cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay's profits fell 29 percent in 2019 compared to the year before...

That should cheer up the stockholders. 🙂

Message 1 of 154
latest reply
153 REPLIES 153

Re: EBay's profits fell 29 percent in 2019 compared to the year before...

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@hioctane62 wrote:

Just think how bad the numbers would be if eBay actually CARED about controlling scamming buyers.

The numbers aren't a surprise to those of us who are in the business of selling on eBay daily.

As you say, it would be much better if they controlled scamming buyers.

Or had fair return policies/seller metric systems in general.

Or had policies that actually supported TRS/sellers who did their job well.

Or gave sellers incentive for putting in extra work to sell on eBay.

Or didn't turn every single feature they could in to a profit line.

Or favor China sellers over US sellers in the US marketplace.

Or passed down their actual shipping discounts rather than only giving them to China/their fulfillment system.

Or fixed ANY of the technical issues where many of them have persisted from 6 months-2 years+. Including some that have a MAJOR effect on visibility, with the people who feel the effects of this tech issue can lose well over 30-50% visibility.

Or the sponsorship system that has wreaked havoc to the search engine, and caused eBay's prices to go up for customers, which means eBay is no longer appealing ahead of competing marketplaces as eBay doesn't have any other areas they can out-perform the competition.

The list can go on and on, there's MANY actions eBay could take to stop the bleeding. But that would require for them to recognize that their change of direction/policies that started in Q1 2018 was where their growth stopped and the decline started. Meanwhile, the further they go in this new direction, the more they decline.

No, eBay. This drop is not happening because of "sales tax", if it was then all the other marketplaces would be feeling the burn. And the marketing budget is the least of the problems, because the marketing budget is only for off-eBay traffic. The problems still persist even if we look at eBay's own traffic only.

EBay, for the sake of the marketplace, and all of us sellers, PLEASE open your eyes and realize that your decisions since Q1 2018 are the problem. If you really need evidence of this, I would be glad to give a presentation

Personally, I would take your presentation quite seriously.

Unfortunately, since April 2008- 12 years now- eBay's message to sellers has been loud and clear:

YOU. ARE. MEANINGLESS.  Other than as resource to be abused, bled and exploited mercilessly, that is.

Foolhardy or not, that's the company philosophy. Two days ago marked my 20th anniversary on eBay with this ID- (I actually go back to late '97 on my previous one)- and I have to say I am just in AWE of the opportunities and incredible goodwill that eBay has spent the last 12 to 15 years tinkling away. Twenty years ago eBay was universally viewed with a positive excitement that's never been seen by any merchant before or since. 

What built it was eBay's partnership with the eBay Community of "Trading Partners" that today has been devolved by eBay into the Us v. Them death match of "Buyers" and "sellers" in order to sell "protection".

Gee, sounds like Cosa Nostra, doesn't it?

Early eBay was a very successful and unique coupling of what later became known as social media with ecommerce.  Heck, I even remember closing the sale on quite a few expensive collectibles in my B&M booth by suggesting I list it on eBay for the buyer to buy HERE so they could leave feedback for all the world to see!

Now we see the chickens coming home to roost after a decade plus of bad anti- seller policies and even worse site changes and micromanagement in the 2019 GMV figures. eBay's goose is cooked. The ONLY way they can continue to increase revenue is by fleecing you.

Other than exploiting sellers, this marketplace has never had a plan other that flinging dung against a wall to see what sticks- or what sellers are willing to eat. Exploit, exploit, exploit- and all in bad faith. If it were in GOOD faith policies would actually mean something.  Instead, policies seem to be decided on a case by case basis to maximize return for eBay at cost to their paying customers- sellers.

This has all been incredibly stupid and incredibly sad. Unfortunately it's now past the point of any going back.

Apparently I'm not alone in these sentiments:

http://www.starboardvalue.com/wp-content/uploads/Starboard_Value_LP_Letter_to_EBAY_CEO_and_Board_02....

"We also believe eBay should return to its roots in targeting its historical core buyer universe of 'self-expressionists and treasure hunters', who are seeking unique, hard-to-find, or value-oriented items. "

Amen brothers and sisters. eBay... even your activist investors "get" this... why don't you?

Further:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ebay-divestiture/intercontinental-exchange-offers-to-buy-ebay-wsj...

"ICE is primarily interested in eBay’s marketplace business, and not its classified unit, which eBay has been considering selling, the report said."

Hmmmm. Sounds like there's not much confidence out there in eBay turning itself around... at all.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 151 of 154
latest reply

Well, at least ICE is skilled at technology - 'cuz eBay needs a technological overhaul.     But none of the analysts reporting on this has come up with a logical reason as to why ICE would want to buy the eBay marketplace.  

Message 152 of 154
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

E-commerce bytes with Ina Steiner has an except from a CNBC interview where Mr Shenkel stated that some of the proceeds will be used for stock buy backs, dividends and Mergers and acquisitions . Cannot copy paste this to this post.

Yes I saw that.  Which to me says it IS NOT an either / or situation.  

While fixes around here certainly don't move as fast as many of us would like, that doesn't mean they aren't working on them nor does it mean they don't have a budget for them.  It only means they don't happen as fast as lots of us would absolutely love to see.

They've been making the same mistakes, over and over and over and over, since the great fumble of holiday season 2007... 13 years. How long should one need to wait?

SOON?

I've gotten over the comments made about sellers in 2007 / 2008 and moved on.  As well I don't think any of the problems / glitches that happened in 2007 are still plaguing us today.  I think we have a new set of issues.

I did however reason somewhere that the new policy on significant site updates would no longer happen in the last quarter of the year.  That is good news.  Of course only time will tell if it is true or not.  I'm hopeful.  I'm also confident that the disaster that happened in October / November of 2019 was quite expensive for Ebay as well as sellers.  And it played a significant part in the downturn is sales for the 4th quarter for both sellers and Ebay.

The million dollar question here is will they really learn anything?  I've heard this 'no implementation in the 4th quarter' before and then they dumped that turkey on us in mid-October.  The even bigger question is will they learn anything from the flawed design, testing and implementation of that mess?  I got the distinct impression that developers tried to implement parameters from the broken 'structured catalog' on a category they knew absolutely nothing about.  Did no one research anything?

Yes, as I said above in the highlighted statement.  

Ugh - I give up. 

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 153 of 154
latest reply

Ebay needs new leadership. Their contempt for the precious TIME of their sellers is infuriating. Starting with the astonishing refusal to provide email support and going on and on and on from there. They had a much better listing tool 10 years ago than they do now!!!
Message 154 of 154
latest reply