cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay's profits fell 29 percent in 2019 compared to the year before...

That should cheer up the stockholders. 🙂

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Re: EBay's profits fell 29 percent in 2019 compared to the year before...

@kathieskorner wrote:

And with the financial reports even with that in consideration active Ebay buyers grew by 2% to 183 million.

That is a meningless number since an active buyer by eBay's standards is one purchase in the past 12 months.  Besides  it is the international marketplace that is still growing not the US.   From the posts on this board - most of the long time sellers now struggling are here in the USA.  

Yes, you can find fault in most anything if you look hard enough.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 46 of 154
latest reply

@gramophone-georg wrote:

Personally, I would take your presentation quite seriously.

Unfortunately, since April 2008- 12 years now- eBay's message to sellers has been loud and clear:

YOU. ARE. MEANINGLESS.  Other than as resource to be abused, bled and exploited mercilessly, that is.

Foolhardy or not, that's the company philosophy. Two days ago marked my 20th anniversary on eBay with this ID- (I actually go back to late '97 on my previous one)- and I have to say I am just in AWE of the opportunities and incredible goodwill that eBay has spent the last 12 to 15 years tinkling away. Twenty years ago eBay was universally viewed with a positive excitement that's never been seen by any merchant before or since. 

What built it was eBay's partnership with the eBay Community of "Trading Partners" that today has been devolved by eBay into the Us v. Them death match of "Buyers" and "sellers" in order to sell "protection".

Gee, sounds like Cosa Nostra, doesn't it?

Early eBay was a very successful and unique coupling of what later became known as social media with ecommerce.  Heck, I even remember closing the sale on quite a few expensive collectibles in my B&M booth by suggesting I list it on eBay for the buyer to buy HERE so they could leave feedback for all the world to see!

Now we see the chickens coming home to roost after a decade plus of bad anti- seller policies and even worse site changes and micromanagement in the 2019 GMV figures. eBay's goose is cooked. The ONLY way they can continue to increase revenue is by fleecing you.

Other than exploiting sellers, this marketplace has never had a plan other that flinging dung against a wall to see what sticks- or what sellers are willing to eat. Exploit, exploit, exploit- and all in bad faith. If it were in GOOD faith policies would actually mean something.  Instead, policies seem to be decided on a case by case basis to maximize return for eBay at cost to their paying customers- sellers.

This has all been incredibly stupid and incredibly sad. Unfortunately it's now past the point of any going back.

I replied to this comment of yours earlier, mentioning how I am serious about the presentation because I actually had met with eBay in the past and gave them a presentation, and I would be glad to update it and do so again. Now that reply is gone???

Did anyone see that comment?

Is there a reason my comment seems to have been removed? 

Message 47 of 154
latest reply

Any one know how much StubHub contributed to eBay's numbers for 2019 as they won't have that crutch in 2020 to boost numbers?

Message 48 of 154
latest reply

@papermoneyforme wrote:

Any one know how much StubHub contributed to eBay's numbers for 2019 as they won't have that crutch in 2020 to boost numbers?

Ebay sold StubHub to Viagogo for 4 billion - however from my reading in the financial news Viagogo is struggling to find value in such a large investment as for them it was like the minnow swallowing the whale.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 49 of 154
latest reply

I don't think the Stub Hub deal has been finalized. It's always possible it won't be,although that seems unlikely.

These are figures from Q4 2018, but the overall percentages probably weren't very different in 2019:
" For the fourth quarter of 2018, StubHub had revenue of $314 million, up 2% year-over-year, on gross ticket sales of $1.41 billion (down 2%). EBay’s Classifieds platforms posted revenue of $263 million for the period, while its core Marketplace business generated $2.3 billion in revenue.

Keep in mind the investors and stock analysts are well aware of these figures, it isn't as if they will be shocked at ebay's overall lower revenues once StubHub is gone. eBay has always provided breakouts for the different business segments. What will be important to the stock market is the Marketplace revenue going forward. Selling off StubHub brings ebay a cash infusion and, in theory, allows management to focus on the Marketplace and Classifieds. And of course, selling off the Classifieds would bring in another cash infusion, and management could then focus solely on the Marketplace. The question then will be: will management focus on reviving the Marketplace, or on prepping it for sale?
Message 50 of 154
latest reply

For myself eBay's numbers mean little to me...it is my own numbers that count and are meaningful to me....

My eBay sales have steadily decreased since 2016 with those sales now being about 1/10th of what they were then...

and so far 0 sales for January 2020

and since I am not making anything from eBay anymore...eBay is making nothing from me anymore...

However, there is life after eBay...

C'est la vie...Que sera sera...

Message 51 of 154
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@4everctr wrote:

Ebay wants to increase their margin expansion or in other words raise fees on listings.   Too bad for you, Ebay.  I will not use promoted listings.   

While the financial reports are not what any of us wants to see, I get that.  It is disappointing at best, Ebay has not raised fees in a long time.  So that just isn't an issue at this point.

IMHO I'm surprised the 4Q didn't look worse than it did.  With the significant programming issues caused by Ebay updating Structured Data just as we entered the Holiday Season.  It set of a firestorm of issues for many sellers and it took Ebay well over a month to work out of.  

eBay did not raise direct fees. They raised fees indirectly however:

- Service metrics - indiscriminately applied to unlucky sellers who receive more return abuse than their peers. Penalty for being unlucky (or selling clothing or electronics) 55% increase in seller fees. 

- Sponsored Listings - If you don't use them you will get absolutely zero traffic. Average trending rate we see around 7%. This obviously varies by category. 

- Shipping price increases - Not eBay's fault, but it kinda is because they have a ridiculous contract and they don't pass on any savings to sellers. If you ship 50,000 priority packages in a year (contract) the discount is around 50%. We heard Amazon's UPS contract is 83% off retail. That gives you and idea of just how much eBay makes selling labels. 7% average across the board so far? How much discount is shared with sellers? Nothing. 

- Damaged reputation - Make no mistake. Once a company gets a reputation as a "melting ice cube" there's no recovering. Ask Sears & Roebuck. 

My understanding of the earnings call was this: We can't turn this thing around, so let's all just profit as much as we can while the ship sinks slowly over the next 5 - 10 years. 

Time to move on, nothing to see here....

Message 52 of 154
latest reply

I think part of the reason sales are down is because buyers in most states had to pay sales tax on ebay starting last year.   I've cut down my buying.

Message 53 of 154
latest reply

@bargainbigly wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@4everctr wrote:

Ebay wants to increase their margin expansion or in other words raise fees on listings.   Too bad for you, Ebay.  I will not use promoted listings.   

While the financial reports are not what any of us wants to see, I get that.  It is disappointing at best, Ebay has not raised fees in a long time.  So that just isn't an issue at this point.

IMHO I'm surprised the 4Q didn't look worse than it did.  With the significant programming issues caused by Ebay updating Structured Data just as we entered the Holiday Season.  It set of a firestorm of issues for many sellers and it took Ebay well over a month to work out of.  

eBay did not raise direct fees. They raised fees indirectly however:

- Service metrics - indiscriminately applied to unlucky sellers who receive more return abuse than their peers. Penalty for being unlucky (or selling clothing or electronics) 55% increase in seller fees. 

- Sponsored Listings - If you don't use them you will get absolutely zero traffic. Average trending rate we see around 7%. This obviously varies by category. 

- Shipping price increases - Not eBay's fault, but it kinda is because they have a ridiculous contract and they don't pass on any savings to sellers. If you ship 50,000 priority packages in a year (contract) the discount is around 50%. We heard Amazon's UPS contract is 83% off retail. That gives you and idea of just how much eBay makes selling labels. 7% average across the board so far? How much discount is shared with sellers? Nothing. 

- Damaged reputation - Make no mistake. Once a company gets a reputation as a "melting ice cube" there's no recovering. Ask Sears & Roebuck. 

My understanding of the earnings call was this: We can't turn this thing around, so let's all just profit as much as we can while the ship sinks slowly over the next 5 - 10 years. 

Time to move on, nothing to see here....

Then those posters that keep saying Ebay has raised fees need to stop saying that because it simply is NOT true.

Service Metrics affects a small percentage of sellers.  I don't like the program at all and I've been very vocal about that.  But penalty fee does not affect most sellers.  And this is NOT a new policy.  It is 2 years old.

Sponsored listings / Promoted listings is NOT a fee increase.  It is something a seller can decide to do or not.  It is OPTIONAL and the seller sets how much they are willing to pay for the use of this tool.

Because our vendor's raise pricing on us whether it is for shipping or the products we sell, we have to increase our pricing to cover the additional costs.  Yes, our FVFs to Ebay do increase, but it is NOT because Ebay has increased a fee, it is because we have to cover our costs as sellers and increase our pricing.  Now if this is something you don't like, it is completely your decision.  You don't have to raise your pricing.  You can leave it as it stands and take the additional costs from your profits currently set up in your pricing structure for the product.  A decision for each seller to make.

Message 54 of 154
latest reply

@academy2 wrote:

I think part of the reason sales are down is because buyers in most states had to pay sales tax on ebay starting last year.   I've cut down my buying.

You are aware @academy2 that Ebay is NOT the only site that now has to charge sales tax, right?  Going other like marketplaces will have the same issue for the buyer because of the laws THEIR STATE passed.

Message 55 of 154
latest reply

Other sites are irrelevant. We are discussing ebay. 2018-no tax on ebay 2019-tax on ebay
Message 56 of 154
latest reply

I'll have to say that my sales on Poshmark went abruptly downward the week Posh implemented marketplace sales taxes.  It does make a difference. It may be a difference that vanishes with time, but it's a contributing factor in a site where bargain is king such as Posh, eBay, etc.

And where are all these high prices on this site that people keep mentioning on this forum?  I keep seeing a race to the bottom.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 57 of 154
latest reply

@jojitsusensei wrote:
The stock performance does matter.
It reflects the buyer and seller activity. 

Stock price is influenced far more by profits than it is by buyer and seller activity on eBay. 

Gross Merchandise Volume (GMV)  is a vastly superior measure of buyer and seller activity, because it measures ....  buyer and seller activity. 

Message 58 of 154
latest reply

chapeau-noir,

What ebay said at the Conference Call is the effect should indeed decline over time. Buying from states that started Sales Tax in Jan 2019 have moved back to more normal buying levels as buyers adjusted to the new reality. I would expect that to be true on other platforms as well. It was especially noticeable with big ticket items....ebay was seeing more cart abandonment as buyers realized they were going to have to pay sales tax...

So, was it a factor in 2019? Yes. It will still be a factor in 2020, but its impact should decline as buyers adjust.
Message 59 of 154
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:
chapeau-noir,

What ebay said at the Conference Call is the effect should indeed decline over time. Buying from states that started Sales Tax in Jan 2019 have moved back to more normal buying levels as buyers adjusted to the new reality. I would expect that to be true on other platforms as well. It was especially noticeable with big ticket items....ebay was seeing more cart abandonment as buyers realized they were going to have to pay sales tax...

So, was it a factor in 2019? Yes. It will still be a factor in 2020, but its impact should decline as buyers adjust.

Yes, we get to a new normal.  And one way to mitigate any of that (for resellers like me at any rate) is to try not to sell something everyone else has, but somebody wants.

— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 60 of 154
latest reply