platform. That buyer wrote the following- Not authentic!!! Be aware!!!!  They wrote four words and it is completely their opinion. That buyer felt the shirt wasn't authentic, that was their opinion. It would be an accusation directly against you if they wrote that you specifically were selling imitation bogus or phony Hilfiger shirts. 

Now I am only answering the question which you directed at me. I am in agreement with you, I don't believe that buyer is correct. If you say they are writing this continuously, perhaps they are hoping sellers will refund them to remove the comments, I don't know. There are plenty of sellers who check feedback left for others from buyers sending offers and they will not accept offers from this person. That buyer doesn't realize they are harming themselves by leaving these comments so don't think they are in the clear. 

Also keep in mind when others see a negative they often read what the buyer wrote. The majority would disregard such a comment because most buyers know if the shirt was in fact bogus the buyer would have returned it, so they will continue to purchase from you. I understand your frustration. Best of luck to you....

they did not say they thought it was not authentic, they said it was not authentic.   

Message 15 of 32
latest reply