cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I mixed up 2 orders and shipped to wrong buyers...

After selling on eBay since 1999, both my personal and business account, I finally did it. I mixed up 2 orders. Both gray colored clothing items, but I could swear I processed the first one before I even pulled the second one. Apparently not....

Well, I guess I have to ask both buyers to open INAD returns and hope they are understanding. This fiasco after a data crash in my accounting spreadsheet yesterday.

Just a rant, in preparation for my 2 potential red donuts.

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The other alternative is to reach out to the two buyers in advance and let them know of the error. If you have two honest buyers you could purchase a shipping label, suggest from Pirate Ship, and provide them to each of the buyers and have them ship the packages to each other. It would be faster, the buyers would simply exchange items and hopefully you would avoid the return and reship, and possibly the negative feedback. 

I made this error one time long ago and I used this approach and everything worked out exceptionally well. 

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

The other alternative is to reach out to the two buyers in advance and let them know of the error. If you have two honest buyers you could purchase a shipping label, suggest from Pirate Ship, and provide them to each of the buyers and have them ship the packages to each other.

I was made aware of this situation when one of the buyers sent me a message this morning, the other buyer I did proactively reach out to (their item was not delivered yet). I appreciate your input, I had considered that option, but I would then be hoping that 2 strangers work this out amongst themselves without any issues. I made the mistake, so I guess I will just own it and hope for the best. 

Honestly, thanks for the input, it's appreciated!

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Been there and i the feeling you get once you realized the mix up is not a feeling i wish upon anyone. I also have had two buyers forward there packages to the correct address (which they paid and i refunded on the sale) and it worked out in the end. (except for the profit but I did not care) Now both buyers ironically offered to help which helped me make that decision.  I don't know if i would approach a buyer i did not have a relationship with to jump through the hoops of forwarding it. Thankfully the other buyers i had were cool and it ended up working out good with feedback.

Good luck and sorry to hear what happened.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

A few months ago I did the wrong label thing and it is a horrible feeling.  Personally, I did not want to depend on the buyers to forward the item to the correct person.   I asked both to file a NAD, I paid the return shipping, and they both returned the item to me, I refunded and relisted.  One of my buyers was understanding and repurchased, the other one didn't, which is okay.   I figured two red donuts were in my future but fortunately, that didn't happen and I am grateful for that.

One thing I did do as soon as I found out about the switch was to profusely apologize to the buyers.  I told them that I wasn't sure how it happened but it did and I had no excuses; I just screwed up, I was so sorry, etc. etc.  The buyer who repurchased told me no problem, mistakes happen.  The other one I never heard from again but she didn't leave any feedback.    

Message 5 of 7
latest reply

We've done it too.  Most sellers of any volume (i.e. they have at least two shipments on the same day) have or will do it at some point.  Just be proactive with your customers and put on your best customer service hat, and you may yet avoid the negative feedback!  If not, just remember it won't kill you, and a professional reply can offset some of the damage (apologetic, promising to avoid it the next time, leaving all emotions out of it).

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

I did that once about 5 years ago...I think I just asked both buyers to initiate a return, supplied them with a return label and once I received the items back I reshipped them to the correct buyer. I was out the money for the shipping costs but it seemed to be the easiest way.  And a hard lesson learned! 

Message 7 of 7
latest reply