cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A year later - is ebay missing any of us who won't use managed payments?

So after over 18 years on ebay - most as a TRS (when it meant something)  - I refused to opt into ebay managed payments, and left ebay .  

I wonder if ebay misses any of us? - when I look at the 6 figure sales I do on Amazon - I wonder if ebay misses the commission on those sales? I also wonder what the real reason was for trying to force many of us - who use other online venues, as well as our own sites,  into a seperate payment system we did not want - nor need?

I actually was just allowed to LIST a closeout of a lot worth $2000 for $850  (7 of them) ... without managed payments  - but not allowed to edit it - once I tried , I got the "must use managed payments to list or update" screen.

How does that make ANY common sense? 

Message 1 of 113
latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

Re: A year later - is ebay missing any of us who won't use managed payments?

@glasser wrote:

I also wonder what the real reason was for trying to force many of us - who use other online venues, as well as our own sites, into a seperate payment system we did not want - nor need?

No need to wonder about that.

In years past eBay watched $3-$5 billion a year in fees go to PayPal, while eBay's net income hovered around $5-$6 billion. Who wouldn't want to retain that revenue stream?

That stream went away when eBay spun off PayPal. Before that they had that income. They had the opportunity to build a MP system before they spun of PP. The tried in the past (late 1990's) to create their won system to compete with PP and failed. 

eBay is a commission based revenue company. Any sale lost to another platform is a loss to eBay.

This is it.   Ebay had that revenue stream, in a way they still do.   While they "split" the companies its still under the same general umbrella, and they two are joined at the hip.   Paypal is well established, they do not need the people from ebay any more to make it work.   So now, why not forcibly create a second paypal with managed payments and use ebay to force people into it?   They get the fees and interest from all that money they hold day to day.   While we do not use managed payments, I think it was a brilliant business move on their part to force people into it.   As long as people put up with ebay and their system, they will enjoy the revenue stream.  

Message 106 of 113
latest reply

@aabalat_fine_and_rare_wines wrote:

While they "split" the companies its still under the same general umbrella, and they two are joined at the hip.  

What "umbrella" would that be? How are they "joined at the hip"?

Message 107 of 113
latest reply

Long winded response but I doubt eBay really misses anyone that left because they did not want to transition to MP. I read eBay's quarterly reports and while the active sellers do not appear to be dwindling the last quarterly report indicated the buyers are. However, there is not a lot of detailed data on how they arrive at those numbers. I think the new Sri Lanka sellers are making up for some of the seller losses. 😀

The real reason eBay moved to MP was to increase revenues plain and simple. Their corporate leadership plainly stated that more than once. There was probably nobody happier about the divesture of PayPal than the PayPal shareholders. Out from under the constraints of the eBay corporate board their stock price has increased 617% in the last 5 years, depending on what day you look at the stock index. EBay over the last 5 years has increased about 116% which is about the average for most companies over the last 5 years. 

Nobody other than the eBay seniors knows how much or what percentage they are paying Adyen to act as the third party financial processor but you can bet Adyen is not doing it for free. Of course PayPal recently raised it's fees but they are more of a pro-active company that eBay and I suspect that is in anticipation of the proposed corporate tax rate increases. I am waiting for the other shoe to drop and eBay to increase theirs at some point. 

What I don't think eBay anticipated when they made the move to MP was the recent changes that were/are cutting into their bottom line. The new 1099 federal tax reporting requirements that will start in 2022 and those state 1099 reporting requirements that are already in place in many states. That reporting, generation and distribution of those 1099's takes resources. Had they remained with PayPal it would have been PayPal who inherited that burden. True PayPal will still have their share of reporting and dissemination to do but at least they are free of the eBay segment. Add to that the ecommerce state tax laws that are requiring eBay to collect sales tax, report it and disseminate the cash to all the states (I believe it's 43 now) on a periodic basis takes resources. There is probably more to come that eBay had not counted on and one has to wonder how much additional revenue they are taking in. 

As a seller I have not notice a lot of problems with the cash flows from the sales although it took some adjustment to get used to the delay. The fees, for now, are about the same as they were prior to MP although I believe a lot more people think they are higher simply because prior to MP they were split across eBay and PayPal. What I have noticed is that eBay's customer support has degraded to the point of being inept. The seller protection what little there was before MP seems to be getting worse and in most cases eBay has no reason to care since they still obtain their fees in most cases. Technical glitches seem to happen on a more frequent basis and fixing the problem seems to be taking longer although this is data and information eBay is never going to put into their quarterly reports. 

I seldom shop on eBay anymore simply because most of the time I can find it cheaper and obtain it quicker than I can purchasing it on eBay. In a lot of cases it's at B&M stores. The US only accounts for about 50% of the eBay sales. It will be interesting to see how the foreign sellers react as MP is rolled out to the rest of the world. 

Message 108 of 113
latest reply

Non of the systems are Angels 😇  but I'm with you 100%.

In fact, when you try to find information on Google about the millions of negative things Amazon does, you find almost NOTHING. 

Now you try the same with eBay and a ton of articles and eBay-YouTubers that make their money in YouTube and NOT on eBay pop up.

There's no more dishonest company in ghe world than AMAZON.

And I know this because I used to sell in that platform but NOT AS A SIDE INCOME but as a full time income. This was the entire years of 2016 and 2017.

1- You have no ability at all to develop your individuality. There are not lists. There's a list, and then a bunch of sellers within it. Typically with Amazon in the buybox if not the seller with the lowest price which in the race to the button makes 3 to 5 cents profit. A total loss of dignity.

2- you can't use your own photos. Everyone has to use stock photos so the news arriving to the listing can freely enjoy the work done by the first stupid who used his/her time and created the listing.

3- No exclusion list. Be ready to be scammed constantly by criminals which you can't even refuse to keep dealing with them, so dishonest AMAZON keeps making money from your suffering. 

4- Finally and no less important: Be ready for having AMAZON selling your own products if those products sell good.

They go directly to the manufacturer and start selling the same product you were selling. No investment was even needed by genius Amazon to know that info because thanks to the fools who sell in that platform, they get that information for free. A win-win.

This is well known and countless articles have been published about this in many newspapers with the exception of course of the Washmazon Post.

And here we are in a situation where you Google all this and there's almost no information about it online.

Look, I'm not an eBay defender. I'm a seller here yes but they **bleep** me off with their things a lot. But AMAZON as a solution??? Gimme a break that's the most dishonest company of the WORLD

Message 109 of 113
latest reply

then why are they stop accepting paypal, if they joined at the hip?

Message 110 of 113
latest reply

I am doing the same thing! MP was just the nail in the coffin. I did thousands buying and selling on ebay since 2009 as a seller. Past 3-4 years has been $500-$5000 watches. I don't miss losing the ebay fees. Just join FB rooms specific to what I am selling and place up for sale. Regulars come back, and I don't have to worry about "SNAD", drunken buyers remorse,.or wife didn't approve after finding out etc..,  even non payers. Wish I jumped ship a long time ago and had all those outrageous double dipping fees in my bank account. 

Message 111 of 113
latest reply

Glad to see OP is back to selling.........

@glasspackaging 

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 112 of 113
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 113 of 113
latest reply