cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A year later - is ebay missing any of us who won't use managed payments?

So after over 18 years on ebay - most as a TRS (when it meant something)  - I refused to opt into ebay managed payments, and left ebay .  

I wonder if ebay misses any of us? - when I look at the 6 figure sales I do on Amazon - I wonder if ebay misses the commission on those sales? I also wonder what the real reason was for trying to force many of us - who use other online venues, as well as our own sites,  into a seperate payment system we did not want - nor need?

I actually was just allowed to LIST a closeout of a lot worth $2000 for $850  (7 of them) ... without managed payments  - but not allowed to edit it - once I tried , I got the "must use managed payments to list or update" screen.

How does that make ANY common sense? 

Message 1 of 113
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: A year later - is ebay missing any of us who won't use managed payments?

I no longer sell on ebay. I still have the old summary page, and never switched to MP. I buy freely, but ebay has never forced me into their  "low fees mere pennies" ADYEN  situation. I sell my things locally through Facebook. At 74, I don't need the stress. I miss the old Ebay days when not much went askew. I am happy being a kitchen table seller in a dusty little town. Battling a faceless interloper over the phone is such an undignified experience. My best wishes to each of you.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 15 of 113
latest reply
112 REPLIES 112

@glasspackaging 

No. But it looks like you might be having second thoughts. 

No one asked, but I am looking forward to the day when having feedback default sorted by relevance seems right.
Message 2 of 113
latest reply

I wonder if ebay misses any of us? - when I look at the 6 figure sales I do on Amazon - I wonder if ebay misses the commission on those sales?

They would like to have you, but they do not miss you. How many of the items from those sellers  were truly unique such that buyers here were unable to find a similar item at a similar price from a similar seller? eBay only cares THAT there is a sale on their site, not WHO that sale goes to.

With the glut of sellers and items here, I doubt very much that any seller's gross sales are completely lost to eBay when that seller leaves.

I also wonder what the real reason was for trying to force many of us - who use other online venues, as well as our own sites, into a seperate payment system we did not want - nor need?

No need to wonder about that.

In years past eBay watched $3-$5 billion a year in fees go to PayPal, while eBay's net income hovered around $5-$6 billion. Who wouldn't want to retain that revenue stream?

Message 3 of 113
latest reply

I also wonder what the real reason was for trying to force many of us - who use other online venues, as well as our own sites, into a seperate payment system we did not want - nor need?

In years past eBay watched $3-$5 billion a year in fees go to PayPal, while eBay's net income hovered around $5-$6 billion. Who wouldn't want to retain that revenue stream?

That stream went away when eBay spun off PayPal. Before that they had that income. They had the opportunity to build a MP system before they spun of PP. The tried in the past (late 1990's) to create their won system to compete with PP and failed. 

eBay is a commission based revenue company. Any sale lost to another platform is a loss to eBay.

Message 4 of 113
latest reply

1: Does Amazon permit you to process the payments through Paypal?

2: How often do you receive your payouts?

3: Did Amazon overstep their bounds and ask you for your SSN, checking account at some point?

4: Are you aware you will most likely need to enroll in Managed Payments in order to get the payout for your $2,000 or $850 closeout lot?

5: Are you aware that neither eBay nor anyone else runs a Managed Payments Martyr Hall of Fame for those who refused to enroll?

Message 5 of 113
latest reply

No they don't miss you!  For everyone that leaves, new sellers arrive.  Do you enjoy paying Amazon more in fees?  MP holdout I was until option to leave, so sign up I did.  I have no problems at all.  Money transfers on Tuesday, hits my bank on Wednesday.  Paperwork is easy to process.  MP has actually been an easy transition. I hope with the sellers that leave they are in my category so it gives me less competition.  If you are happy to be gone, why do you come back to complain?

Message 6 of 113
latest reply

I wonder how much of that new revenue stream they are paying out to Adyen?

Message 7 of 113
latest reply

eBay is a commission based revenue company. Any sale lost to another platform is a loss to eBay.

Pretty sure the interest they gain from holding MP sellers funds will make up for that loss LOL

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Payments/Has-eBay-changed-policy-on-holds-for-returns/td-p/31769178/ju...

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 8 of 113
latest reply

It's a hoot when someone who sells on Amazon, comes here complaining about MP. Amazon's pay system is worse then eBay's. You have to give ALL the same information, AND MORE, to sell on Amazon. I know, because I have accounts on both platforms. 

Does eBay miss you? Not in the least. With millions of other sellers willing to comply, you are not even an after thought. However, I bet you are missing eBay at this point. YOU are the one losing potential sales and paying higher fees. Any seller on Amazon, NEEDS eBay to liquidate items that can't be sold on the river. 

Good luck getting paid if your item sells. No registration, no payment will be sent. 

Message 9 of 113
latest reply

@dryophelia wrote:

@glasspackaging 

No. But it looks like you might be having second thoughts. 

None whatsover -  just dumping out some overstock without wanting to impact my Amazon sales

Message 10 of 113
latest reply

@luckythewinner wrote:

I wonder if ebay misses any of us? - when I look at the 6 figure sales I do on Amazon - I wonder if ebay misses the commission on those sales?

They would like to have you, but they do not miss you. How many of the items from those sellers  were truly unique such that buyers here were unable to find a similar item at a similar price from a similar seller? eBay only cares THAT there is a sale on their site, not WHO that sale goes to.

With the glut of sellers and items here, I doubt very much that any seller's gross sales are completely lost to eBay when that seller leaves.

There's a flaw in your reasoning.

eBay doesn't run managed payments, a company called Adyen does. That revenue that PayPal was getting, Adyen now gets, probably at a lower rate than PayPal got, but ebay is still losing a large chunk of revenue to the payment processor.

As to the OP: Why would they? There are plenty of others, even in your niche that are willing to keep selling here.

Unless you're selling truly OOAK stuff that's in super high demand, you're just another nameless, faceless seller.

Oh and just out of curiosity, if you're doing so well on Amazon, why did you step out of your ivory tower to come back and slum it with us peons?

Message 11 of 113
latest reply

@onlinecentral wrote:

4: Are you aware you will most likely need to enroll in Managed Payments in order to get the payout for your $2,000 or $850 closeout lot?

5: Are you aware that neither eBay nor anyone else runs a Managed Payments Martyr Hall of Fame for those who refused to enroll?

LOL - #4 - no I won't ... they either pay into paypal - or it does not get shipped.... period ... we use paypal as an alternate on our own website either way.

#5 - of course ....  

Do you even know what a BUSINESS account on amazon is? ...  In 16 years on amazon - never a problem with a payment- according to online and ecommerce news - many many many problems with Managed Payments on ebay .....     we also do walmart - after their managed payments and minor issues, no way would I let ebay NEAR our money.

Message 12 of 113
latest reply

@cordell1 wrote:

No they don't miss you!  For everyone that leaves, new sellers arrive.  Do you enjoy paying Amazon more in fees?  MP holdout I was until option to leave, so sign up I did.  I have no problems at all.  Money transfers on Tuesday, hits my bank on Wednesday.  Paperwork is easy to process.  MP has actually been an easy transition. I hope with the sellers that leave they are in my category so it gives me less competition.  If you are happy to be gone, why do you come back to complain?

I do enjoy doing 6 figure business every year for 16 straight years on Amazon - compared to high 5 figure on ebay in the past.....     if that means I pay a tad higher fees- then it is OK ,.. as I put $$$ in the bank - not percentage free differences.

As to why I came back  - not complaining - just an observation ...      

Message 13 of 113
latest reply

@readabouthorses wrote:

I wonder how much of that new revenue stream they are paying out to Adyen?

BINGO

Message 14 of 113
latest reply

I no longer sell on ebay. I still have the old summary page, and never switched to MP. I buy freely, but ebay has never forced me into their  "low fees mere pennies" ADYEN  situation. I sell my things locally through Facebook. At 74, I don't need the stress. I miss the old Ebay days when not much went askew. I am happy being a kitchen table seller in a dusty little town. Battling a faceless interloper over the phone is such an undignified experience. My best wishes to each of you.

Message 15 of 113
latest reply