eBay
  • Daily Deals
  • Sell
  • Customer Support
  • Shop now
wamaam
Community Member

Global Shipping Program

Since opting in to the Global Shipping Program I have been bombarded with requests to remove import charges, change shipping prices, and even had a case opened through PayPal for an item lost after it made the trip to the Australian carrier.

What is eBay doing to educate the buyers of how the Global Shipping Program works?

What else is it planning on doing?

Something needs to be done to let buyers know that the seller is not in control of invoicing, or responsible for lost packages once they have arrived at the shipping center.

(By the way ... that PayPal case has been open for about a month now, even though my tracking shows the item arrived at the shipping center, and the shipping center tracking ends at some place along the line in Australia before delivery... this is also unacceptable).

I have drawn up a template so that I can answer people who ask about changing the invoice, but it would be nice if there was something more official I could refer them to (they aren't reading the plan details ... something easier to read on an official eBay sub-page might work.)

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

Re: Global Shipping Program

in reply to wamaam

Shipping US $13.79  Import charges  $12.44 United Kingdom

This on a book to the UK.
Books are not subject to import charges in the UK. Even if they were the price of the book is below the tax threshold and it would not be taxed.

Your items look very unsuitable for the GSP, being mostly too low priced to incur import costs, and in the case of books, not taxable in the EU, at least.

Insurance is included for most auctions and should be visible as part of the shipping price. Due to eBay seller protection policies, we no longer will ship First Class International. Sorry!

Since the items are insured, why not send FCMI?

I really cannot see anyone not querying the GSP charges. I'd ditch it in favour of a more rational approach.

Otherwise you will continue to be plagued with queries and problems caused by this half baked system and the justifiable bemusement of potential customers unhappy enough to encounter it.

What happens to all the money collected on items that are not in fact taxable so there is in fact no tax due. Does eBay simply keep it? Certainly the sellers are the losers by it.

=============================================================
af," a reduntant, uneducated, diatribe spouting fool."
Please use plain text.
lvlr.lvlonicker
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

Certainly the sellers are the losers by it

.... or the seller is eBay's accomplice!  

Never ever would I buy from a seller who charges the inflated

GSP shipping rate - plus import taxes that are not even due!  

I had three purchases recently that I aborted before committing

to buy because of this dubious procedure. 

I kept the sellers informed and all three wrote back that they

understood well and will terminate this stupidity. 

Mr.Monicker

Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

I believe we can agree that offering Global Shipping is a bad idea if it increases the total cost to the buyer.

Is there still an objection if the total cost isn't increased significantly but a part of that cost is shown as taxes/duty/brokerage fee?

Assuming the Global Shipping rates don't increase, here the total cost for an item I have listed shipped to the UK (& no, it's not some special case)

with USPS Priority Mail shipping  $272.50

Priority Mail after Jan. 27th           $273.65

Global Shipping                           $279.13

As we determined earlier,  there is a significant saving to Australia

with USPS Priority Mail shipping  $279.95

Priority Mail after Jan. 27th           $278.25

Global Shipping                           $245,58

(interesting that USPS Priority International rates actually go down a few cents for certain price group weights)

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

What is eBay doing to educate the buyers of how the Global Shipping Program works?

What else is it planning on doing?

With all due respect, Ebay doesn‘t need to do anything to "educate" the buyers. The good buyers (the ones you presumably want to attract), are hitting the back button on your low-priced items because of all the inflated GSP fees. Your Charles Dickens book shows up with ah $12 shipping charge to Canada plus $3.34 in "tax" (on a non-taxable item, since it is under even Canada‘s ridiculously low threshold). Just like another poster above, I really wonder if any of this "tax" money is actually going to the Canadian government. I suspect none of it is.

Fortunately, none of my regular sellers has opted into this insane and ill-conceived program. The last time I found something I wanted to buy and the seller was using the GSP, I emailed him to let him know exactly why I wouldn‘t be buying the item I wanted from him. Most of what I buy is very light weight. While some of my purchases are quite expensive, it‘s been a very long time since I‘ve had anything stopped at customs for tax payment because my sellers are sensible enough to use first class mail and to insure what they can‘t afford to lose through u-pic or another similar program.

Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

I believe we can agree that offering Global Shipping is a bad idea if it increases the total cost to the buyer.

Is there still an objection if the total cost isn't increased significantly but a part of that cost is shown as taxes/duty/brokerage fee?

Assuming the Global Shipping rates don't increase, here the total cost for an item I have listed shipped to the UK (& no, it's not some special case)

with USPS Priority Mail shipping  $272.50

Priority Mail after Jan. 27th           $273.65

Global Shipping                           $279.13

As we determined earlier,  there is a significant saving to Australia

with USPS Priority Mail shipping  $279.95

Priority Mail after Jan. 27th           $278.25

Global Shipping                           $245,58

(interesting that USPS Priority International rates actually go down a few cents for certain price group weights)

Here's the Canadian rates for the same listing

with USPS Priority Mail shipping  $251.25

Priority Mail after Jan. 27th           $254.99

Global Shipping                           $251,79

All I'm saying is don't let the fact that there is tax & a brokerage fee collected up front blind you to the fact that it might be useful.

Canada & the UK are more or less a wash BUT if it's significantly cheaper to Australia, how can that be a bad thing for US sellers?

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

Canada & the UK are more or less a wash BUT if it's significantly cheaper to Australia, how can that be a bad thing for US sellers?

That's OK if you know your item will be bought by an Australian. Maybe it will be because the Canadian and British buyers stay away.

I don't think you can unplug your item from the program if the wrong country's buyer gets it.

So it can be bad for US sellers because of the lost markets, and I dare say that the example of really silly shipping costs on lighter and cheaper items will condition buyers to avoid all thought of the GSP and not consider the fine detail of every case and every seller.

Please use plain text.
kariandlarrysales
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

That's OK if you know your item will be bought by an Australian. Maybe it will be because the Canadian and British buyers stay away.

I don't think you can unplug your item from the program if the wrong country's buyer gets it.

So it can be bad for US sellers because of the lost markets, and I dare say that the example of really silly shipping costs on lighter and cheaper items will condition buyers to avoid all thought of the GSP and not consider the fine detail of every case and every seller.

You're correct, If you offer Global Shipping, that's the only shipping option to those countries in the program.

I still don't get it.

Just looking at the three countries, it's cheaper to Australia, it costs the same to Canada and will be cheaper after the rate increase while the total cost to the UK is about 3% higher.

I'd refund the 5 bucks and change to a UK buyer if it were an issue.

But it seems you're saying you'd rather the total shipping cost go to USPS  & Parcel Force before you'll let a penny go to the taxman even though you might still get a bill at delivery?

Sorry, don't understand the logic.

Please use plain text.
recped
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

I still don't get it.

One segment of sellers think GSP is great because eBay says so.

One segment of sellers think GSP is crap because eBay said it was good.

One TINY segment of sellers will actually study the matter and use when appropriate.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Please use plain text.
thebestprincesstoys
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

Many people are just waiting out and seeing what is coming out of this program. So far not many happy sellers. Not many buyers either.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

I certainly will NOT be buying from you if you use the Global Shipping Program.

It just adds a bunch of unjustified charges.

Please use plain text.
nonyn
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

Very good info here. Has anyone tried ending the auction and sending the buyer an invoice? I would like to try this. Also, what about international and just charging twenty dollars flat rate? It would give you some relief from the higher cost of shipping international. I have been doing well without and just have items that I thot would be useful all over the world. 

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

Remember you don't have to use this method of shipping on all your listing! Also, I think it is really geared toward getting new seller who do not ship international into the mix of things.

Also, the buyer will see the total cost of the item before buying, so if they're not happy they won't buy! So for a seller like me, that did not ship international, it has increase my sales. I also don't have to deal with any custom forms and I get full protection through the service! Just ship it to the processing hub and they take care of it from there.

Though I would hope that they will look at their fees and reduce them accordingly. Which they probably (hopefully) will once they figure out the system and open up to all sellers.

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller.... SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

So for a seller like me, that did not ship international, it has increase my sales. I also don't have to deal with any custom forms and I get full protection through the service! Just ship it to the processing hub and they take care of it from there.

Before the GSP, there was nothing stopping you except laziness and ignorance, in all honesty.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

Remember you don't have to use this method of shipping on all your listing! Also, I think it is really geared toward getting new seller who do not ship international into the mix of things.

The list of countries currently served by the Global Shipping Program is pretty short and pretty bizarre.  It contains a lot of countries that aren't going to figure too prominently in most sellers' international sales, such as Estonia, and omits countries that probably make up a fair number of international sales for many sellers, such as Germany and the Netherlands.

I think it's geared toward sellers of larger items or items that might be problematic to ship inexpensively through the postal service.

Also, the buyer will see the total cost of the item before buying, so if they're not happy they won't buy! So for a seller like me, that did not ship international, it has increase my sales. I also don't have to deal with any custom forms and I get full protection through the service! Just ship it to the processing hub and they take care of it from there.

I've no idea what you sell, but I've seen one seller's set of auctions that don't have import charges listed on them, despite his use of the GSP, and there are three negatives he's received that suggest that Canadian buyers have been charged for customs fees yet again upon receiving their items.

Customs forms, at least the ones issued through the post office, generally aren't brain-busters.  If anything, I would suggest to you that the work you put into preparing your items for the Global Shipping Center is comparable to that of filling out a customs form.

[/quote]

Please use plain text.
Community Member

Re: Re: Global Shipping Program

in reply to wamaam

I always wonder why some people feel the need to attack or respond negatively to posts, it really does seem to be a need of some people here. It's the same as some buyer that post some really reveling comments about shipping, items, or sellers! As for them I do a toolhaus(org) on them and if I find them to be of those that leave a ridiculous number of negative FB they go right on my BBL.

As I was saying that this program is only in it's infancy and yes I do agree the added cost would be a turn off to some foreign buyers. Specially when a low cost item would have lower or no custom fees to the buyer under normal shipping. That is why I said it appears worthwhile to a smaller seller that have nott shipped international. Being that a high volume seller could absorb the losses of not having any Sellers Protection. As I see some seller won't even ship to some countries because of issue with INR.

As for your comment "For those of us sellers who actually know what we're doing, that's exactly the problem." concerning my statement about foreign buyers that won't buy via the GSP, if the total price is too high. Again you speak nonsense, if your concern is to market your items to foreign buyer, good luck! I have a brick & mortar and really just use this site as others to market my own website. I include a business card with every order directing my buyers to my website and offer them a 20% discount on their first order placed through my website. All real sellers that know what they are doing, do this! 

That brings me to the point of your statement, "Before the GSP, there was nothing stopping you except laziness and ignorance, in all honesty." In all honesty you are mistaken, simply put, it has only been the Seller Protection that has stopped me. I have always ship to our service people, so filling out a custom form and bring it down to the P.O. is no work at all, so much for your laziness comment. As I have always consider it a honor to ship to our service people and disregard the loss of DC with them. Though technically you could contact the MPSA if you had an issue, they would track down the item in their mail service. Again, real seller know this facts. Though I have never had an issue with shipping APO, FPO or DPO. As some seller who won't even ship be on the lower 48. I have said to them, all U.S. zips are the same as are for APO, FPO, and DPO.

As for the statement "I would suggest to you that the work you put into preparing your items for the Global Shipping Center is comparable to that of filling out a customs form." There really is no difference in preparing or shipping your item normally. As I said, GSP does it all. Your item is listed as normal, when a foreign buyer goes to purchase the item it is shown to them with a total of your price & shipping fees, and also the international shipping and custom fees that GSP charges. That give them the total price they would pay. At that point they decided if it is worth it or not. If they decide to purchase, they pay GSP directly and GSP forwards your part of the sale to your account. All this is done without delay to you; you just see a purchase made and the payment from GSP. Then you print your label out normally, but it is addressed to the GSP Hub. When they get it they will place their shipping label over yours and ship it out to the buyer.

It is really that simple and as I said the "SELLING POINT" is the fact they provided a global tracking number and handle all claims. You have Sellers Protection with their DC. This is the only feature that makes it worthwhile!

As for the countries that they service, you are right they don't ship to all, YET! But I am sure as time progresses they will perhaps be adding more. This is the list of countries that GSP is available as of now.

Australia      Bulgaria       Canada        Cyprus        Czech Republic         Denmark

Estonia       Finland        Greece        Hungary              Latvia                Lithuania

Malta        Portugal      Romania      Slovakia            Slovenia           United Kingdom

As I have said, this is a good program for new sellers wanting to get there feet wet in the international market. Though I still believe that large volume seller that make a good margin and can absorb the losses of INR would not be interested in the program as it is now. But hopefully as time progresses they will at least fix their custom fees to match the actual country's fees. But again, that is neither here or there! If you do not ship international, which a lot of seller don't, then this is worth a try. It is of no cost to you as a seller and only can increase your sales. So if you are offered it, take it. You try it out on some of your listings, where it makes sense or you don't have to use it at all!

It is up to you as a seller!

BBL: Blocked Bidder List... BIN: Buy It Now... BO: Best Offer... BR: Bid Retraction... DC: Delivery Confirmation DSR: Detailed Seller Rating FB: Feedback FRB: Flat Rate Box FVF: Final Value Fee IPR: Immediate Payment Required NARU: Not A Registered User OP: Original Poster OT: Off Topic PM: Priority Mail.... PS: Power Seller.... SNAD: Significantly Not As Described...... TRS: Top Rated Seller...... UIA: Unpaid Item Assistant..... UID: Unpaid Item Dispute
Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

In all honesty you are mistaken, simply put, it has only been the Seller Protection that has stopped me

Ebay seller protection is so close to being totally worthless that it is no loss, since it only covers provable fraud, and the saving on shipping costs by ignoring it, some of which can go in your pocket rather than that of the Post Office, should more than cover any losses.

The system is entirely designed for US domestic use and is ineffective and over costly (if possible at all) for international shipping.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

I listed an item with this just to see how it would work. 

Item to be sent to Canada. This is what was shown.

Item $650

Ship  $34

Fee  $199

Needless to say the customer said he was not interested.

Luckily when I signed up I opted to choose when I wanted to use it. Unless I see something other than what I see here, I will not be using it.

Please use plain text.
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

In all honesty you are mistaken, simply put, it has only been the Seller Protection that has stopped me

Ebay seller protection is so close to being totally worthless that it is no loss, since it only covers provable fraud, and the saving on shipping costs by ignoring it, some of which can go in your pocket rather than that of the Post Office, should more than cover any losses.

The system is entirely designed for US domestic use and is ineffective and over costly (if possible at all) for international shipping. 

You misunderstood what I was saying about Seller Protection. But yes, you are correct that DC is close to being total worthless, except in INR cases. It has nothing to do with provable fraud, it's delivery confirmation! Once an item is delivered to a confirmed PayPal address you are protected against INR. Again, that's not to say a scam buyer could open a SNAD case, then send you back a box of rocks! But as I have said, I've sold 1000's of item domestically and also to our service persons and never have had any real problems. The few issues were with the P.O. and I guess I've been lucky they were all rectified! As I said DC doesn't expand to international shipping, so your open to international INR all the time. That is what I meant by saying, that is why I never bothered with international shipping on eBay. They are very buyer lopsided, when it comes to INRs. Shipping international can get rather expensive and when a buyer open a INR and you have no DC, you've had it!

Though, I'm not sure exactly, but I do believe the P.O. is now offering some sort of Global Tracking on International Shipping. I'm not sure about the costs or restriction, but they probably started it because of eBay's partnership with Pitney Bowes in the Global Shipping Program, lol! Which would be good, as competition drives prices down.

As I'll say again, the fact that GSP takes care of all the issues once your item arrives to there Hub and they provide the Global Tracking Number to the buyer, which provides Seller Protection from INR. It's a good deal for the small seller. If you are a large seller and have a real good margins, you can absorb the lost from international INR's.

But as I'll say again, for smaller seller that haven't gotten into the international market, it is a great way for you to do it.

It is up to you as a seller!

Please use plain text.
afantiques
Community Member

in reply to wamaam

That is what I meant by saying, that is why I never bothered with international shipping on eBay.

So insure your things sent overseas, (self insurance is best and cheapest) and a few INR claims, genuine or false, who cares, are covered.

The important thing is do extra sales and extra bids add up to more profits.

Well packaged correctly addressed stuff should arrive safely at least 99% of the time. My experience is of a much smaller loss rate than this. Nothing was ever sent bay anything but basic boring standard airmail with a boring description and a modest value.

Please use plain text.