Did you mean: 

Lets talk about eBays Managed payment program

Who likes it?
Who Hates it?

Message 1 of 70
latest reply
69 REPLIES 69

Re: Lets talk about eBays Managed payment program

I tried to set-up my account before the June 15th deadline, and eBay wouldn't even allow for me to enter my banking information in order to do managed payments. Now my account has been frozen, and I cannot list items for sale. eBay tells me that after 23 years of selling on this platform, that I now have to start over from scratch with a new username on eBay.ca (I'm in Canada),  and deal in Canadian currency.

eBay isn't interested in even trying to help, because I'm too small of a seller to make an impact worth helping.

I'm completely lost on what to do now. I've got so much stuff left to sell, and no platform to sell it on. I could especially use the extra money, as I'm financially stressed, and few extra dollars a month I made selling stuff helped me pay my monthly bills. Nope, eBay doesn't care. Thanks for nothing eBay.

Message 61 of 70
latest reply

I agree, but it’s about making money and not having to deal with another party to pay sellers! I have been using eBay for 20yrs to buy mostly and I sell very few items. I have noticed that when I search for the items I collect or nearly anything I am looking for, I get a fraction of the results that I use to! Also sellers are changing way more for items than before as well, especially shipping charges. It’s unbelievable how much some of these sellers are inflating the shipping to compensate for the loss on the money eBay takes! 

It’s also about paying taxes on sales. If they want my checking account number, then I’m fine with that as I have an account specifically for eBay that was linked to PayPal. I only kept the minimum in it to get a free account. But now they require you to give them your Social Security Number and I’m not doing that! It’s not their job to play IRS and I have reported everything that I have ever sold which is nothing close to the amount of stuff I’ve purchased from dealers that are now gone! I had my own Residential Electric Service Company for over 20yrs and payed estimated taxes quarterly that my CPA set up according to my income and I always submitted a spread sheet for any items that I sold on eBay and other sites. So, eBay needs to stop treating adults like children and let them be responsible for any taxes they owe. I think it’s a political issue that a recently former President, who ironically doesn’t pay taxes has placed on internet sites. It’s just not the eBay that I use to love to find items that I didn’t need but wanted and now they are not there! 

They have screwed themselves with this issue of complete control. It’s especially going to hurt those who have an item that someone else wants to complete a collection of some sort or the buyer looking for an item that now only one person on eBay has for sale. The seller will realize that they are the only one with the item then be able to price gauge collector’s  by not having more competition now! eBay gets a larger commission on the higher priced items, so why do they care! Now since they no longer are the owners of PayPal, eBay is getting 17.3% on the Final Value Sale instead of 17.9%. Numbers may not be exact, but they are close. Just read about it on another discussion board. Yet sellers seem to have problems getting payed! Sounds like they are depositing funds, holding them, then issue the payment. Granted interest rates are less than a penny, it adds up when you’re doing this to millions of people. I just think from a sellers stand point, the new system screws those who have stuff that they can make a few extra bucks on and sell three or four items a year. 

These people who don’t have an issue with this new update to selling should be extremely worried about hackers as their has been a huge amount of this going on and it’s generally from a Foreign Country! eBay has been hacked into before and it just doesn’t make sense to have all of your credentials in one place!  They lost me with wanting my SS# in order to sell a few things that generally aren’t worth the time for what I make on the item. 

Message 62 of 70
latest reply

I agree, I don’t have any issues with people who don’t mind having all of their credentials in one location. It’s a choice and if a seller feels secure in giving eBay their SS#, then that’s their choice. Between the 2014 hack, where I was able to shut down my PayPal account before it was breached and the time I called eBay support and the representative confirmed that I had 2 gift cards with $200 each on them and then she put me on hold and told me that only one was showing a balance, I sure as hell don’t trust them with my SS# for the few items I was going to try and sell. I understand that this is a full time job for some sellers, but for me it was more to help others with items they where looking for than anything else. By the time I packaged, shipped and got paid, I made about half of what I sold the item for. It was more of a pocket change hobby than a job. I just hope that this doesn’t kill off eBay completely as I still buy items from Japan and Vinyl LPs.

Message 63 of 70
latest reply

Very helpful information. I’ll have to take a screen shot so if I do decide that I am willing to give them my SS# then I’ll be able to set up a sellers account in the future!  Also you provided the original posting enough information that they should be able to get paid! 

Message 64 of 70
latest reply

@comics-scifi-collectibles wrote:

@buythebead wrote:

Who likes it?
Who Hates it?

@buythebead   I like it. Since I am a TRS+ seller my discount now applies to the total fees charged so my fees overall are actually less than they were.  

I have weekly payouts on Tuesdays and the money is in my bank on Wednesday morning.   I prefer this over the "daily" deposit where I would have to check to see if a payout went through on different days.  

Weekly payouts work fine for me too since I only transferred money out of paypal a couple of times a month. 

The only issue I have an issue with is the SS# part. It should be set up in a manner where you can have a checking account on file, to get payment and when you reach the $600.00 threshold, you get notified and in order to get paid for anything over $600, you then have to add your SS#! I report everything I make from any sale to my CPA annually, even if it’s $200 for the lawn equipment I sold to our yard guy a few years ago. I just don’t like having all of my credentials that a hacker could get thier hands on and set up numerous credit cards and accounts up in my name, essentially Identity Theft! 

With the number of companies who have been hacked in this year alone, this is a goldmine of information and they could sell the information or open multiple accounts in another persons name. I know two individuals who have been victims of Identity Theft and their credit has never been right since it happened. They also had to spend thousands on lawyers and some of the merchants who wouldn’t resolve the issue. It was several weeks before one of them realized that he had been a victim.  He was out of town and stranded because none of his credit cards would go through. His wife had to wire him $1,000 to get a hotel room and when he got home he found out his identity had been stolen, he owed out over $100,000 on various credit cards!

Thats what concerns me the most with this new payment management system! Who knows if or when eBay might be victim of these hackers? The biggest problem is that most of these people are in foreign countries and they never get caught or prosecuted! 

Message 65 of 70
latest reply

Awful!  I hate it.  LET'S TAKE OUR BUSINESS SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

Message 66 of 70
latest reply

I thought it was a scam email.  I deleted it right away until I saw it in my eBay's mail box.  I have been with eBay for 14+ years but still, receive the same request!  Frustrated!!!  

Message 67 of 70
latest reply

As a 15 year veteran of selling on eBay, I was resistant to the idea of Managed Payments and my resistance has been given MASSIVE validation by the negative aspects of managed payment implementation.
Whatever good eBay was trying to do has been turned into an accounting nightmare, particularly in association with shipping via Federal Express. 
I manage two accounts, a personal account and  entrepreneurship teaching tool, something of a business incubator account used for training others how to sell on eBay.
Quite literally, I do not need or want weekly or daily payouts and eBay has prevented anyone from opting out of these two short sighted options.

And eBay has felt functionally unresponsive to sellers virtually the whole time. 
Why is truly good customer service rare as hen's teeth at eBay?
The rationalizations and excuses from eBay corporate have set a new high bar for obfuscation and bull**bleep**ting their customers and clients.
Who needs this crap?
I certainly don't.

Message 68 of 70
latest reply

Thread started in January, and managed payments is oviously here to stay

This thread needs to be locked

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 69 of 70
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 70 of 70
latest reply